Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 15, 2020, 08:07:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Silencing methods  (Read 2577 times)
Max
Active Newbie

« on: August 11, 2010, 12:20:22 am »

Has anyone got any new methods of quietening down the ocarinas?,
i know about about cutting up a straw an putting it in the windway but thats the only one that i've seen anyone else use.
i have a way that I'm not sure if anyone else uses or not: i rest my bottom lip above the ocarina and blow onto/above the fipple window and it makes a sound sort of like the straw method, try it out and reply what you think.
i'm sort of new to this so I don't know if this is any good or not. if anyone else has any better methods i would love to hear them seeing as i live in a house with lots of people and i don't sound amazing yet

Max,

Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:17 pm »

A board pal suggested to put the straw HORIZONTAL in the windway - just thorough the rectangular hole you put into your mouth.

And, there's the ocbox too.

Nephiel

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:39:04 pm »

I too close the windway with my bottom lip and blow above the fipple when I want to be silent. But on top of that, I blow sligthly at an angle, holding the MO as if it were a sweet potato oc, or sometimes even sideways as if it were a transverse flute. I find it sounds a bit louder that way. Still, nowhere close to a nice sound, but enough to figure out the fingering for a tune before playing it at full volume.

Flotonic
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:27:43 pm »

I found that blowing into the windway without having your mouth directly touching it makes it barely able to hear, but you can still hear what notes you're playing. If this could be incorporated into a device so you can actually hold it with your mouth (for playing high notes), this is full of win.  Cool

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: