Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
May 29, 2020, 03:52:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the tabor pipe! (one hand whistle)  (Read 7722 times)
Spatolo

« on: July 14, 2010, 04:49:11 pm »

I got a Generation tabor pipe. It is fun as HELL.

I could play a trivial tune (twinkle twinkle...) in a few minutes, I'm very happy of the results and I didn't expected that playing with only one hand could give such a nice feeling (don't ask me why).

While I easily learned how to play a major scale, going over the octave is trickier and I WONT practice that at home. So to be able to play any tune which is not a kid carol (I know VERY FEW tunes which are nice AND fits in a single octave) I will need to play outdoor, so I'll not grew up so fast. Anyhow. Very nice.

sherb
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:00:47 pm »

Upon googling it, to find out what one was, I found a very nifty fingering chart.

So its just cross fongering and blowing different amounts?
seems interesting, so i might just end up investing in one.

also, do you know why it cant play those A B C#  and D notes?
This fingering chart doesnt display them
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h186/waldco/instrumental/f147d7a5.png
although it does state that those low four notes aren't often used

How much did you pay for yours?

~sherb

Want a nice looking signature? Feel free to drop me a PM.
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:20:58 pm »

Hiya sherb!

In actuality, the fingering limits the tabor to a four-tone range, without overblowing.  When you overblow at the first "level", it pops you up to the first harmonic, which is an octave higher, just like on a regular tin whistle.  So the notes between G and middle D are missing.  There just aren't enough holes to play them.  Overblow harder and you pop to the second harmonic, which is only a fifth higher than the first.  That conveniently finishes your second octave.  Overblow harder still and you're up in the third harmonic, and I imagine you're making sounds that would break glass.

Ubizmo

sherb
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:45:24 pm »

I see, Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I might just get me one of these, to add to my repitoir.
I didnt expect them to be so expensive though.
I'm just gonna have to save up a bit.

~sherb

Spatolo

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:14:39 am »

I got it with about ten euros (shipping to Italy included) from here:

http://www.pipeandtabor.com/sales.html

Did I mention already that it is very FUN?

BTW, loudness is starting to become a virtue for me, too. Although it is STILL a big (big!) issue for practicing at home, now that I can play with some confidence, I *want* to be heard.

At the folk music and dance festival which I attended some week ago, a nice french man had tens of dancers dancing in circle around him playing that pipe alone.

sherb
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:18:41 am »

Thanks so much for the link. This is so much cheaper than the site i had found.
Im probably going to end up buying one in a few weeks, when i can afford it.

thanks again
~sherb

Spatolo

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:24:43 pm »

Overblow harder still and you're up in the third harmonic, and I imagine you're making sounds that would break glass.

Ubizmo

I've read reviews that says that the new Susatos (their models changed with time, I've read) can be played indoor without even disturbing a conversation happening to a normal volume.

Maybe I should get one of those.

Spatolo

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 02:29:51 pm »

Source of the reviews, FYI: http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/ijs/ptab/tab-pipe-rev.html

frances

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 06:40:53 pm »

Hello to tabor pipe players and everyone interested in this somewhat strange musical instrument. 

I do research into the history of the pipe and tabor, and am a member of The Taborers Society.  At the moment I am constructing a draft website called The Pipe and Tabor Compendium at  http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/  There is a lot to do to improve the look, and to add all the information I have, and that others have given me.  But as you know, there are only so many hours in each day.

I have also just started a WebRing for anyone with a website that adds to our collective knowledge about the long history of the instrument and its variants that occur all over the world.  If you have such a site or know someone who has, do get in touch through the hub:

http://www.webring.org/hub?ring=pipeandtabor

I've been playing for over 20 years and have found that it is a splendid way of stopping toddlers crying!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: