Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 03:23:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A great site for ABC notation/sheet music and MIDIS of folk tunes  (Read 2507 times)
Spatolo

« on: June 29, 2010, 03:05:43 pm »

I just posted this as an answer to a different thread but I realized that it can be of very general interest so I wanted to re-post it in a dedicate and more appropriate place. Sorry for the double post.

Here's the site I discovered some month ago:

www.folktunefinder.com

You can search for a tune into a huge database of ABC sources and they are converted into sheet music and MIDIS instantly.
If you register an account (that's completely free as in this board) you can post your own blog entries where the ABC notation is automagically converted into sheet music, and in a way very nice to read. Here's a sample from me myself:

http://folktunefinder.com/user/febs/blog/68/

The MIDI is auto-generated too, and you can play it inline.

You can also search for tunes by note patterns, which I found it to be essential two times. The author of the site is a very nice man and he promised me that he will implement the feature to search by range, so to get instantly a HUGE bunch of tunes that fits the ocarina range!

Ciao

RicTheGrt
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 04:15:05 pm »

I use http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefindJC'c Tunefinder.  I have found it great for name searches.  It is amazing what they do at MIT. 

Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »

Yes that is very nice too. But I like "folktunefinder" better. They share the same "database" of ABC scores around the world wide web as far as I know but I like folktunefinder's "look and feel" more, especially for what matters the sheet music. It's cleaner (I find JC's tunefind bloated compared) and it is faster too.

JC is a great resource nevertheless indeed!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: