Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 29, 2020, 08:37:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions, comments or discussion on The 5-Minute Musician's Club™  (Read 27924 times)
maki

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »

I like low tech.
But to each their own.

Freedom's the answer, what's the question?
http://www.voluntaryist.com/
JazzMan_4_Jesus
Active Newbie

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 03:35:18 pm »

Yesterday the kids and I played our Oc's for 2 hours..that's alot of tick marks on our fiver cards!

aka - Aaron
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 02:57:58 am »

Hi everyone,

A Quick Note:   I've completed a revised and hopefully improved Intro to the 5-Minute Musician's Club. Although this version is similar to the original, I believe this one flows and communicates better. Here's the link to read the new one. http://www.mountainsocarina.com/b/5mm-sign-up/  (We haven't yet posted it in the READ THIS FIRST section of the 5mmc here on the forum.)

I'm going to try to record the article in MP3 audio format tomorrow and post it on the forum. I know some of us like listening to and processing new material while exercising, etc. This is a great group! I'm very excited about some of the things we'll be discussing together...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:26:45 pm by Karl » Logged
JazzMan_4_Jesus
Active Newbie

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 01:45:36 am »

Looks great Karl! We are all fiving in my family and the kids are keeping track of their time on their cards.

aka - Aaron
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:02 am »

JazzMan,

That is incredible! As the weeks go by, I'll be very interested in learning from you how fiving works out when several family members are doing it. In fact, at some point we might want to start a thread called multi-fiving Wink to discuss the unique opportunities and challenges of family fivers.  Enough for now. I'm being told it is my bed time.

JazzMan_4_Jesus
Active Newbie

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2011, 03:32:22 am »

Sounds good looking forward to more discussion on this Smiley

aka - Aaron
Aggie80
Active Newbie

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 08:42:33 pm »

Wow!  After working my way through the basic songs on the intro flyer, I ventured into the music on line!  Wow!  All I can say is that I can't believe how easy it is to put it all together!  The full view of the instrument provided with the tabs is simply so easy! 

5 minutes flies by faster than a blink of the eye.

PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 02:17:04 am »

Shocked Seems like this Forum is rather silent.... shhhhhhhh  Roll Eyes

Is everyone blowing on their MO?   Must be practicing more than 5 min.
 Grin

kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 05:17:20 am »

Karl, perhaps instead of rewarding quantity of fives, it could reward consistency. That way, we get the public recognition system (and community interaction system, since that's what it would really be) that Delphindae suggested, but not the drive to overdo things just for the sake of outscoring the next guy. One way to incorporate this might be to add a profile badge for those who are consistently logging their fiving. But make it only take the last week or two weeks into account; that way if someone misses day (or two--but hopefully not), they only have to get back in there and start fiving again for a few days to get their badge back on their profile. And, that might keep people plugged into the forum consistently, too.

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 04:07:24 pm »

Kavilro, great post!

In fact there have been several great posts (thanks to Ubi and some others!) in the last day or two that I want to chime in on. I've got a pressing project on our future video curriculum that I need to finish, but I'll try to post my comments tonight or tomorrow.

Briefly, I think I understand your idea of a profile badge for consistent fiving, and I like it. Maybe you could explain your idea a bit more. Also, I would like for folks to start tracking fiving online. (We'll have to ask Cliff, the web genius, to help us with that. Smiley) I didn't want to start the online aspect right away because study and experience have convinced me that putting checks on the card each time you five is an integral, habit-forming part of fiving. With that said, online tracking could also be very reinforcing, especially with your consistency profile badge idea.

The profile badge might stimulate the curiosity of other forum members to look into fiving. (As I say so often, I don't think fiving is for everyone, especially if some other practice method is working well. But I do actually think that fiving would be great for every musician or would-be musician who wishes they could find a flexible, relatively easy way to practice more consistently. For me, at least, it works really well!)

I dedicate this last post to PapaRobb, who can see that we have abandoned our vow of silence. Wink

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:29:22 pm by Karl » Logged
kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 01:01:14 am »

I was thinking of a web interface where people could log in and record their time. For sake of ease I'd reuse someone's existing code for the interface--There are plenty of sites out there that track time, for payroll purposes on down to workouts.

But if we really wanted to get fancy, it could be set up so that you can email your five in for automatic processing or text it in using your phone. Basically, you set up an account that looks for emails(and texts) from Fivers. If it sees a text from the user's phone number or email address, and the body of the email/text is numeric, then it adds that number to the user's tally, and marks them as having Fived that day. All this would be added to the database feeding the website, or another database could be set up for it, as long as the website is set up to look for the data. Smiley

Now, on the forum, when rendering a page with it's posts, the webserver does a lookup on the user's Fiving activity, and if they've been consistent over the past 5 days then they get some sort of badge by their name or picture. Maybe there might be a gold star with a five. Or maybe their name appears in a different color, which would be more subtle. Or perhaps beneath where it says, "Active Newbie" it would also say, "Consistent Fiver."

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 01:45:32 am »

Kavaliro,

This sounds fantastic! Very well thought out! You obviously know what you are doing. Soon you and Cliff Hayashida will have to correspond to see what is doable in the near term. (Just so you know, Cliff is the guy behind all the technical aspects of our forum and website.) 

Any other ideas from fivers? JazzMan, I know you are a web guy...

The one thing I'd like to add to this is a possible way to display each 5 minutes of play. The following idea is one that I've tested on graph paper, and it works out nicely. (It's hard to express in words, however.) Above each day of the month there is a vertical column of squares. (Basically, like graph paper.) For each 5 minutes of play, one square is filled in.  If I play for 5 minutes on April 1st, my display on 4/1/11 is one square high. If I play 20 minutes on April 2nd, my 4/2/11 display is four squares high. 30 minutes on April 3rd--six squares high.  That way, practice time reads like a graph, and you can quickly assess trends or patterns.

Now, on the forum, when rendering a page with it's posts, the webserver does a lookup on the user's Fiving activity, and if they've been consistent over the past 5 days then they get some sort of badge by their name or picture. Maybe there might be a gold star with a five. Or maybe their name appears in a different color, which would be more subtle. Or perhaps beneath where it says, "Active Newbie" it would also say, "Consistent Fiver."

Yes! I like this!

And if they ever slip into lazy, slovenly, or just plain inconsistent behavior, their badge could be the equivalent of a "scarlet letter." That way we could badger and shame the offending parties back into more consistent fiving! (Just kidding! Those of you who know me also know that I believe in a positive rather than a negative approach.)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 01:47:51 am by Karl » Logged
Yaara

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 01:54:25 am »

Fiver was the name of the prophet in Watership Down by Richard Adams... I'd mention that he was also a rabbit, but I don't want to dissuade you from reading a very, very, very good book.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 11:02:52 am »

Fiver was the name of the prophet in Watership Down by Richard Adams... I'd mention that he was also a rabbit, but I don't want to dissuade you from reading a very, very, very good book.
Now I know why "fiver'" sounded familiar. Watership Down was one of my favorite books as a kid, but I'd probably enjoy it at least as much now.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:47:51 pm by Karl » Logged
Cliff

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 10:39:44 pm »

I was thinking of a web interface where people could log in and record their time. For sake of ease I'd reuse someone's existing code for the interface--There are plenty of sites out there that track time, for payroll purposes on down to workouts.

Kavaliro, great input. Were there any web applications (hopefully open source) in particular that are pretty close to what we need? It sounds like you're a coder as well...

Thanks!

--Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: