Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 07, 2020, 07:26:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions, comments or discussion on The 5-Minute Musician's Club™  (Read 27948 times)
Cliff

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »

Delphinidae,

That's interesting that you mention that. I actually am thinking through a simple facebook app that would allow members encourage each other and perhaps post a status update on fb... wondering how helpful or not that would be. The iphone app has also been brought up (by Ubizmo I think). I think that that is a great idea. The iphone idea has nice potential because you could build a count-up timer into the app. I haven't delved into iphone app development yet so that would probably be farther in the future.

Any thoughts from the rest of the club on the helpfulness of online helps like this?

Thanks.

--Cliff

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:57:19 pm by Cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 08:00:29 pm »

Delphinidae,

I've been torn about whether to bring in a competitive spirit or not. Sometimes that type of thing can bring about short-term heroics but not the long-term habits we're looking for. Small consistent rewards are different than competition. Sometimes people get caught up in competitions, but then they wear themselves out, or give up, or move on. Still, Cliff and I have discussed the idea of some type of online tracking of monthly minutes, which one could share or not. I know I haven't communicated well here, but I'm sure we'll be talking more about this over time.

I like the idea of turning fiving into an app at some point. Over the phone, Ubi mentioned the idea of firework displays, etc., as rewards.  An app may eventually be better than a card system, at least for some folks.

Whether or not we do an app, I think it's important that people try the cards for a while first. Personally I love the simple card system because it is SO QUICK! No turning on a phone or going into a program. Also, having a dedicated card --which is separate from all the programs on my phone-- helps me to FOCUS.

With that said, I carry a droid phone, so I could easily track my fiving on  it. I guess we'd have to test out both the cards and an app and then compare.

Again, what do ya'll think?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:08:26 pm by Karl » Logged
Delphinidae
Active Newbie

Whistler

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 09:32:13 pm »

I completely understand where you're coming from, Karl; yes, excessive competitveness is a downside.

While I am interested in seeing how it would work out, I'd really like to stress out its a suggestion. There's a Japanese kendo saying that says "If you run after two hares and you will catch neither", meaning if you branch out and try to do many things at once instead on focusing on a single thing you won't succeed in anything at all. Since the club is just starting, it's something I'm interested in seeing in the future, but not right now during the club's consolidation stage.

As for the idea itself, I was thinking more along the lines of a small trophy for playing 5 minutes a whole week, a whole month, et cetera; which would reset themselves at the beginning of each week, month... so that one doesn't go stale by thinking "Oh, I got it already".

In music and kendo: Think not and you shall be, think and you shall not be.
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 11:27:03 pm »

Delphinidae,

You have understood me perfectly. As many of you begin fiving, I want to keep it simple so you can take easy baby steps. I think as people begin fiving, they will gradually see how powerful it can be. With that said, I'm confident that, with Cliff's programming expertise, we'll be experimenting with an online way to track and reward playing. 

PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 06:47:15 am »

I like both the rewards system, and an app.  I too have a Android phone. So if you do develop an app, I hope it can be for both the Iphone people and Android people.  Also, if in the future you develop anything specific for a computer download, please keep in mind some of us are Mac/Apple users, and as such, some files specific to Windows will not open or work with our computers.

I like the idea of being rewarded for my efforts.  I'm thinking maybe every month putting all the winners names into the hat for a drawing for a new Mountain Ocarina!  Oh ya baby...let the competition begin.  Ah, you know I'm just kidding.

In regards to the name, I think keeping it simple and trying to look into the future at the same time is a good idea. "Fiving" seems to hit the spot.  I think we should be original and adding an "i" in the name would not be so original. Fiving is what it's about. Do'n the Five Thing everyday.  The name indicates what it is we are doing.

Well that's my 2 cents for now!  Grin

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 02:52:29 pm »

PapaRobb,

Good feedback.

This part,
I like the idea of being rewarded for my efforts.  I'm thinking maybe every month putting all the winners names into the hat for a drawing for a new Mountain Ocarina!  Oh ya baby...let the competition begin.  Ah, you know I'm just kidding.
made me laugh out loud!  It's actually not a bad idea for the future.  As you know, I just want people to get into the joys and the habit of fiving before they concentrate too much on other motivators...

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:55:18 pm by Karl » Logged
JazzMan_4_Jesus
Active Newbie

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 09:40:10 pm »

I am all for the App for Droid and the free Mtn Oc Smiley

As for programing...for the web a simple PHP script using MySQL would prob work well with people logging in entering their stats and then using GD library to show the status or percent of the person for that month? Maybe even setup the GD library to create a small custom signature image that shows your current Fiver status for the month as well as your Oc?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:44:44 pm by JazzMan_4_Jesus » Logged

aka - Aaron
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 03:18:06 pm »

...."I'm a Fiver, She's a Fiver, He's a Fiver.....Wouldn't you like to be a Fiver too?  Be a Fiver, I'm a Fiver.....Wouldn't you like to be a Fiver too?..... Grin

Nephiel

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 10:42:37 pm »

This is a nice idea. I have to take a tram, a train, and then the subway to attend my classes every day, so I have plenty of five-minute slots of free time while waiting for them to arrive. In fact I've missed a few on purpose more than once Roll Eyes

I prefer the C for this, because it doesn't sound as shrill and the subway station adds a sweet reverb to it.

The main problem I have is, I still get quite nervous when playing in public, which causes me to fumble and make mistakes, which in turn make me even more nervous... Undecided

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:46:20 pm by Nephiel » Logged
Delphinidae
Active Newbie

Whistler

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 02:37:22 am »

You're not the only one. Even songs I know by heart simply won't come out if I feel people are watching me. I just try my best to ignore them (I close my eyes) and I just try to play the song, even if I have to lower the tempo.

In music and kendo: Think not and you shall be, think and you shall not be.
Classical
Active Newbie

May you receive what is best for you.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 01:31:07 am »

As I am retired, I don't think I'll need to be rewarded for "5 minutes" of
learning.  Instead, I will probably find it difficult to put my MO down.

Jan
JazzMan_4_Jesus
Active Newbie

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:52 am »

I am jealous of you Jan...but happy that you can play it more than I...ok just a little happy...but more jealous

aka - Aaron
Aggie80
Active Newbie

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 02:24:41 pm »

I've had my ocarina for a week and have 4 5 minute sessions on it.  It is surprising how simple, and yet complex, it is.  Even in those short periods I've learned a lot about position and breath control.

While a very tech saavy individual, I don't track things on my rather simple phone.  Cards and paper still exist in my pockets.

Classical
Active Newbie

May you receive what is best for you.

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »

I agree.  And I can't always see what's on my phone.

Jan
maki

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »

I like low tech.
But to each their own.

Freedom's the answer, what's the question?
http://www.voluntaryist.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: