Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
May 26, 2019, 03:10:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever trashed a neck cord?  (Read 2580 times)
Namu

Memento mori

« on: August 05, 2010, 09:18:54 pm »

I've been wondering how durable these neck cords are over the long haul.

At work, when I'm playing guitar, I have to scootch my oc around to rest on my back, and I do the same when I'm eating...the cord is seeing a lot of potential wear throughout a typical day for me. I wondering if I'm going to wear down the material enough to cause breakage.

The other thing I'm wondering about it the safety connector. Do folks use that to put on and take off the oc? I notice in the videos Karl wears his pretty high, and I've thought about adjusting the length of my cord, but I wear glasses and have a big noggin... will I wear out the connector if I use it like a jewelery clasp?

And why are replacements listed for sale on the website? Just a thought.  Smiley

Namu
Spatolo

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:23:41 pm »

I think that the connectory will last for a long time. At least, in years I never had any issues with them. The cords, though, tend somehow to dry in the long run. Thus I replaced most of them with leather cords. They also look cooler in my opinion Smiley

Namu

Memento mori

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »

Leather probably wouldn't do well with me...I sweat a lot...and I can just hear people saying "Whoa man, your ocarina stinks...no, I mean it really STINKS!"  Grin

Namu
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:40 pm »

I've been through a few neck cords. They tend to become brittle and eventually break. I'm not sure, but I suspect that sunlight causes this. It's the part of the cord on the back of my neck that gets brittle first.

The cords, however, consist of a soft plastic conduit around some sort of silky fibers--maybe nylon--so when the plastic gets brittle and breaks, the cord doesn't break; it just exposes the fibers inside. So you have time to replace the cord without worrying about losing the Preciousssss.

Ubizmo

FredDooolie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:27 am »

So you have time to replace the cord without worrying about losing the Preciousssss.

Ubizmo

Karl, Why not sell lengths of the stuff? Maybe enough for three or four neck cords.

... There is too much sax and violins on TV these days. Whatever happened to ukuleles and ocarinas?
Cliff

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:19:24 pm »

Hi Namu,

I think it would take a lot of snaps/un-snaps to wear out the connector. We haven't done any testing on this, but my guess is it will last longer than a jewelry clasp since there is no pivot/hinge. If you wear out either your neck cord or connector, just shoot us an email and we'll figure out how to get your oc properly hung on your neck  Smiley

--Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: