Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
May 29, 2020, 03:33:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: screech owl  (Read 2295 times)
black locust
Active Newbie

« on: August 09, 2010, 12:12:15 am »

I received a musical gift this week that was very special.
I went out with my dog before dawn, and I was just standing in the yard looking at the stars and listening to the night sounds.  I could hear screech owls calling to each other in the distance, to the east and to the west of me.  As I stood there, either the owls got closer and closer and I didn't notice (it is really trippy to see them fly and not hear them at all - but I didn't see them either in this case), or there were A LOT more owls around than two!  Within a few minutes, the owls were calling to each other from the big tree 30 feet in front of me, and in the juniper tree directly behind me!  The owl behind me was not more than five feet above my head!  It was a really beautiful and rare musical concert (for me).  Of course, the owls may have been discussing if they could take me ("Look!  Breakfast!"), I'll never know for sure.  Anyway, (as I'm sure many of you know) contrary to their name, screech owls have a really beautiful soft musical repertoire. One of my new goals is to learn to play their tune on the ocarina.  (If I don't do it well, though, I can just imagine people saying to me:  "Oh, is THAT why they're called "Screech" Owls?")  :-) 

Namu

Memento mori

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 02:22:51 pm »

Everything happens for a reason.

Many Native American traditions would tell you that the owls had a message for you. What could that have been?

What a WONDERFUL experience!

Namu
black locust
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 07:21:25 pm »

Yeah, I think they could've been confirming my choice of musical instrument.  Since I've not been able to play my violin, and there's no piano around to plunk on, and, well, this mountain ocarina seems to have a whole lot going for it what with being small, and able to play all notes & etc.

Of course they could have been telling me that I'm going to die, as some cultures associate owls with death, but I know that already!   Grin

Or they could've been telling me, "Thank goodness those hawk teenagers have fledged and moved out of the neighborhood!  They were really stepping on our toes the way they were hunting all our prey!  Pushy teenagers!"

Or maybe THESE OWLS were pushy teenagers too!  That's what I really think.  Risk taking teens landing in trees within easy reach of dangerous humans.

Still, I want to learn to play like they sing - such a soft melodious sound!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: