Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 07, 2020, 12:46:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hack your ocarina contest!  (Read 14047 times)
Spatolo

« on: November 15, 2008, 11:59:11 am »

Ok, I painted a spare ocarina. It's a pretty silly design but I liked to see if those pens (made to label CDs) were good on polycarb and they are (apart from the tip, way too thick). It seems the paint will last. Perhaps I'll get some very nice painting tools and I'll fine art-craft (LOL) an ocarina to carry around. Anyhow, this can be of inspiration for others. Well, actually that video quality is pure CRAP   Undecided. It almost hurts me. Anyhow, again:

I like the back (the thumb side) more.

Also, I'm thinking about using a dremel to carve a MO to a certain extent. In the carved parts it would be possible to glue stuff, like sand from a beatiful beach... or small tiny stones or various colours, natural or not... and lots of other stuff.

VTrish, the obsessed crafter! What do you think about these ideas?

(forum sidenote. I know it's a video but it's not about playing the instrument as the other section is supposed to be... I think). Anyhow, Cliff, feel free to move it if you like so.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:00:44 pm by Spatolo » Logged
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 03:54:42 pm »

You know, this is something that is relevant to the other thread about how to get people interested in MOs.  In particular, young people like to personalize things like cell phones and other accessories.  While a glazed ceramic ocarina isn't so easy to mod, I think you've discovered that quite a lot can be done to a polycarbonate, without damaging it.

Cliff

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 04:04:34 pm »

This is a very cool idea spatolo. And yes, also agree ubi...

Hmmm... other ideas I've heard would be to customize the neck cord, beads, etc.

Thanks. Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 04:52:21 pm »

That is a cool design Spatolo! I like how it came out, what are those markers called? I've got some design ideas that could be fun. Dan!

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Spatolo

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:29:46 pm »

do you REALLY like it? I do it but not that much... only a tiny bit :-). It was only a try anyhow. I have in mind a simpler design but I have to find the best colors.
Those are "KOH-I-NOOR Office CD/DVD Marker DB 057".

One problem with them is that sometimes I got an homogeneous surface, in other places I can see the sign of the marker's tip. Probably there's a way to work around it, but also it can probabily be better to find some painting suited for polycarb, to give with a brush. Also, if such a color exists, it would be better if it's non-toxic.

We should search some DIY forums or sites in my opinion and see what we could find!

Dan: if you care I can send you close-up pics so you can get a better idea of my results (considering that I get there in no more than 10 minutes, exaggerating)

Spatolo

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:15:43 pm »

Hell I cant' expect anybody to ask for it  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes After all they are not that bad for being the very first. I now have in mind a medieval design, with blue and brown colors, and some medieval icon on it; like a shield, or a moon painted across a side, the top and the bottom. But that design I have somehow in my mind would require a very tiny brush, good colors, and patience. And another ocarina, which I actually have :-)

You can find them in high resolution here, so you can see closely how raw they are.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/febs/sets/72157609124199018/

Docjazz4

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:36:12 pm »

Wow, what an awesome idea! I don't know if I'll be painting my ocs anytime soon, but I love that I have the option xD

Cliff

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 02:41:05 am »

Looks like acrylic lacquer is said to work well on polycarbonate.

In small quantities, model paint like:

"Testors Pactra" paint is mentioned

For larger quantities, in cheaper spray paint packaging:

Use Krylon interior/exterior paint. It's acrylic lacquer, just like Pactra. I've talked to a few RC car guys and anyone that paints alot of bodies says Pactra is too expensive, and the Krylon works great. It's what I used on my hood and it's held up great.
Krylon 5 marble interior/exterior

Which I believe can be had at any hardware store or Home Depot.

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic/86841/display.aspx

So it looks like you can just get a testors model paint set like:

http://www.ehobbies.com/tes9155.html

I'm definitely going to have to do some playing. This looks fun.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 02:46:02 am by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Spatolo

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:17:03 am »

I'm definitely going to have to do some playing. This looks fun.

I've thought that we should not underextimate the importance of using safe colours (I mean, for health). Even if you're not going to paint the part you put into your mouth (but it would be cool if a 100% safe and resistanc colour would allow that) you're keeping the item really close to your mouth, breathing into it (and somehow breathing FROM it when you take breath), keeping at your fingertips, wear it, and the like.
Not to be paranoid, but this is not the outer shell of a car, it's something more close to our bodies, we should take this in consideration. Too lazy now to do resarches, too.  Tongue. I will someday. Of course if nobody will before Roll Eyes

Cliff

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 11:36:30 am »

Thanks for pointing this out Spatolo. I totally agree.

Myung
Active Newbie

YARLY

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 07:01:24 pm »

How about a MO oc silicone skin, Like the ones they make for cellphones and iPods and whatnot. You could have several colours and designs. You could even have a little loop to hang on a cellphone strap orso. I like the idea of customisation alot. Somehow the MO's seem more suited for this than other ocarinas.

Cliff

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 07:20:56 pm »

How about a MO oc silicone skin

That's a cool idea!

FWIW... MO would love to have people other than us develop complimentary products for our ocs  Smiley

Seriously.

There are all kinds of music books, learning materials, etc. that could support the ocarina (ours or anyone else's ). Karl has chosen to specialize in the Celtic genre ( which is not difficult to observe  Smiley by our books, recordings and vids ) but if someone wanted to develop and sell products that were complimentary... it would only help us... and hopefully them. Jazz, rock? all kinds of folk music, etc.

I know from corresponding with our customers that there are some people who are *very* experienced musically who could do this type of thing if they were interested and had the time. Professionals and amateurs who live and breathe music.

And there very well may be someone who works in an industry where they make silicone cell phone covers and know that it would be easy to do for an oc. Who knows....

Just plant a thought seed for anyone who might be inclined.

And those materials certainly wouldn't have to be only for your ocs.

Just a thought.

FredDooolie

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 05:01:19 am »

Maybe I'll steam punk mine. Brass color and lots of rivet heads and stuff.

... There is too much sax and violins on TV these days. Whatever happened to ukuleles and ocarinas?
Tamar
Active Newbie

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 06:31:38 pm »

I like the steampunk idea. That could end up looking very sharp  Cool

I hadn't thought about painting my ocarina. Now I've got all these questions swimming around my head. I'm wondering if acrylic will wear off with handling - anyone have any experience there? I'd love to do a silver branching design, and maybe even use masking tape so I can get really clean lines.

I might even use nailpolish, but if I screwed up I'm not sure what nailpolish remover would do to the plastic.

Spatolo

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 06:42:36 pm »

Nailpolish remover would meld polycarbonate (I discovered it personally). So you should paint the borders of your patterns with a pencil and be careful if you will paint it with nailpolish.

Which is a great idea indeed.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: