Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 30, 2020, 11:50:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Celtic ornamentation  (Read 3463 times)
RW_eagle

Player of many, Master of none

« on: October 24, 2008, 01:04:48 am »

My biggest challenge has been adding ornamentation to the music I play.  I got pretty good, not great, at doing it on a practice chanter for the bagpipes, but I'm not getting the hang of it with my MOs.  I also sometimes forget to add vibrato while I'm playing because I get too focused on the notes I'm trying to play.

Rob W

Charter member of mountainocarinaholicstm
Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:29:19 am »

My opinion is that celtic ornamentation in ocarina is just harder than on a chanter, a whistle, or any other "tubular" instrument. I don't know the physical reasons behind this, but with the "tube" instrument I can get a much quicker response to make crisp ornamentation.
The ocarina is a lot more suited to bending the pitch indeed. That's somethink I like a lot, perhaps with a GREAT amount of practice it could be even used to play music based on a oriental scale (where the octave is subdivided in more than 12 intervals).

anyhow; cuts and strikes and the like CAN be definitely be done on the ocarina: actually the only difference in my opinion is that the whistle and co. are more forgiving if your movements are not very fast like a thunder; while on the ocarina you would feel the note sliding up and down. But, if you do "ornamentate" the proper way, fast, with relaxed fingers, and a good trained muscle memory, it will sound just great on both instruments.

This is harder to apply on the thumbs as I discussed in another thread; but I'm sure it can be done with the bottom holes too, only with a even greater amount of practice. We are talking about something very advanced, anyhow... Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: