Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 19, 2019, 02:28:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminum G Ocarina  (Read 30971 times)
Cliff

« on: November 30, 2009, 10:55:25 pm »

Here is some information on the aluminum Mountain Ocarina, key of G:

• Price: $79.95
  • Length: 4.5 inches or 11.4 cm
  • Tonal range: F#5 - B6
  • Machined from aircraft grade aluminum
  • Colors: Brass/gold, Red, Blue
  • Hardcoat anodized to provide a hard, scratch-resistant, attractive surface
  • Interior liner which provides thermal insulation and resists moisture condensation in the windways

• Price: $79.95
  • Length: 4.5 inches or 11.4 cm
  • Tonal range: F#5 - B6
  • Machined from aircraft grade aluminum
  • Colors: Brass/gold, Red, Blue
  • Hardcoat anodized to provide a hard, scratch-resistant, attractive surface
  • Interior liner which provides thermal insulation and resists moisture condensation in the windways

The YouTube Debut of the Blue Aluminum G Ocarina

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:41:41 pm by Cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Cliff

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:48 pm »

A few pictures of the aluminum Mountain Ocarinas collection:

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Twist

"Ars celare verum"

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:07:33 pm »

Beautiful.

Too bad I already own 3 Warmstone and 2 Poly.

I really like the blue and red ones.

Twist

Twist
"Ars celare verum"
Tox
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:31:07 pm »

Just finished ordering a blue one of these beauties. If they look half as good in person as they do in the pictures ill be one very happy camper. Its a good thing ive checked the site a few times a day since Cliff said they would be in stock soon.  Wink

Sorry im a little giddy atm, been waiting for this moment for over a year, and the other colour options came as a pleasent supprise. The blue one ive ordered will go nicely with my Warmstone C (which is Black with a similar blue centre band).  Grin

Here is hoping it gets through the end of year mail rush to get here... well as long as it gets here im happy.  Smiley

On a side note The red is also spectacular looking, but wouldn't have gone with my warmstone and im a blue kind of a guy.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:45:43 pm by Tox » Logged

<Please insert generic & cheesy one liner>
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:10:20 am »

Mine (blue) arrived today, and I've been playing it for about an hour.

My initial impressions are:

1.  The tapered mouthpiece, like the poly's, is nice.  It really does make the ocarina more stable, because the lips can actually grip it a bit better.

2.  The weight of it also stabilizes it very well in the fingertips.

3.  It's more slippery than the other models.  This doesn't seem to be a problem, but it definitely gives it a different feel.

4.  The sound, as expected, is very very similar to the other MOs.  I've noticed that on the warmstone, the high D (concert A) is sensitive and easy to play sharp, whereas on the poly it is less sensitive.  I have no idea why this should be so, but in this respect the aluminum is more like the poly, no doubt because it's lined in exactly the same way.

5.  The color is gorgeous.

6.  The thumb holes are recessed, exactly like those on the poly.  The added weight of the aluminum actually helps to press the ocarina down on the thumbs a bit more.

I'll be giving it a road test at open mic at the Mermaid Inn in an hour or two.  I think the blue will look very cool.  And of course no ocarina is really broken in until some ale has dribbled into it.

Edit: I'll probably repeat these points in a video review sometime this week.

Ubizmo

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:19:52 am by ubizmo » Logged
ubizmo

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 06:49:20 pm »

That video isn't made yet, but I've been playing the aluminum G quite a bit.  I notice that the extra weight allows me to "manhandle" the ocarina more.  It's hard to explain, but it allows me to be a bit more free in the way I hold the ocarina, and somehow that affects the way I play.

Example:  I've been practicing "New York State of Mind," which is a song that has a lot of emotion in it.  I play it on the aluminum, then on the warmstone, and back and forth.  I find that my playing is just a tiny bit more inhibited on the warmstone.  Maybe it's just a reaction from playing the aluminum first, but it feels like I have to be a bit more careful with the warmstone.

On that particular song, there are some passages that go up high and move around between D and E a few times, and of course this is one of the challenges of ocarina playing.  I want a good clear transition between the notes, with no "bleeding", and that requires firm closure with the thumb.  Because of the tapered mouthpiece of the aluminum, I'm able to grip the ocarina a bit with my lips and really clamp my thumb down (most of the time).  When I try to do this on the warmstone, I'm apt to fumble it.

Well, I've played the warmstone a lot, and I can generally handle those notes, but it's a different technique, with a different feel.

Ubizmo

Spatolo

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 07:10:20 pm »

Well, I've played the warmstone a lot, and I can generally handle those notes, but it's a different technique, with a different feel.

Ubizmo

Yeah, you told that already and I ordered two (yeck, two, I'm starting to own more ocarinas than t-shirts and soon I'll have to buy more t-shirts to match the ocarina of the day, rather than the opposite).
Well, I'll try those difference. I regret a bit that there IS any difference, and I would prefer if the only one difference among the MOCs were the look. But, there are differences among the poly and the warmstone and the hardwood and I can manage them, which are indeed small, so I think I will also find my way into the aluminium one.

Who knows, perhaps tonight I'll play for some dancers. I'm getting anxious right now thinking of it! Better have some drink first. Smiley

ubizmo

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 11:10:26 pm »

I just noticed that "YouTube debut" that Cliff sneakily added above.

I have a couple of further observations:

1.  Sometimes the added weight is a little annoying when wearing it around the neck.  I don't always notice it, but occasionally I do.

2.  If I'm at a restaurant and forget to take it off, as I sometimes do, it can make a loud noise when it swings forward and hits the plate.

3.  The low amount of friction that the aluminum offers to the fingers is an advantage when sliding from one note to another.  My fingers slide effortlessly over the holes, making this model the undisputed king of note bending.  The warmstone and hardwood are also quite smooth, but not as slippery as the aluminum.  The difference is noticeable.

4.  That slippery quality is sometimes a disadvantage, too.  When supporting the ocarina with my pinky and few or no other fingers, I don't want it to slip.  It makes me wish that the tail end of the ocarina were a bit rougher than the rest.

5.  There is an inexplicable difference in sound between the aluminum and poly MOs.  I say it's inexplicable because the aluminum is essentially a poly, encased in aluminum.  But when I switch back and forth between the two, there is a definite difference in sound and feel.  The aluminum feels like it has a tiny bit more back pressure, and a smoother sound overall.  Maybe it's all in my head.

Ubizmo

Spatolo

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »

1.  Sometimes the added weight is a little annoying when wearing it around the neck.  I don't always notice it, but occasionally I do.

Agh! I'm going to kill you. Definitely. Wait for me. You will not see 2010.
I was pretty scary of the weight issue but I ordered TWO alus when I'vre read that it's weight wasn't an issue for you.
Well, let's see when I'll get them. Maybe I'll grace you.

4.  That slippery quality is sometimes a disadvantage, too.  When supporting the ocarina with my pinky and few or no other fingers, I don't want it to slip.  It makes me wish that the tail end of the ocarina were a bit rougher than the rest.

This is something I think about since a pretty long time: sanding the tail of the ocarinas to get more grip. But I never did it because I don't want to ruin their aesthetic. But well, they are musical instruments, not sacred idols, so maybe I should go for it. What's your opinion master Ubi?

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:53:28 pm by Spatolo » Logged
ubizmo

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:54:28 pm »

Agh! I'm going to kill you. Definitely. Wait for me. You will not see 2010.
I was pretty scary of the weight issue but I ordered TWO alus when I'vre read that it's weight wasn't an issue for you.
Well, let's see when I'll get them. Maybe I'll grace you.

Look on the bright side.  After a few months wearing the aluminum MO, like me you'll no longer have a neck!

This is something I think about since a pretty long time: sanding the tail of the ocarinas to get more grip. But I never did it because I don't want to ruin their aesthetic. But well, they are musical instruments, not sacred idols, so maybe I should go for it. What's your opinion master Ubi?

Well, grasshopper, I would hate to uglify (find that in your English-Italian dictionary!) the ocarina.  I was thinking of trying one of these: http://www.jp.jodyjazz.com/patch.html -- the clear kind -- on the tail.  It wouldn't be too obvious, and can be removed without causing any permanent damage to the instrument.  I don't know; it may just be a matter of getting used to the ocarina. 

Ubizmo

Spatolo

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 09:59:05 pm »

Look on the bright side.  After a few months wearing the aluminum MO, like me you'll no longer have a neck!

This scaries me even more. Oh bloody hell.

Well, grasshopper

Grasshopper?

, I would hate to uglify (find that in your English-Italian dictionary!) the ocarina.  I was thinking of trying one of these: http://www.jp.jodyjazz.com/patch.html -- the clear kind -- on the tail.  It wouldn't be too obvious, and can be removed without causing any permanent damage to the instrument.  I don't know; it may just be a matter of getting used to the ocarina. 

Me too I've thought about applying a layer of a self-adhesive, transparent "gummy" stuff (more or less like the ones used to keep carpets in place, you know?) but I would fear to feel uncomfortable with the fact that it will add more thickness to the tail of the instrument, thus forcing my finger to do more movement to the one that is used to do now (and in general, the less useless effort you do with your body while playing, the better, you know that).

ubizmo

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 04:39:16 pm »

I've also been thinking about sticking a small strip of rubber to the inside edge of my right pinky for this purpose.  I haven't found anything yet that's ideal for the purpose, but it seems that it might work.

Ubizmo

ubizmo

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 02:21:38 pm »

Maybe we should get Karl to weigh in on this slipperiness issue.  He may have some suggestions.  There are anti-slip coatings, such as this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Traction-Spray-Clear/dp/B0029KZIFQ/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3.  There's also stuff that is sold for bathtubs, driveways, and so on--sold by the gallon.  But not everything will adhere to anodized aluminum.  The best solution might be to file it lightly, but I'd hate to destroy the look of the ocarina.

Ubizmo

clarinetcat

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 05:16:51 pm »

Grasshopper = student, a slang word of recent introduction into (American) English

You are the new student...  Grin

This video shows when "grasshopper" first met his master:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5kBqrHphjo

This video was taken from the 1970's TV series 'Kung Fu' (Created by Ed Spielman, Herman Miller and Jerry Thorpe). It is essentially an American Western set in the latter half of the 1800's, with an Eastern hero who has neither a gun or a horse. The story follows the adventures of Kwai Chang Caine (David Carradine); a nature loving Shaolin priest, who had recently fled China. He speaks softly but is no pushover. He lives humbly yet knows great contentment.

"Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils."

- Hector Berlioz
ubizmo

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 04:28:52 pm »

I think I have a solution for the aluminum slipperiness problem.  Violin rosin!  I'm going to get some and try rubbing a bit on the end of the ocarina.  That should increase the friction on the surface, since that's why violinists use it on their bows.  Furthermore, it can easily be removed with a bit of alcohol, so there's no permanent damage to the instrument.  I don't think it will be visible, either.

Ubizmo

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: