Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 03, 2020, 03:44:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quena  (Read 2718 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: June 03, 2010, 02:56:40 pm »

A few weeks ago, I bought a quena.  I got it from Novica, a trading organization organized by National Geographic.  It's from Peru, made of jacaranda.  It looks (and smells) nice, but I'm not making much headway learning to play it.  I'm able to get some notes out, but it takes a lot of breath, and they sound anemic.  Since I did play concert flute before, I'm not a total beginner when it comes to embouchure for making sound with this sort of instrument.  I'm not sure if it's me or the quena, although I realize that it's all to common to blame the instrument.  But it was pretty inexpensive, even shipped from South America, and I didn't find any reviews of it before buying, which was probably unwise.  It was an impulse buy.

Since then, I've done more research, and learned that there are a lot of poorly made quenas on the market, like the poorly made ocarinas that are more decorative than musical.  I don't know if this is one of them, but I have my suspicions.  One thing that I've noticed about it is that the notch is rather wide, compared to others I've seen online.  So I ordered another, from a maker whose instruments have high praise from a number of sources.  He's in Argentina.  It hasn't arrived yet, so I'm still practicing with the Novica one.

It'll be a long time before I can make any music with one of these things, but it should be fun anyway.

Ubizmo

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 09:16:45 pm »

My second quena arrived today!  This one actually was even less expensive than the last, but it's much better.  I can actually play two octaves on it.  It sounds terrible, but at least I can play it.  On the other one, I was lucky to get a few notes out, no matter how much I practiced.  This one is lighter, made of bamboo, and the construction of the notch is different--the ramp is more sloping.

But it's still one of the hardest instruments I've ever tried to play.  But this time I don't think I can blame the quena.  I have my work cut out for me.

Ubizmo

yannes
Active Newbie

A person who never made a mistake never tried anyt

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 07:04:15 pm »

do you have a video of that? would like to see it

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: