Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
January 18, 2021, 04:47:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some help for Youtube...  (Read 10122 times)
Lord Oblivion

« on: November 19, 2008, 02:09:16 pm »

Hello
I have some questions for the experienced users of Youtube and video recording in general. I bought myself a webcam today (Logitech QuickCam Messenger) because I want to make videos to post them on Youtube. I tried the included software to record video but there is a considerable delay and it's really slow. Maybe it's just that I have really bad hardware for that in my computer but I was wondering what software do you guys use to record and edit? Maybe it would help to have something better cuz on the box it says that I should have a "Clear, crisp picture", which I don't.
Please help me!! As soon as I'm set up, you'll have more ocarina (and maybe other instruments) videos to watch!!

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:31:29 pm »

Hey Lord,

First rule: Don't use the webcam microphone (if it has one) for recording music.  Webcam mics are the worst in the known universe.  Just about any other kind of microphone you could buy is better.

Assuming you have a Windows machine, your first bet might be to try Windows Movie Maker, which is part of the Windows XP installation (with Service Pack 2 and up).  I imagine it's in Vista too, but I don't have Vista, so I can't say for sure.  WMM is a little complicated, so plan to spend some time getting used to it.  There is a "tasks" button that allows you to select "capture video from device" or something like that.  You can use that to activate your webcam and import video right into WMM.  This is how I've done most of my youtube videos (not all).  You can then edit your video, add video effects, titles, subtitles, etc.

You'll find, for example, that it's annoyingly easy to make mistakes while recording, and rather than re-starting the software, just say "take 2" and start playing again, and edit out the bad takes later.

WMM unfortunately doesn't have much audio editing ability.  I only recently figured out how to get around that.  You first make your video and get it the way you want, and save it.  Then download an audio tool such as "AoA Audio Extractor" that allows you to take the audio track of a video and save it as a file.  Then take that file and import it into an audio editing program such as Audacity. Using Audacity, you can then add reverb or a backing track or whatever; just don't do anything to change the length of the track.  Then save it and go back into WMM, mute the audio track that's already there, and import the new, enhanced track.  And voila, you have a video with enhanced audio.  It's complicated, and I haven't actually posted any youtube videos where I've done this yet, but I will soon.  I've done it experimentally, and it works.  This is all freeware.  I'm sure I could accomplish the same thing with a single professional quality video editing package.

I don't know anything about the webcam you have, but you should see if there's a way to set the frame rate, and set it to the highest allowed.  My webcam isn't very good, so for me that's only 15 fps.  I also have an inexpensive (but great!) webcam that I use when recording in my "car studio" or elsewhere.  It records at 30 fps and the quality is much better, although the sound is nothing special.  I don't use the included software that came with my webcam; it seems like junk to me.

ubi

Cliff

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:47:58 pm »

Hey Tony,

ubi has some great words of wisdom there. One thing we have found is that adding more light can dramatically improve the video quality.

About a year ago Karl was trying to get a webcam going to record videos to upload to youtube. The computer he used was an old, mini-laptop. We did find on that one that it just didn't have enough "juice." Video was just bad. When he moved his webcam to a newer computer it worked just fine. I don't know how much power your computer has, but I know from Karl's experience that it can be an issue.

So the 2 things Karl had to work around was a computer that was too slow and a needing more light. After he took care of those 2 things, webcam video worked for us.

He doesn't use the built in mic.

I would say this though... don't let poor video/audio quality stop you from recording and posting. The way I see it is it's an ever improving process where it just get's better over time. And that recording is where we were (both musical skills and recording quality) at that time. It's just a snapshot.

Please let us know if you continue to have problems. I'd hate for anything to stop you from using and recording your MOs  Wink

-Cliff

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:29:25 pm by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 03:51:05 pm »

I record all of my videos with a microsoft life cam it was 45 bucks and the camera mic is all i use on my recording the sound comes out very well. I had read reviews of it on amazon and some other sites and it got 4-5 stars. This is a good alternative if you don't want to spend to much money! Thanks, Dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
Lord Oblivion

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:55:26 pm »

Hey thanx a lot ubi!!! Those are indeed the words of a wise man! Well I did a few tests in WMM and at first it didn't come out too well but after a bit of tweaking it was good enough for me. I have already posted my first video on Youtube in which I play I Have a Bonnet Trimmed With Blue. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QkVjCI7YHQ and Cliff (or anyone else): feel free to add it on the video page.
I used the built in mic from my webcam for this one because honestly it was only a test but I will try later with my Guitar Hero World Tour mic (it's the only USB mic I have). I don't think I'll be able to edit the audio though because Audacity gives me a blue screen everytime I open it. Next step after that is trying to record my guitar with lots of distortion (any tips appreciated) and do a duet with myself, which brings me to another question I have: How do you put a video inside of another (like, for example, one in "full screen" and the other one in a corner).
Thanks again for all the help!!

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 04:26:12 pm »

That came out very well.  WMM is tricky to get the hang of at first, but it works.  Too bad about Audacity, though--although it's another very complicated program.  Maybe you can get it working at some point.  In any case, congrats on your first music video!

ubi

Cliff

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 04:37:31 pm »

Great Tony! And great sound for a webcam mic.  I can tell you're not new to music.

I also posted into the main video thread.

Looks like we have another "Ocarina Guru"  Wink

Ocarina Guru #1 (Lord Oblivion)

Ocarina Guru #2 (Docjazz4)

Ocarina Guru #3 (Nameless wannabe  Wink )

Regarding picture in a picture, I think most of the "paid" video editing software does that. I believe all the versions of Sony Vegas (PC) support movie in movie effects. On the mac I know final cut and final cut express handle that, I don't know if the new version of iMovie does. I know the older version that I have does not.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:42:05 pm by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Lord Oblivion

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 06:12:18 pm »

Wow!! I don't know if I deserve the title of Guru but thank you, I am honored!!
I still think Docjazz4 and...that other guy...are WAY better than me but I'll probably post another one when I get better at adding ornamentation. In the meantime I've started working on a cover of an Ensiferum song called "Wanderer" with ocarina & guitar (and maybe vocals, but that's not certain) but I'll need to do a lot of testing before that.

Spatolo

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 12:11:35 pm »

I think that the tune should be officially renamed, from "I Have a Bonnet Trimmed With Blue" to "Ocarina Guru!!!".

the exclamation dots are part of the new name.

Secretagentdan

Exodus, movement of jah people!

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 07:53:35 pm »

I agree, awesome video man! Look forward to your next you tube post! dan

Peace, Shalom, and Salaam to all here at MO forum!
NickColley
Active Newbie

C and G poly

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 07:31:36 pm »

Hey lord oblivion. nice playing that was amazing...
Where can i find the tabs/score? so i can work towards something, i like to have a really hard song so i can practise it.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 07:34:57 pm by NickColley » Logged

-Nick
Lord Oblivion

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 09:03:18 pm »

Thank you! That was recorded in my first days with the MOs and I got MUCH better since then! Now I can play it like Karl and Docjazz with ornamentation and all.
You can find the sheet music in the "300 celtic folksongs" book, which I really recommend, or you can find it as well as many others with audio samples at this link:
http://www.mountainsocarina.com/lessons/lesson06-g5p.html

As for the ornamentation, I figured out all of it by ear and by looking multiple times at Karl's video.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:07:09 pm by Lord Oblivion » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: