Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 23, 2020, 07:46:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Condenser Microphones: Solution for home recording on Computer!  (Read 9020 times)
kissing
Active Newbie

« on: November 16, 2008, 08:37:03 am »

I recently upgraded my microphone to do recordings!

Before I used a small mic with a clip to do my recordings, because it's what I had lying around in my house.

Now I have a USB Condenser microphone called the Samson C01U, which is specifically designed for amateurs like me who record at home on their computer, and don't have the money to spend on expensive recording systems that involve a pre-amp.

It actually didn't cost me that much, $89 US on eBay, with everything included - and I say, it was definitely worth it!

from this ebay: Unique Squared

More info: http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810

Another USB condenser mic I heard good things about is Blue's Snowball microphone, which has similar specifications as the above, but you can customise the pickup pattern or something.
http://www.bluemic.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Products&file=index&prod_id=18

So if you're looking to improve your recording technology, but don't have much to spend - try these microphones.
Apparently the best way to record on computer is to buy a microphone and a USB interface Pre-amp separately, but that costs hundreds of dollars -_-

ps: The pickup pattern of this microphone is cardioid, which means it concentrates on recording the sound directly in front of it.

Cliff

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 11:03:20 am »

Great info. And the company's name is great "Sam"son  Grin  Thanks Kissing!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:34:00 pm by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:53:05 pm »

Speaking of home I will be getting a TASCAM DP-004 digital 4 track soon so I can start recording some stuff with the ocarina, guitar, mando and etc..Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
dereks

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:37:12 am »

I know this is an old thread, but I just found it.  Does the Samson mic work with all sound editing software?  I am using Audacity.  I've been recording things with my MP3 player to record, but I want to make something that actually sounds good.

rancourt
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought an answer would be still be of interest to the community. In short, yes -- a USB microphone is, conceptually, a microphone with a built-in USB audio interface, albeit one with one dedicated input (the mic). Your computer "sees" it as if it's another audio device, and using Audacity, Soundforge, a DAW recording package or similar program, you can record from it, and play back to your normal sound output device.

These sorts of mics, the Samson, MXL, and similar USB condenser mics, are a great and cost-effective way to dramatically increase the sound capture quality of your computer for consumer-level situations, even if your computer doesn't have a mic input (as some laptops lack these). They're a little controversial in the pro audio world simply because folks there are comparing them to much more expensive solutions, and sure, if you have a few grand to blow on mics and preamps, the playing field changes a bit. This said, at the consumer and "prosumer" end of the field, it's my belief, at least, that these sorts of all-in-one USB mics provide a great step up in capture fidelity with "limitations" that really aren't going to be an issue for most people. (If you really need a Neumann mic, then you probably need a capture room prepped for it, too...)

The ocarina is particularly suited to condenser capture, as its "wind out" aperture is off-axis -- that is, when you're pointing it at the mic, the stream of air leaving the device isn't hitting the condenser head-on (and producing rustly wind noise). Of course, experiment with positioning and distance to find your 'sweet spot.' You might try positioning the mic a ways away from the ocarina in a tiled room (bathroom, perhaps?) for a haunting 'on the wind' sound, or you might want to take a close, clean capture of it in a more neutral room, and apply reverb after the fact digitally. (The latter is more versatile, but the former can create some amazing results too.)

Forgive my rather sweeping summary; I'm trying to address an audience here whose technical comfort and audio engineering familiarity I don't know. Also, as with anything, I am but one engineer in a field of many, and I speak only from my own experience; if something else works for you, then by all means, run with it!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: