Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 16, 2019, 05:19:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminum C Ocarina  (Read 17515 times)
Cliff

« on: November 30, 2009, 10:57:50 pm »

Here is some information on the aluminum Mountain Ocarina, key of C (available in gold/brass color)

• Price: $89.95
  • Length: 5.5 inches or 13.9 cm
  • Tonal range: B4 - E6
  • Machined from aircraft grade aluminum
  • Brass/gold in color
  • Hardcoat anodized to provide a hard, scratch-resistant, attractive surface
  • Interior liner which provides thermal insulation and resists moisture condensation in the windways
  • About half an octave lower in pitch, and mellower in sound than the G ocarina

• Price: $89.95
  • Length: 5.5 inches or 13.9 cm
  • Tonal range: B4 - E6
  • Machined from aircraft grade aluminum
  • Brass/gold in color
  • Hardcoat anodized to provide a hard, scratch-resistant, attractive surface
  • Interior liner which provides thermal insulation and resists moisture condensation in the windways
  • About half an octave lower in pitch, and mellower in sound than the G ocarina

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:56:43 pm by Cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Cliff

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:58 pm »

A few pictures of the aluminum Mountain Ocarinas collection:

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:18:29 am »

Also arrived today...see my initial impressions of the aluminum G.  I'll add just a few comments here.

1.  This thing is heavy.  I really can use it for self-defense!

2.  Since I gave away my poly C last winter or so, I have only the hardwood to compare it to.  I find a definite difference in the tuning of the low C.  On the hardwood, the low C would drop to B by default if I didn't make an effort to push it up to C.  On the aluminum, it holds the C better, and it takes just a small drop in breath to get B.  I'm finding the aluminum therefore easier to play in tune, and that's after just a short time practicing.  On both the aluminum and hardwood, getting high 'F' (above the official range) requires a pretty forceful breath, unlike on the G models.

3.  Again like the the poly, the thumb holes are recessed.  Since they are larger than the thumb holes on the G, it took me a little while to get the feel for them, not having played a poly C in months.

4.  The tapered mouthpiece is perhaps even more important on the C, given the added weight of it.

5.  The color is very striking.  It has a luster that's hard to capture in a photograph.

Ubizmo

clarinetcat

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 12:25:05 am »

It's the Aluminum C you got, right Ubi?  (you said "G" in your first sentence, I wanted to be sure...)

I just ordered one last night (Aluminum C), and should hopefully have it by Wednesday for a recording session on Thursday.

Compared to the hardwood C, is the tone significantly brighter?

Do you like it better, or is it just different than the wood?

(Karl said on the phone he really enjoys playing the aluminum, so if the big man likes 'em I'm sure they are great)   Wink

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:27:07 am by clarinetcat » Logged

"Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils."

- Hector Berlioz
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:58:26 am »

It's the Aluminum C you got, right Ubi?  (you said "G" in your first sentence, I wanted to be sure...)

I just ordered one last night (Aluminum C), and should hopefully have it by Wednesday for a recording session on Thursday.

Compared to the hardwood C, is the tone significantly brighter?

Do you like it better, or is it just different than the wood?

(Karl said on the phone he really enjoys playing the aluminum, so if the big man likes 'em I'm sure they are great)   Wink

I got them both.  In the first sentence I was just citing my comments about the G, which also apply to the C.  I don't think the tone is significantly brighter, just a tad different, but I do like the weight of it, and the tapered mouthpiece.  Very cool.

Ubizmo

bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:24:14 am »

Not only is the aluminum C cool, it is even a bit cold. Now that winter is on its way I find myself hesitating a bit before picking up the aluminum C, and sometimes choosing the poly C instead. Maybe I should get some kind of heater for it??

InvisibleDrifter
Active Newbie

Play it by ear.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:17 pm »

Would it be safe to order these from here then? I ask because they are not on the front page.
I love the colors, especially the red and gold.

Auroch

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:34:21 pm »

I've also been wondering where you order the aluminum models or if they are even still being made since I've never seen them anywhere at all.
Would love to obtain a C and G. They look so nice!

Auroch
Harp Player

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 03:10:46 am »

I haven't seen them on their website in over 2 years, I am guessing that they are no longer being made.

Auroch

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 02:56:57 am »

I haven't seen them on their website in over 2 years, I am guessing that they are no longer being made.

Ya, I can definitely see that being the case then...especially if it's been 2 years! Thanks.

Auroch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: