Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 01, 2020, 05:10:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's the download for a duet for ocarina  (Read 4834 times)
Cliff

« on: October 19, 2008, 04:50:08 am »

Here's an ocarina duet shared by a customer:

I decided to be creative tonight, and help fill the void of fun duets for ocarina.

Chasing Butterflies is an original composition I wrote tonight; intermediate level of difficulty, for two ocarinas.

It's in the key of C so the music is pretty easy to read; but some of the fingerings get a bit tricky if it's played fast. I tried to give a nice balance between Ocarina 1 (with the melody) and Ocarina 2 (still getting something interesting to play). I sang alto in choir - and got really tired of the same boring line over and over. So the part 2 is meant to be a bit more fun than that!

You're welcome to print out and share the music for personal and educational use. And I'd enjoy hearing feedback if you play it!

The song sheet music can be found at:

http://skywind8.livejournal.com/258209.html

Jenny

Good for You!!
I have tried to get some conversations going with little success. I only have one ocarina, so I can't do a duet, of course, but I am glad to know that somebody out there is actually checking out the forums! I wrote the letter about the music/art project and haven't gotten a single reply.

Judy

I am checking the forums a few times a week, and would love to have real conversation going on. It's too bad these forums don't email us when someone posts a reply - that would make it easier.

I am also planning to write some ocarina solo pieces, so, sometime in the next couple months there will probably be more up, from me. I am really enjoying the instrument and the creative process.

Jenny

How long have you been playing? I have had mine for a few months now. I am amazed that I can actually read music and play. I have also greatly improved in my fingering. I have very small fingers, though I am an adult, and it is hard to keep the larger holes covered completely. I have a "C". I had learned to play a recorder when I was a child.

Judy

I've been playing ocarina for about a month, but I've played other instruments before. I started playing piano, self taught, at age 7; then played saxophone in band, sang in choir, played recorder (self taught), tried flute. I've been reading sheet music for a very long time.

I do still have a little trouble covering the ocarina's thumb holes, but I'm getting more accurate at hitting them correctly. Practice helps a lot.

I was playing outdoors at a retreat campsite over the weekend, and people could hear me quite a long ways away. It was surprising how far. And people kept saying it sounded so lovely floating on the breeze. I want to get even better, so I can enjoy doing more of that.

Jenny

Yes, I like to play mine outside when I walk the dog. The sound echos off the woods. Smiley I have found if I put on a good hand creme or even vaseline on my fingertips before I play, that I can seal the holes better. Also somehow I am learning not to get so much saliva in the mouthpiece. I hope to get brave enough to go play for patients in a nursing home.

Judy

Most of my old favorite Christmas carols fit within the range of the ocarina.

I had quite the surprise when I discovered how difficult it is to play Chesnuts Roasting on an Open Fire. There are a lot of chromatics in that one, some of which are tricky to finger properly. It sounds good when I can play it at all, tho. Hehe. The "Sound of Music" movie-songbook also has a lot of fun ones that the ocarina can play.

The more I practice, the less trouble I have accurately closing the holes with a light touch. I do still struggle a bit for balance with the high notes and barely any holes covered.

Jenny

I have also been using old song books that came with a keyboard. I also enjoy picking out songs from memory. "Lord of the Dance" starts on C to F. There is just one flat and that is B. "We Gather Together" starts on G and has no sharps or flats. They are fun to play. Do you hope to play for people, or are you just enjoying the music? I wish I knew some people here in middle Tenn. that I could play with. Smiley

Judy

I've been playing since february and I just love it! I haven't really played for many people but I play outside all the time. Walking with the dog or just sitting in the field. I found the mountain ocarina carries forever! I have a clay ocarina that I like the sound of better but for some reason it catches the spit alot more and it plays more than loud enough it doesn't quite reach the same volume the mountain ocarina does.

Matt

Hey, Matt!
Are you a home schooler? I was a home school mom for twelve years! I miss it, too. Anyway, I wrote the letter about the music/art project. It really works. You can really turn your ocarina into almost a work of art. It is much more comfortable to wear around your neck, too. Smiley
Keep playing, buddy. You sound like a neat kid!

Judy

I've noticed that this is the most recent blog posting. Has everyone given up? That would be a shame. I learned some things by reading through what has been posted from years back. I think there is much to share. Love to see some answers.

Cecil

Howdy. I haven't had much luck carrying on a conversation here. I am about to send in for some more music. I want something to play at our local Renaissance Fair in May. I think it will be fun. Smiley
Anyway, I am a Mom. Are you grown or a student? Do we ever stop being students? Wink
Good luck and keep playing!

Judy

Isn't playing a plastic ocarina at a Renaissance fair cheating? Or frowned upon by the holders of the fair? I've only recently started playing the instrument in the actual key it's in. It's not difficult, just takes some practice and it opens up a whole new world of music!

Matt

Hey, I pay to get in. They take plastic at the gate!! I can bring my ocarina! LOL
Anyway, I have decorated the cord with jewel beads, and I hope to put some kind of detail work on the sides before then.
I have a ceramic one I bought at the fair, but it chipped when I looked at it crooked, and it doesn't sound nearly as good. Besides it is harder to play. Smiley

Judy

You should look into a 10-hole clay ocarina. They sound very nice and they won't offend the "ye olde faire" people either! Actually at the last faire I was at I almost pulled out my mountain ocarina and started playing along with "What do you do with a drunken sailor". Yes I carry mine with me wherever I go. Oh, any good suggestions for a carrying case? I'm sick of cleaning out the lint!

Matt

Matt,
This may sound odd, but I found a case that suits holding the G and C together. I went to the local Sportsman’s Warehouse and looked through the magazine belt holsters (for handguns) and found a nice case that securely holds both my ocarinas by my side. It’s not too bulky and I know about the lint issue. That's why I pursued a belt case. I couldn't find one I liked either in a small camera belt case or a cell phone belt case.

Rob

Where on earth do I find a ten hole clay ocarina? It must finger like a recorder.
Thanks for the input.

Judy

I bought my ten-hole ocarina online. www.Anitasocarinas.com and I am very pleased with it. It fingers almost exactly like the mountain ocarina except it can't play the low b and it plays one note higher. I hadn't thought of a gun holster, to be honest that's pretty funny. Packing musical heat! haha

Matt

I checked out the website and a couple of others. Is yours a Zelda type? How does it sound next to the Mountain Ocarina?
I really don't want a four hole one, because the music always comes with pictures instead of noted music. I like being able to play from sheet music. Did the Anitas come with sheet music?

Judy

I bought the sweet potato alto G ocarina and I love it. The sound is just so beautiful. I prefer the alto to Mountain Ocarina's soprano but the MO carries further and plays just a little louder. Her's do not come with sheet music but I use the 300 celtic song book plus I bought a classical and classic rock simple piano song books. I would recomend anitas ocarinas to anyone!

Matt

What's the highest note that it plays? Can you play all the songs in the book without cutting notes?
Thanks for the info, by the way.

Judy

Oh, I looked back and saw that you already answered my question. Thanks again.

Judy

It doesn't play the low B but to be honest I've found substituting a C in it's place works just as well. It shows it rarely anyhow.

Matt

If I can scrape up the extra money, I will get one. They are beautiful works of art as well.
One more question. You got the alto G. Is the fingering different? In other words, what note do you play when all holes are covered?

Judy

When everything is covered you have a low C or rather since it's a G instrument technically you have a G and then it goes up from there.

Matt

That's a great idea, magazine holders as a case for the MO! Might also check out the Army/Navy stores if there are any in your area. I often find similar stuff there cheaper than at the name brand sports stores.

Bill

Has anyone tried playing the song on a g ocarina even though it is writen on a c. My ocarina is in its way in the mail but i'm not new to music.

Ben 

Hi! Back to the ocarina case issue -- I found a small camera case (by Case Logic) at Target (Wal-Mart has them, too). It's the perfect size for my Mountain Ocarina Poly G, and only cost about $4.00. It has a web strap on the back -- you can either run a belt through it or use a caribiner to attach it to a belt loop.

I'm a week into learning to play the ocarina, and I'm having a blast!! Judy in Tennessee, where do you live in relation to Clarksville? I live in northern Indiana, but have relatives in Clarksville. The next time I go to visit, I'm going to introduce my niece (an accomplished flute player) to my ocarina -- bet she'll take to it immediately!!

Marsha

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: