Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 07, 2020, 07:22:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions, comments or discussion on The 5-Minute Musician's Club™  (Read 27947 times)
Cliff

« on: February 17, 2011, 01:22:37 pm »

If you have any questions, comments or discussion items on The 5-Minute Musician's Club™ either reply to this topic or create a new topic.

Thanks.

--Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
maki

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 01:51:22 pm »

I signed up.
It's a brilliant idea.
High Fives to Karl!

Freedom's the answer, what's the question?
http://www.voluntaryist.com/
Ukedude

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:15:28 pm »

Love this idea.  The ocarina is an excellent beginner's instrument and is also good for an extra instrument for a working musician.  One request, please.  I think more song books specifically designed for the range of the Mountain Ocarina would be good.  Celtic is great, but how about some Baroque or preBaroque music?  How about some more modern popular songs?  How about some Broadway or movie songs?  Any compilation of songs would be of great help to aspiring ocarina players.  Just a thought.  I do know that it can get expensive to put songs that are not public domain into a book, so perhaps that's not a good idea but there must be a large number of public domain songs in various styles.

Yaara

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »

Hi Ukedude!

I ordered the Jumbo Easy Piano Songbook: 200 Songs for All Occasions and the Definitive Broadway Collection by Hal Leonard from Amazon last month.  Amazon also has music collections for flute and recorder.  I figure some of the songs may be out of range, but there should be enough that can be played on an ocarina to make it worth the price.  (I work overseas so I haven't actually received the books yet -- I'll post a review when they arrive.)

Just from fooling around by ear, I can tell you that the following songs can be played on an MO:

I Don't Know How to Love Him -- Jesus Christ Superstar
Wouldn't It Be Loverly -- My Fair Lady
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and Chim Chim Cher-ee -- Mary Poppins
What Do the Simple Folk Do? -- Camelot
Tradition -- Fiddler on the Roof (not a tremendously exciting song to play though)
Anthem -- Chess

Peace on Earth by Peggy Lee (from Lady and the Tramp) sounds great on the MO.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqNvqnInE84  If you start on low B, it all fits wonderfully in G major.

If you know other show tunes that work, please share!

Have a great day,
Yaara

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 11:20:11 pm by Yaara » Logged

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
maki

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »

Welcome Ukedude.
Have you tried google-ing(or better yet Scroogle-ing, http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm) something like- Free sheet music from Broadway
                        Free sheet music Baroque, pre-Baroque
                        Free sheet music for popular songs
Or combinations thereof. Lots of content on the 'net, though it may involve some searching, at least it's free.

Yaara- Your certainly right about trying to play by ear.
While I was waiting for my MO I was working with a cheap transverse oc and a Clarke tin whistle and everything I was doing was by ear.
It seems like good training.

A quick thought about The 5-Minute Musician's Club.
Now that I have my book of sheet music in hand, 300 Celtic Folk songs, I make a copy of the page I'm interested in playing and keep it folded in my pocket. When it's time to play, it comes out quickly and I don't need to carry a large book with me or worry about damaging it.
It seems to fit the bill nicely, handy, portable, convenient.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:11:16 pm by maki » Logged

McManus
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 12:57:46 am »

Gimme Five! I'm in!

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:58:29 am »

A quick update:   I just got back from the local airport facility where I shipped out the 1st batch of 5-Minute Musician's Club kits.  So, if you had signed up by Saturday, 6pm Eastern Time (when we printed the mailing list), your kit is on the way. Unfortunately, there is a postal holiday on Monday.

If you missed that cut-off date, it doesn't matter. We'll be sending out kits as needed. Well, time for bed...

PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 05:20:41 am »

Thanks Karl, I look forward to the Kit in the mail soon!

Aggie80
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 12:22:23 pm »

Looking forward to getting my kit! 

Suggestion -> There is a printed card for tracking the 5 minute blocks.  How about something on the back of the card to work on?  A small song or a fingering exercise to provide a bit of challenge.  A collection of a dozen such items gives you a years worth of something.

Definitely like the idea of photocopying a page or two to carry with you!  And if your eyes are good, you can shrink a page to get a couple pages or use only a half sheet of paper.

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:52:26 pm »

Hi Aggie,

The business-size fiving cards are already two-sided: 15 days on 1 side and 16 on the other.  Cliff wisely convinced me to make the cards generic with 31 days and spaces to write in the month and year. That way we cut down on hassles, inventory shortages, and printing costs by not having to print February 2011 cards, March 2011 cards, etc.

However, I like your idea. There is room in the tyvek card sleeve to put additional cards. For instance, I fill out a Daily Priorities/Weekly Priorities card each morning and carry it in the sleeve with my fiving card. You could put your own little card of exercises in with the fiving card.

I too like the suggestion of photocopying and carrying a few songs along. I used to do that quite a bit a dozen or more years ago. In fact, I found some of this tiny sheet music just a couple months ago when I was filling boxes to move to our new home. I must have copied the pages at 25%. Then I trimmed them so each song is quite small, and I "laminated" them with clear packing tape for outdoor use. (Office supply stores have affordable laminators, too.) Anyway, apparently my eyes were pretty sharp back then! I'm afraid I can't read fine print like I used to.

More recently, I sometimes carry a small card listing the only the titles of songs that I am learning to play by ear and their starting note. This helps me to focus on new songs. That is something you could certainly write onto a business card and slip into your fiving card sleeve.  (Tip: You can cut your own cards from card stock with a paper slicer, or you can buy perforated sheets of blank business cards at office supply stores. I don't own stock or hold an interest in any office supply stores. Wink)

By the way, if any of you are new to the ocarina and don't yet play by ear, it probably won't be too long before you start messing around with this new skill. It's a natural process on the ocarina, and it's not a gift you have to be born with. Rather, like any skill, the more you do it, the better you get--over time. Little by little, you go a long way.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:04:27 pm by Karl » Logged
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:35:33 pm »

Well I did mine today - did you?

maki

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 07:22:29 am »

Since I got my MO last Friday I've been getting 5-10 sessions per day usually longer than 5 minutes.
It seems I can't get the music out of my head!
I'm also enjoying Cliff and Karl's Self-Learning Music Curriculum.

Delphinidae
Active Newbie

Whistler

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 11:36:36 am »

About the cards:

When the printable version of them are available, will it only be one card per sheet of paper or several of them side-by-side so we don't end up wasting paper when we cut them out?

In music and kendo: Think not and you shall be, think and you shall not be.
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 07:17:28 pm »

The printable cards are now available here. 

http://www.ocarinaboard.com/bb/index.php?topic=1565.0

You can click on the individual links to see what the cards look like.  I tried to set them up to avoid wasting paper. You print the file on one side of the cardstock. Then you flip the cardstock over and print the same file on the other side.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:19:43 pm by Karl » Logged
Delphinidae
Active Newbie

Whistler

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 07:30:16 pm »

One last thing, are there any plans to do this system online in the future? Let's see if I can get my point through since the idea I have feels rough. That is, that you can see others and your own trophy display as well sort of like the achievement system in iPhone games. The idea being that it would promote some sort of secondary reward system (primary one would actually playing your ocarina better) and promote a sort of competition or drive to reach the level of your peers.

That's the idea more or less since I can't stop thinking in Spanish at the moment. Hope it's understandable.

In music and kendo: Think not and you shall be, think and you shall not be.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: