Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 07, 2020, 12:25:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using other ocarinas besides my mountain ocarinas?  (Read 2697 times)
Irwin J. Finster
Active Newbie

« on: January 18, 2010, 03:03:30 am »

Hi,

and please don't get me wrong, I simply love my Mountain Ocarina, and take it wherever I go. I just order one of the aluminum models. But I have been collecting ocarinas for quite some time, and before I got my Mountain Ocarina I never was able to whistle out more then a few simple tunes on them. I now started with the music learning guide from MO, and feel I am really making progress.

Now in my collection most ocarinas are nice to look at but just toys or collectibels, but I have a very beautiful wooden sweet potatoe ocarine made by charles Hind in Alto, which I also would love to play on occasion with the notations out of the MO music learning course. Now I really don't now much about music, and when I look at the fingering chart of the Hind ocarina, I see that the Hind ocarina starts with much higher notes then my Mountain Ocarina. Am I still able to play this music? Can I simply start with the lowest note on the Hind and substitute it for the lowest of the Mountian? Or is there any other way?

Thanks for any help...

projectcrazy12
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »

to learn about the notation look it up online its not THAT complicated. and also listen to the cd they play it for you

Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 11:50:14 am »

I don't know how's the pitch nor the fingering of a Hind ocarina so I can't help! Actually you should find someone which owns both. Good luck!

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:46:56 pm »

If the goal is simply to play tunes unaccompanied, then I think it should work to substitute the notes on the Hind for the notes in the MO music.  If the goal is to play with other musicians, then it'll be necessary to know what key the Hind is in, and possibly transpose.

Ubizmo

Irwin J. Finster
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:17:00 am »

Thank you very much for your replys!
Sorry, I forgot to add a link to the fingering chart for my sweet potatoe:

http://hindocarina.com/enjoy/fingering/alto_potato.pdf

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: