Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
May 29, 2020, 04:09:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bored! Bored! Bored!  (Read 11677 times)
Yaara

« on: January 30, 2011, 09:10:20 pm »

Ooooooooooooooooooooooph!!!  I'm in the midst of writing my comprehensive examination essays for a psychology PhD, and I am SO BORED.  "Analyze and synthesize at least 10 scholarly articles (at least 5 should be published in the last 5 years), describing how the field has applied the theory to real world situations..."  "Compare and critique the methodology, including a discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of the research..."  Talk about sucking all the fun out of learning.  Maybe I'll change my research topic to "Mountain Ocarinas and Procrastination Behavior in Graduate Students: An Observational Study."

Or maybe I'll go watch some Invader Zim.

Ack!  Someone tell me to study.  Undecided

Yaara

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:18:55 am »

Ok...study!   Tongue

As a former cognitive (experimental) psychologist, I sympathize. Do you have a suitable reward planned for when you finish?

I've barely touched an ocarina for the last six weeks, a chest cold developed into pneumonia (gone now, knock on wood), during which I pulled a muscle or tendon on the right side of my ribcage from coughing too hard...

Yaara

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 12:30:22 pm »

Thanks!  I studied, a little.

My reward will be slightly delayed.  The essays are due by Feb. 22, and my parents are coming to visit for two weeks starting Feb. 24.  I love my parents, but it won't be relaxing, if you know what I mean.  If I survive all that, I have R&R April 7-22 -- a weekend at a Rocky Horror Picture Show convention, and then almost two weeks of yoga.  (I'm not a huge Rocky Horror groupie, but the guy I'm seeing is.  He plays the Dr. Scott character in his home cast.  I'm trying to learn some of the tunes on my MO so I can fit in better.) 

Hats off to you for cognitive psychology!  I'm terrible at that side of things.  My masters is in counseling psych. but this degree's in general psychology -- I got interested in terror management theory when I started working for State. 

Glad to hear your pneumonia's gone... I hope your pulled muscle / tendon heals quickly so you can get back to your music!

Yaara

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:37:17 pm »

My reward will be slightly delayed.  The essays are due by Feb. 22, and my parents are coming to visit for two weeks starting Feb. 24.  I love my parents, but it won't be relaxing, if you know what I mean.  If I survive all that, I have R&R April 7-22 -- a weekend at a Rocky Horror Picture Show convention, and then almost two weeks of yoga.  (I'm not a huge Rocky Horror groupie, but the guy I'm seeing is.  He plays the Dr. Scott character in his home cast.  I'm trying to learn some of the tunes on my MO so I can fit in better.) 

We're not Rocky Horror fans either, though my wife has a thing for Tim Curry. It's the Evil.

Hats off to you for cognitive psychology!  I'm terrible at that side of things.  My masters is in counseling psych. but this degree's in general psychology -- I got interested in terror management theory when I started working for State. 

Well, I've mostly given it up--now I set up experiments for other people. Much less stressful. Being an academic research scientist is way too much work if you want to do it well...

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:34 pm »

Why am I reading this thread instead of finishing this conference paper that I have to send out by noon today?

Ubizmo

JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:18:07 pm »

Ah, more fond memories...finishing a poster for a conference at 6 AM with the flight at 10...I was always in the middle of the pack in terms of preparedness, there was always someone taking his computer along so he could finish collecting data at the conference. And this was before the invention of the laptop...

Yaara

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:45:59 pm »

Let's start a procrastinator's club.  We could meet next week or something, maybe.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 11:41:36 pm »

I can relate. I bought and learned to play Bossa Novas on a soprano recorder while going crazy studying for on of my last exams in college; bought and learned to play Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire, on an alto recorder while trying to finish my PhD thesis. (Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire, BTW, works nicely on a MO.) That was a long time ago, but probably prepared me for when I was to discover MOs.

Cliff

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 12:02:49 am »

Let's start a procrastinator's club.  We could meet next week or something, maybe.

Maybe we should "put off" the first meeting of the procrastinator's club just a little longer... Smiley

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Slinky
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 06:06:22 am »

Lol good idea Cliff Tongue In fact... I should be doing a Latin translation right now! I guess I should get on that because it might take a while  Undecided

McManus
Active Newbie

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 04:42:49 pm »

Yaara, your father called.  Get back to work.

Yaara

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 05:18:38 pm »

OMG Dad!  I'm 41!  Stop treating me like a 38-year-old!

knowyourmeme.com/memes/scene-wolf

Yaara

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:04 pm »

Okay, so my comp exam essays are due before Tuesday, Feb. 22 -- which means I need to turn them in NLT midnight on Monday, Feb. 21.  Thank goodness for serendipitous three-day weekends.  I'm looking at a massive, messy 64-page document, not including notes saved elsewhere; if I can polish two of the four essays today and the other two tomorrow, then Monday will be the final review and submission.  You can see how finely honed my procrastination skills are by the fact that I'm posting an update about it to the ocarina board.

My parents were supposed to arrive in country on Feb. 24, but apparently UPS delivered their passports to the wrong embassy in DC, so they don't have visas yet.  I know we'll get it straightened out soon, so I'm not as furious about this as my dad is.

I'm keeping an eye on the news about the possible government shutdown.  Having spent the last seven weeks working 8 hours a day and studying like crazy on evenings and weekends, I'm going to be spitting nails if there's a shutdown AFTER I turn in my exam!  I could have used one this past month!  (Along the same lines, if the world really does end in Dec. 2012, why am I paying off my student loans?!?)  No, but seriously, fingers crossed that it doesn't shut down.  From a totally selfish and apolitical point of view, I don't want to be told I can't go to work here.  There's only so much yoga and ocarina playing I can do in a day.

See, I mentioned ocarinas.  This isn't totally off topic.

Okay, back to “a recent social psychological perspective that attempts to explain how we manage our death-related anxiety, and, as a corollary, why we tend to react negatively to persons who do not share our cultural beliefs and values.”  Meh.

Yaara

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 08:36:43 am »

I'm starving and I have to be at work in four hours.

JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 05:22:45 pm »

Down to the wire, I take it?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: