Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 29, 2020, 09:36:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions, comments or discussion on The 5-Minute Musician's Club™  (Read 27925 times)
kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 01:50:04 am »

I wasn't thinking of anything specific. Seeing that the backend is php, I looked around a little. Kimai seems way too robust for what this is trying to accomplish, as does just about everything else I see. I'm surprised not to see music lesson tracker software out there... Anyway, there's http://www.rustyparts.com/oats.php. Everything else I see is too specific. That part might have to be created from scratch.

As for email/phone connectivity: I'd go with gmail+google voice, because I can use pop/smtp on gmail, and receive (and send) texts with google voice. then it's just a matter of creating a script (bash probably but soooo many options) to fetch my email, parse the text, and store the output in the appropriate database table. There's probably more secure methods but considering the emails won't be all that security sensitive and also that there will be a script or two buffering the email from the database, I don't see too much concern. For added security, you could have the script ignore any emails that don't come from a known address. Really, that should be enough. For bonus points, there's probably an API for Google Voice that will let you skip the email when it comes to texts, but the method I describe above will work.

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah
Cliff

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2011, 02:04:33 am »

Kavaliro, thanks for that! That was helpful. This forum is PHP based, but I actually am pretty weak in PHP. I've been pretty focused on Python/Django for the last couple of years. If there was much customization needed I'd be tempted to just write the thing as it would be a pretty simple Django app I believe.

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2011, 03:12:13 am »

Yeah, I'm php weak too. I've spent too much time in csharp-land lately. But the php resources out there are top notch--php does documentation better than anyone else.  And programming is programming. There are nuance differences, but the concepts are all pretty much the same.

I just read that you don't need Google Voice as part of your toolchain, by the way. You can send and receive SMS traffic with GMail directly.

I've just about got Scarborough Fair down. Smiley But I'll probably forget how to play it by tomorrow Wink

-Baha'u'llah
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2011, 06:47:52 am »

I'm glad to see more activity here. I was beginning to wonder where everyone went. I like the new ideas I see coming forth. 

I still think an Android App for tracking our 5's would be great.  Of course maybe that's because I own an Android smartphone.

But I like apps that allow my life to be simpler and to put to use the features of my Captivate smart phone.

Ok, just one more question, how many minutes are we suppose to practice when fiving?
 Roll Eyes

Robb

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2011, 03:54:29 pm »

Ok, just one more question, how many minutes are we supposed to practice when fiving?

Robb, this such a good question that we all agreed (in a top secret meeting) to release you from your self-imposed limit of "just one more question."

To lay a foundation for my answer, I'll repeat a few important fiving concepts that relate to your question:

1st of all, aim for just 5 minutes. This helps overcome your fears and helps you get started NOW (instead of at some point in the future when maybe you'll find a big chunk of time).

2nd, the daily fiving question is important: When is the next time I can play for just 5 minutes? You want your subconscious mind to be scanning for LITTLE opportunities to play. Remember that a few shorter sessions are usually more productive than one long one.

3rd, you can stop after five... or you can keep going. Let Pull Versus Push suck you into one or more extra tally marks if you have time and are feeling alert and productive. On the other hand, if you are starting to zone out and find that you are just putting in time without much effort, it's time to take a break! Come back to it when your mind clears or you have more energy.

But I probably still haven't answered your question. I imagine that you are yelling at your monitor, "Karl, don't you understand English? I asked how LONG I'm supposed to practice?"

(By the way, I forgive you for yelling at me.) How much time do YOU think is realistic for you to practice on a daily basis? This varies from person to person, depending on how busy we are, how supportive family or friends are, how important music is to us...   

I suggest that you aim to play every day, and more than once per day is helpful because more frequent repetition of a behavior is more habit-forming. And I strongly encourage you to use the fiving tally card. When I look at my card each time I play, it motivates me to keep those tally marks coming.

There isn't a set amount of time that is ideal for all, and our schedules and responsibilities vary from day to day. I just tallied up my own fiving for the last month. The number of minutes varies widely from day to day, but I am very pleased with the average amount of time I practiced each day.  In fact, I love that at last I have a practice system that can flex with the ever-changing nature of my life.

Robb, please ask for more clarification if I've missed the gist of your question!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:07:51 pm by Karl » Logged
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2011, 09:34:58 pm »

Grin Karl, first of all let me apologize for the "ALL CAPS" (yelling).   Grin
 Roll Eyes thank you for letting me ask more questions.  Kiss
 Cheesy Thanks for responding to my post.  I ummm am kinda embarrassed now,  Undecided  My question about how many minutes in "5"ing was meant to be funny  Grin  of course the is 5 in the word Fiving which would indicate the amount of time to spend is at least "5" minutes. But your explanation was very good! Wink

All I can say is a big THANK YOU !

-Robb Shocked

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2011, 10:50:19 pm »

Cheesy Oh, man, Robb, I just laughed out loud when I read your post! Of course, now I see your joke--kind of like "What color was George Washington's white horse?" I should have picked up on it, but I am big on respecting all questions, so your subtle humor slipped right under my radar. (In my defense, I must point out that not one of the people in that top secret meeting told me you were joking.)

I thought you were asking something like the following type of question: "What should my daily practice quota be?"  "How many minutes do I have to put in to make progress?"  Looking on the bright side, if you ever do wonder about daily practice quotas some day, you can always refer back to my long post on that subject! Wink

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:56:29 pm by Karl » Logged
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2011, 06:20:11 am »

Huh I can't believe this forum has no activity at ALL.  Undecided

I know the main idea behind this club is to help us stay motivated to practicing our MO 5 minutes per day, or as often as we can. But, I also know it is a club to help support each other, specifically about fiving.  Sharing our 5 club experiences, goals, our ups and downs and in betweens.

It's a little disappointing, that a club isn't clubbing........  Cry

Yaara

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:03 pm »

Hi PapaRobb,

It's just hard to type with both hands on the ocarina.   Smiley

Yaara

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2011, 02:12:14 am »

It's a little disappointing, that a club isn't clubbing........ 

PapaRobb, I'm a little disappointed about this too because I REALLY believe in the fiving concepts. To me, this system has worked tremendously well. For example, over the past 4 months, I have easily averaged over an hour of enjoyable, productive playing time every day. (Because I go at it in shorter sessions, I enjoy it more and get more out of it than ever before in my life.)

A bit more than an hour a day might sound like a lot of time to some of you, while to others it will sound like very little. All I can say is that, in the context of my very busy life (we have our own demanding instrument-making business, our wonderful children have severe special needs, my wife Susan works every weekend as a hospice nurse, etc.), it has been a long time since I've been able to consistently fit in this much music making. What a joy! And it is so satisfying to see new skills blossom at a much faster rate. 

Of course, I was (and still am) hopeful that fiving would help a lot of folks the way it has helped me to fit more music into my DAILY life. In fact, I have a bunch of potential fiving blog outlines ready to go, but I've held off on writing them because I'm not sure if more than a tiny handful of us are even fiving. As of today, March 14, 2011, I've mailed out almost a hundred fiving kits, but I have no idea if they are being used.

So, if you are fiving, please consider sharing your successes or struggles with us. (PapaRobb needs to hear from you! Wink ) Or, if you feel more comfortable, please fill out the Anonymous Feedback for the 5-Minute Musician's club. Let us know what is or isn't working.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 07:40:03 pm by Karl » Logged
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 05:20:54 pm »

Hang in there Karl... don't give up on us yet.  Your idea is a great one and sometimes great things take a little time to catch on, but man or man when they do look out! 

Maybe if we sent the President a MO with a set of fiving cards...hummmmm  Roll Eyes   Maybe he can write a new song for us... yes we can...oh oh ya yes we can... doo dooo daaa daaa....  Cool

Fiving isn't that difficult to do, after all, it only takes 5 minutes  Grin

kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 09:23:47 pm »

OK, I'll play, though I wasn't going to upload this just yet:

This is a spreadsheet I slapped together. I plan on adding more stats, and I plan on adding a sheet for songs, which will have SongTitle, Commenced_Learning_Date, Mastery_Level(x), Mastery_Level(x)_Achievement_Date,Last_Practiced_This_Song_Date. (and maybe the sheet music for it. Either as a link or as an embedded object) The idea behind the songs sheet being, it shows progress in concrete terms, and we could then develop statistics on generally how often in terms of practice hours one should add a new song in order to maximize the payoff in skill level increase. (Too many songs at once leads to not mastering anything, whereas too few songs leads to not picking up new skills.) This would be dependent upon users uploading their data for harvesting. But I think most would if they thought they were contributing something useful to the community as a whole. Additionally it would help with keeping songs fresh in our minds because we could see which songs we've gone the longest without practicing, or which ones we need to focus on. Further, it would, if used by lots of people, give an estimate on how long it takes to achieve proficiency with the ocarina. This really should be in a database and served up as a website. Then the question of getting data back from users becomes moot. So think of it as hints for developing the 5MMC website tools.

I created this in OpenOffice. Why? Because it's available to everyone, whereas Microsoft Office is not. It's a little harder to code macros in, because the code editor doesn't do intellisense and doesn't even include an object explorer (major shortsightedness if you ask me.) But it works.

A little trick I'm working on is to have the chart always include only those days that are populated with data. The macro coding behind that is dead easy in MS office, but less so in OpenOffice. But it just occurred to me I might be able to use a named range. I'll have to play around with that. You can ignore the 5-month-data sheet, that's just more playing around with ways to get the chart looking pretty without macros. Wink

Anyway, here it is:

-Baha'u'llah
bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2011, 11:49:16 am »

I think this fiving concept is a great idea. However, I'm neither a very ambitious, a very organised nor a very busy person. I play a bit every now and then for a few minutes or more and enjoy it a lot, but the ticking part may be more of a reward for those who are at least some of those things.

kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2011, 04:52:13 pm »

@bakfot: I'd say give it shot, but no one will force you to do it.

When you boil it down, it comes down to this: success, any real success that isn't blind luck, comes from having a plan and executing it. The 5MMC club is a drop-in-place plan (that's still being refined) to get a person from "I can toot on my new whistle," to "When I pick up my ocarina and play, people are impressed. Kids gather around. Birds join in chorus. Flowers bloom." Ok, ok. Maybe not the birds and flowers parts. Wink The point is, there are lots of points in learning anything where it's easy to give up. Having a plan gives you something to latch onto, to pull you through the hard parts. "Well, I'm not seeing any improvement. But at least I'm increasing the number of hours that I have practiced at it. At least I learned the notes to one more song. At least I got one more tick mark."  And time passes. And then suddenly you realize: you're improving again!

If you don't want to put the check marks, no one can force you. Take what you want to take from the 5MMC club. If you find that you're slipping on practicing daily, though, consider giving the tickmarks a chance. It may surprise you. The logic behind it is sound.

I thought about it the same way at first. But then I realized that the reason I didn't want to do the tick marks was the fear that I'd fail to keep track of the ticks. That doesn't make sense once you call it out for what it is. So I started doing it. The jury is still out on whether it's helping me personally. But I know that the logic is sound.

-Baha'u'llah
Masoncade
Active Newbie

A frizzle frazzle?

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 03:56:51 am »

Fortunately for me, I just got out of school, so I have quite a few ticks on my card Cheesy

but this is a great idea. The thing I love most about Mountain Ocarinas are that I always have it with me! I am a competitive trombone player (high school region/area/state competitions) and I love playing, I just don't do it as much as I should because I have to put it together, tune it, warm up my chops, which doesn't SOUND like a whole lot, but it keeps me and many other players from practicing as much as they should. I've improved leaps and bounds on my Poly C (which is always around my neck unless I'm marching, swimming, or wearing a suit) in the two weeks I've had it.

They call him Mr. Nicejob. Because he ALWAYS does a nice job.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: