Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
July 14, 2020, 02:37:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very high notes  (Read 3764 times)
annconnell
Active Newbie

« on: November 20, 2011, 03:05:07 pm »

Wow! I have just been watching some of the videos, having had my ocarinas for a week now. I am intrigued by the VERY high notes  towards the end of Bridge Over Troubled Water - how are they played? Are they "overblown" rather like a flute or recorder, to produce a note an octave higher? I am already in love with these instruments!

robehickman
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 06:57:07 pm »

Wow! I have just been watching some of the videos, having had my ocarinas for a week now. I am intrigued by the VERY high notes  towards the end of Bridge Over Troubled Water - how are they played? Are they "overblown" rather like a flute or recorder, to produce a note an octave higher? I am already in love with these instruments!

I'm unsure exactly what video you're referring to, but the range of the mountain oc is an octave and 3 notes. It is not possable to overblow an ocarina like a tin whistle, however a few more semitones are possible using tricks like the fipple bend and blowing the high 'e' up to 'f'. ubizmo comments on it here http://www.ocarinaboard.com/bb/index.php?topic=825.0

Possible explanations for a note being an octave higher are the pitch was shifted in an audio editor, or song was played on a double. Can't tell without knowing what video you're referring to.

cerescop

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:55:17 pm »

Annconnell which video were u watching? I have seen a couple of the song u said had very high notes. If you could be more specific I could explain or at least have a chance to explain what you heard. Ubizm did a very nice job on the song with a Mountain Ocarina. But without more information I cannot seem to answer the question I have as to what you heard. Unless a "double ocarina" was used most ocarinas are limited to one octave plus a few more notes.

annconnell
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 02:27:58 pm »

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. yes the video I was referring to is the one by ubizm ( I love all his videos!) Having listened more carefully, I think it is a high F that he plays  in the closing stage of the song. I have had a go at it and think it is done by overblowing the top E.  I see someone else has left me a linj to follow this up, written by ubizm so I willnow check this out.

cerescop

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 04:45:32 am »

Yes Ubizmo over blows the top note to get the Higher than advertised note. With the fipple bend and the overblown hi note he is trying to extend the range the ocarina can play. It is effective and each individual ocarina has its own properties when used in this way. Some are better than others. Ubizmo goes over this in  couple of different threads in this forum. Good ear....

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:04:17 pm »

Overblowing the top E to F (or even F#, as in this video is easier on the G than on the C. On the G, I routinely play the E by closing only the L1 or L2 hole, even when I don't "have to". The L1 fingering is just a teeny bit sharper than the L2 fingering. But on the C, the L1 fingering is necessary; the L2 is too flat. Indeed, I find tiny differences from one MO C to another, in terms of playing high F.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: