Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 07, 2020, 12:44:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Senior Year  (Read 3417 times)
feigenpwn
Active Newbie

« on: August 14, 2010, 09:23:28 pm »

Hey it's Sam  Smiley I'm finishing my high school career and going into my senior year. My school requires every senior to take up an 8 month research called senior project. It is a topic of the student's choice, and I have chosen mine- learning how to fully play the ocarina.

The project would include the self-curriculum, celtic/folksong music book, and of course the ocarina (either g or c). Every student will find a mentor at least 25 years old to help them along the way. Since the ocarina is not very popular in my area (Upstate South Carolina), I cannot find an ocarina master just waiting to be picked up. I'm hoping to use the self-curriculum guide with a local musician, and have them kind of guide me along through the lessons.

Could anybody give me their thoughts on the idea- it's not set in stone, and it will still have to be approved by the school board. If it's too short or too long of a project, I need to know from someone who has used the self-curriculum. Thanks  Cheesy

black locust
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 10:26:05 pm »

Wow Sam, that sounds like a great senior project.

I'm going through the curriculum now, and it really is comprehensive in teaching a person not only to play the ocarina, but about how to read music in general. 

I wonder if someone from this MO community who has a lot of experience could act as your teacher remotely?  Distance learning is so common these days, and the school's requirements for mentors/instructors is probably easily modified for distance learning (or could be).  You couldn't find a better mentor than from here is my guess.  Of course there could be someone in this MO community that might live in your area!  Better yet!

Both my sons did projects in high school that required them to work outside the usual school requirements, & their school was really willing to work with them in making it happen.  The school made it easy for their mentors to complete the required assessments.

BEST OF LUCK ON A GREAT IDEA!

Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:03:05 pm »

Neat idea, and most important, SMART one. Achieve two results in one shot!

Good luck with it. I hope they'll approve it. And: I think that any wind instrument professional teacher will help you easily; the ocarina is trivial compared, for example, to the clarinet.
The idea of getting an help online is just neat indeed. 

Namu

Memento mori

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:14:22 pm »

Good luck with it. I hope they'll approve it. And: I think that any wind instrument professional teacher will help you easily; the ocarina is trivial compared, for example, to the clarinet.

I think you have that backwards...clarinet is trival compared to ocarina  Grin

Maybe any old wind player would do, but there are subtleties the ocarina presents that other instruments don't. I'd vote for the distance learning approach and try to convince one of the mugs around here to guide you on your path.

FUN project! <sending "get approved" vibes >

Namu
feigenpwn
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 01:17:36 am »

Thanks for the opinions guys Smiley I really wish I could have one of you guys as my mentor, but my teacher said that they have had bad situations in the past where the mentors seemed to just disappeared- they aren't going to let me try it.
I have also found that I need to change the whole base of my project. I cannot just simply learn the inline ocarina- there is not enough information in libraries, the internet, reviews, etc. just on learning how to play it. I am going to do a study on the instrument ocarina as a whole. I am going to learn how to play the inline, the sweet potato, and the English pendant.
I will be posting my progress on the forum in a blog-like form. Keep in touch, and wish me luck Cheesy

Spatolo

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 04:43:25 pm »

Good luck!  Wink

black locust
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:18:07 am »

Well, that still sounds like a great project.  And this way, you still get to learn the Mountain Ocarina through this great curriculum.  I look forward to reading your comparison of the three different kinds of ocarinas once you're playing all three.  I wonder, too, if you'll be able to find any training curriculum on the sweet potato and pendant as extensive as that given for the MO.  That in itself will be an interesting study. 

I'll be happily following your posts!  Have fun, Sam!

Amiable

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 07:40:49 pm »

Good luck on the attempt.  It's a pretty good motivation for learning the play instruments Smiley

As an aside, I think just the MO is sufficient to occupy 8 months of studying, if you take it not as just learning an instrument, but as a launching point for studying music theory, recording/compositing etc.  Hey, but at the end of the day, you'll get to claim that you now play a bijillion instruments!

feigenpwn
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »

As an aside, I think just the MO is sufficient to occupy 8 months of studying, if you take it not as just learning an instrument, but as a launching point for studying music theory, recording/compositing etc.  Hey, but at the end of the day, you'll get to claim that you now play a bijillion instruments!

Oh yeah, I could take as long as I want on the study, but then I would have to use musical study books for annotative bibliographies, and that would start centering the project about learning music more than learning the ocarina. My reason for taking on this project is to raise ocarinas to the public eye and build business for companies like MO. Believe me, if I could just focus on my warmstone G, I would... But sadly there just isn't enough documentation for inline ocarinas solely in my area.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: