Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 17, 2019, 12:55:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-shot routine  (Read 2029 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: August 21, 2010, 12:36:18 am »

In golf, it's well known that the best players all have an established pre-shot routine, and they never deviate from it.  They may waggle the club, or take one practice swing, or loosen their shoulders, or wiggle their butt.  There's no evidence that what they do makes any difference at all, but there is evidence that having some ritual or other to prepare for a shot is important.

I wonder if something similar is true in music.

Do you have a "pre-shot routine" for playing your MO?

Ubizmo

feigenpwn
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:06:05 pm »

I'm still nervous about playing in public, so before I start playing I quickly move my fingers to play the notes silently. Does that correlate to what you are talking about?

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:25:46 pm »

Something like that.

Many players of other instruments have fairly elaborate rituals to prepare the instrument, and at the same time they prepare the players mentally.  Reed players have the whole business of wetting reeds and mounting them on the mouthpiece.  Guitar players go through a tuning ritual.  Violin players tune, rosin the bow, and so on.  These activities all have an intrinsic purpose, but they also serve a mental purpose.

For this sort of thing to be helpful, it should be the same when you practice privately as when you play in public.  It's that sameness that makes it effective.

Ubizmo

Spatolo

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:17 pm »

I don't have any ritual, or at least I never noticed to have any.
I seldomly (seldomly, thus it's not a ritual) check if the windway is not too clean before blowing the first notes, but that's all.

And you, do you have any?

feigenpwn
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:03:08 pm »

Wait, would the ritual be the same thing as warming up or more like an individual thing each person does?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: