Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 08:33:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 300 Scales and Arpeggios  (Read 4997 times)
Aguazul
Active Newbie

« on: May 02, 2010, 10:21:10 pm »

I've put up a whole load of scales and arpeggios with fingering charts for the MO on my site.  I hope people find them useful.  Here's the link:

http://uazu.net/ocarina/scales/

If there are any mistakes, let me know and I'll try and get them corrected.  (Regenerating the images takes around 5 hours, though, so it won't be immediate.)

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:14:59 pm »

I noticed this observation at your web site: "Reaching top F: This is possible on both C and G ocarinas. It seems harder to control on the C ocarina, though. I found that bringing the body of the ocarina down towards my chin helped somehow."

I agree that high F is more of a strain on the C ocarina, whereas it's perfectly natural on the G.  Tipping the ocarina down toward the floor a bit seems to increase the air speed through the windway, which sharps the notes a bit throughout the range.  Likewise, tipping the ocarina up helps when going for notes below the normal range of either ocarina.  For one thing, it makes it easier to "shade" the sound hole a bit, dropping the pitch, but even apart from that, tipping the ocarina up flats the notes slightly.

You have some interesting observations about breathing while playing the ocarina.  I've noticed that often, the problem isn't getting enough air in; it's needing to release air faster than I can while playing.

Ubizmo

Aguazul
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:11:55 am »

...  Likewise, tipping the ocarina up helps when going for notes below the normal range of either ocarina.  For one thing, it makes it easier to "shade" the sound hole a bit, dropping the pitch, but even apart from that, tipping the ocarina up flats the notes slightly.

I see what you mean about shading the sound hole to make the note lower.  I'll remember that.

You have some interesting observations about breathing while playing the ocarina.  I've noticed that often, the problem isn't getting enough air in; it's needing to release air faster than I can while playing.

Yes, it's good to know we're not the only ones suffering that problem -- and that woodwind and recorder players have developed techniques that can help!

Spatolo

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:37:21 pm »

I remember that I replied to a topic like this but I can't find it anymore.

Anyhow. I found the way to convert all the scales for the G real notes. It was easy, thanks to Aguazul tip (I replaced every line starting with \score { with \score { \transpose c g.

Well if anybody cares I can share the PDFs.

Thanks!

black locust
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 12:03:08 am »

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Aguazul, for taking the time to put up all those scales.  I was going to post in the "how you can help me succeed" section that I needed scales, and then I found this posting and the link to your site. 

Scales are so orderly, like math.  They're very calming in that regard.  I've had a lot of fun exploring the wide variety of scales you put up, like the Persian and the Hungarian Gypsy and the Minor Blues.  I even came up with a little song when mushing together some of the arpeggios.  It was SO MUCH FUN! Cheesy

The exercises you suggested are helpful too.  I'm already much more certain about some of the fingerings for the sharps & flats. 

And as for BREATH:  I thought it was just me.  NOoooo, I'm not THAT special (thank God).  It was very helpful to read about the oboe and recorder techniques for having better breath (or any breath at all!  Roll Eyes).

The Mountain Ocarina is so special since we MAY play all these notes.  (Whether or not we CAN... well... )  I want to master that great slur (or whatever it's called) like at the beginning of Rhapsody in Blue.  You've opened up a whole new door for me with the scales - Thanks again! Grin

Aguazul
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 05:20:53 pm »

THANK YOU SO MUCH, Aguazul, for taking the time to put up all those scales.  [...] The Mountain Ocarina is so special since we MAY play all these notes.  (Whether or not we CAN... well... )  I want to master that great slur (or whatever it's called) like at the beginning of Rhapsody in Blue.  You've opened up a whole new door for me with the scales - Thanks again! Grin

I'm really glad you've benefitted from the scales web-pages!

Yes, the Mountain Ocarina is special.  I was at our family summer party, and someone brought out their accordion, and I got my poly C ocarina and we started bashing through some Irish tunes from a book.  People kept coming over to see what I was playing on -- they were surprised how small it was and joked that it looked like I was playing on a mobile phone.  It really is possible to get not just the notes but also some of the traditional feel of the music on this instrument -- the little touches that give it character.  Great fun!

Twist

"Ars celare verum"

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 07:00:03 pm »

Aguazul,

I downloaded the scales but I can't get them to open properly. Do you plan on making a PDF available?

Thanks

Twist

Twist
"Ars celare verum"
Aguazul
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 06:26:49 pm »

I downloaded the scales but I can't get them to open properly. Do you plan on making a PDF available?

No, I'm not planning on doing a PDF.  It would need all the links to work in the PDF like on the web-page.  Maybe there is some software to convert HTML to PDF and keep the links, but I don't know anything about that.

You should be able to get the ZIP to work.  Unzip it (maintaining folders/directory structure, if you have an option for that), and inside you'll find www.zip.  Unzip that as well (maintaining directory structure), and inside that you'll eventually find a folder full of HTML files. Look for index.html -- that is the starting page.  You can move it all elsewhere once you've unpacked it.

I've tested unpacking it on Mac OSX and Linux -- I don't have a Windows machine handy, but it should work the same there as well. The scale pages are all live on my site anyway -- you don't really need to download the ZIP unless you want an offline copy.  I hope this helps.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: