Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 03:58:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A good silencer. Ocarina mute/quietener  (Read 13150 times)
alejandro
Active Newbie

« on: April 25, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »

I know there a few threads on this, but they are all so old that I thought I'd make a new one. 

I made a good silencer for my MO.  Actually it doesn't silence it.  It simply reduces the volume.

http://alejandroerickson.com/joomla/personal-projects/20-silencing-a-mountain-ocarina

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:54:26 am by alejandro » Logged
Laurent

Ocarina fan

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:21:18 am »

he he, I have to try this one, thanks ;-)

poetchick4Jesus
Active Newbie

Singer of random songs, speaker of random accents

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 03:32:19 am »

Definitely trying this one... I have one of the "official" straw ocarina silencers that goes on top, but it always makes the notes sound funny and sort of raspy. I will also do my absolute best to NOT inhale the straw.  Wink

Words add meaning to life... dare to be sesquipedalian.
Spatolo

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 12:17:56 pm »

Clever, I didn't though about putting the straw INSIDE the windway. I have no straws at hand to try it though, did some of you others tried it?

bentsje
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:46:22 pm »

You can also put a straw in the windway a little and leave a copple of centimeters out and blow in there. This will reduce the sound, especially the highest notes. The only disadvantage is you have to blow harder.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 03:45:13 am »

All of the straws I've found are either too big to fit into the windway or small and thick and don't let enough air through to give a reasonable sound. Where did you find straws of the right size?

poetchick4Jesus
Active Newbie

Singer of random songs, speaker of random accents

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:03:45 am »

I tried this and did SEVERAL adjustments, but each time the notes either sounded weird or wouldn't come out, no matter what I did. I couldn't get it to work as well as on the video.

And I just used the top part of a regular old bendy straw (above the bend).

Words add meaning to life... dare to be sesquipedalian.
bentsje
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 08:52:38 pm »

A regular mc donalds- straw will go in the windway if you make a cut in the length of the straw, to make the straw a little smaller at the end that goes in the windway . .

alejandro
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 06:49:58 pm »

I tried this and did SEVERAL adjustments, but each time the notes either sounded weird or wouldn't come out, no matter what I did. I couldn't get it to work as well as on the video.

And I just used the top part of a regular old bendy straw (above the bend).

try more ^_^.  It definitely changes the way you have to blow into the ocarina and on high notes the straw has to be clear of moisture and you blow very softly.  It is also sensitive to how far in it is... but once you get the hang of it, it works pretty well.  For mine, high A and B come out sharp and the rest of them are in tune.

Saphire Ocarina
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 05:44:26 am »

Great Video! I'm going to try that out with my mountain ocarina as soon as it arrives. I ordered it today!

Saphire Ocarina
BadGoodDeb
Active Newbie

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 02:58:38 am »

Is there any danger of the straw getting lost into the ocarina with this method?   [ I haven't got my ocarina yet, so maybe it's obvious when you look at one.  ]

Scott Maness

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 03:36:25 am »

I had tried this a while back by cutting up a bending straws.  I would just cut it a little longer so I wouldn't lose it.  There is not too much danger of losing it in your ocarina, unless you push it all the way through.

I had trouble getting uniform results with this method.  I may not have given it enough attention though.

Instead of using a silencer I like looking for places to play where I can be as loud as I want without bothering anyone.   Smiley

4efs

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »

Therefore, my van out on a country road practice room. Wink

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
LeakyDuck

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »

Every thing I use as a silencer messes up the tone. Their main advantage for me is it allows me to work on fingering.

robehickman
Active Newbie

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 07:23:18 pm »

Every thing I use as a silencer messes up the tone. Their main advantage for me is it allows me to work on fingering.

Hence why my finger dexterity is now miles beyond my breath control.

It's actually possible to play ocarinas quietly without ramming straws down the wind way / sound hole. Blow softly increasing untill the ocarina just starts to make a sound, its easier if you arch your tong against the top of the mouth to limit air flow. Takes a bit of practice to get the pressure right for each note.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: