Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
January 19, 2021, 02:33:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vibrato  (Read 31595 times)
Spatolo

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 01:34:59 pm »

I was going to include "leg twitching" and "washer sitting" in my Vibrato video, but I didn't want to overwhelm beginners with too many advanced techniques.Smiley

The truth is, that you're too lame for us skilled ocarina masters.
Anyhow.
Why to stress your abdomen if you have a washing machine anyhow?

Since Dan's hint, I always go around with a washing machine and a power supply. Now Mountain Ocarinas are become a little less practical for me to carry around, but you can't even imagine how many people I attract now.

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 04:06:55 pm »

I knew that washing machine idea would pay off! 400 posts man!! that's just rubbing it in my face! Smiley

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 05:44:40 pm »

I knew that washing machine idea would pay off! 400 posts man!! that's just rubbing it in my face! Smiley

Will Cliff ever catch up now that Spatolo has passed him?

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Secretagentdan

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 05:45:23 pm »

I'm trying to just hit 400 man!

RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 05:48:55 pm »

This post is 100 for me.

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Secretagentdan

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »

my keyboard is melting! Help!! Smiley must type faster...!

lapislazuli
Active Newbie

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 12:49:34 pm »

I must be a necromancer, this is my second post on this forum and the second thread I'm resurrecting!  Hope it's not bothering anyone.

There is one other way to produce a vibrato for some notes. Take a note, play a trill on it. Keeping the trilling motion going but with the trilling finger coming close to covering only part of the hole. If done right it will cause a wavering in pitch. With experimentation it is possible to produce a really good sounding vibrato on long notes in this manner. It is easier to show someone how it is done then trying to describe it.

Just wanted to say that if you're ever playing baroque music or baroque-sounding music on your MO, this is a very appropriate way to produce vibrato (this is how you produced vibrato if you were at least slightly upper-class in the 16th century -- vibrato with the breath was what the commoners did  Smiley).

Crow
Active Newbie

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:02 pm »

Hi. My name's Cory, and I live in North East PA. I have yet to get my first Ocarina, but I will be getting one very soon. As I was looking over this thread, it reminded me very much of singing. I'm a vocalist, and have been singing for nearly five years now. If ocarina vibrato is anything like singing ( and from what I've seen in here with diaphragm's and such, it is) one thing you have to remember is that you can't force vibrato. Eventually, vibrato will develop on it's own if you breathe correctly. The most important thing to remember, though, is that you can't lock the diaphragm (IE: Putting too much unnatural pressure on it) or you'll limit your breathing severely. Rule #1 for singing, and any activity: You just have to remember to find what works for you.

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 03:12:46 pm »

Good input, Cory.

Your comment made me think of adding one of my own.

Vibrato is easier and less forced when we breathe in deeply “through our stomach.”  To do this, we may have to sit up straight on the front of our chair or in some other breathing-friendly position. Obviously, we fill our lungs, not our stomach, but if we breathe properly, our stomach will move out first before our chest cavity.

It’s a natural tendency for adults to want to keep a flat stomach, so –unlike little children— we often develop the habit of expanding mainly our chest cavity while keeping our stomach tucked in.  However, to take really deep, healthy, controllable breaths, we have to let our stomach move out a good bit before our chest cavity, the way we breathe when we sleep. As our diaphragm moves down, it naturally pushes out our stomach.  With our diaphragm in this downward position and with a comfortably deep breath on board, we’ll have a lot easier time producing and controlling vibrato… eventually, with enough practice. 

As an added benefit, the practice of deep, slow breathing tends to reduce stress and improve health.

ralyn43
Active Newbie

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 02:08:49 am »

As a sax player, I use my embouchure and jaw motion to achieve vibrato, as a violin player the rocking motion of my hand and finger achieve it, but on the ocarina I understand that I achieve vibrato by oscillation of the diaphragm. Can you recommend some exercises that will help me, a newbie on this instrument, to develop beautiful vibrato like Karl's?

I often feel that the vibrato is overrated. In some fast passages, there is no need for vibrato at all. I also play the flute and piccolo. I purposely try to hold the vibrato down because it is often overdone on these two instruments. The MO gets a beautiful sound without any ornamentation, so be careful when adding the vibrato.

bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 06:56:46 am »

I agree. There is enough vibrato in the world without my adding to it.

4efs

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 03:54:11 am »

Hey, hey...Hey now, there are those of us who have a hard time holding back that really um... wide, wavy...   um... quality.

Be nice now or  I'll need to use my basso profundo Brothers' youthful comeback (when he was teased about his operatic vibrato): 
..."Vibrato is the natural by-product of resonance."   Cheesy

« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 05:32:50 am by 4efs » Logged

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Harp Player

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 05:52:52 am »

Vibrato is not one of the things I was ever very good at.  I can do a hand wah on the harmonica, and a few dozen other things, but I just can't get a good sounding vibrato.

bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:23 am »

Vibrato is not one of the things I was ever very good at. 

Me neither, that's why I'm trying to make a virtue out of my shortcomings  Grin

4efs

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:03 am »

It seems vibrato's are kinda like curly hair: If you don't have it you want it, if you've got it you'd often rather not.

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: