Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 13, 2018, 05:33:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monto-Okarino  (Read 4126 times)
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« on: April 08, 2011, 12:31:02 am »

There are a handful of Esperanto speakers playing MOs, as we've already noticed. Given the relative scarcity of Esperanto speakers and ocarina players in the general population, it's pretty unlikely to find any overlap. The fact that the ocarina players are Mountain Ocarina players is even more remarkable.

Well, I learned Esperanto in...1985, which was long before I picked up an ocarina. Between then and now, I've gone through active and inactive periods, but I've always had some Esperanto books around that I'd read on a pretty regular basis. But apart from running a club here in Philly years ago, and writing an article or two, I never really contributed much. Since Esperanto depends very much on its far-flung speech community for resources and content, I decided to try to do something. So I started a podcast. So far there are two episodes of it, and the only reason for mentioning it on this board is that the second episode, which I uploaded last night, is about ocarinas in general, with specific mention of Mountain Ocarinas.

The first podcast episode was about beer. I decided I needed some "intro" and "outro" music, so I put in some short snips of my playing, with fadeouts. To my surprise, I received a couple of emails (in Esperanto) asking me about the music, where it came from, and so forth. That's what gave me the idea to dedicate Episode 2 to the ocarina. I used the same intro, but at the end I just dumped the whole "Summertime" track in.

So, for all you Esperanto enthusiasts, here it is: Esperdozo

Ubizmo

Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »

Well, you got me to read more about Esperanto. As a former foreign language student and teacher, I've always been aware of Esperanto but have never taken time to read much about it or google it before. I found it surprising how much I was able to glean from your podcast, but I know that I understood much more than I ordinarily would have because the subject matter (ocarinas) is so familiar to me.

Esperanto as a universal second language is a wonderful ideal, if only...

Your ocarina soundtrack is gorgeous.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:33:50 pm by Karl » Logged
ubizmo

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 01:16:57 pm »

I've received a bit of feedback from the podcast, including some queries about where to get ocarinas, so perhaps some orders will be placed.

For many Esperantists, myself included, the "universal second language" ideal isn't really what it's about. In fact, we have terms for these things. That ideal is called Finvenkismo, from Fina Venko, meaning "final victory". There are still plenty of Finvenkistoj in the Esperanto world, but there is also a large contingent of Raŭmistoj. This term is derived from "Rauma", a town in Finland where this sub-movement started. Raŭmists, like myself, no longer see the goal of Esperanto to be the world's universal second language. We are indifferent to that. Instead, we see it as a unique cultural diaspora, with its own special values, literature, and traditions. We think Esperanto has a lot to offer just as it is, and the important thing is to support it and keep it vigorous.

Consider this: I speak some French. If I go to France and try to connect socially with French people as a non-tourist, just because I speak French, I will have a very hard time doing it. Imagine someone stopping you in the street in the US and saying, "I speak English. Let's go have coffee!" But as an Esperanto speaker, I can do this very thing. Last summer, I attended a conference in Dublin, where I certainly had no need of Esperanto. But I went to the Dublin Esperanto society anyway, and ended up having a very pleasant afternoon at a picnic in a city where I don't know a single soul. Esperanto creates a bond between people that would be lost, in fact, if the Fina Venko were to come about.

Getting back to ocarinas, there's a similar phenomenon at work. The ocarina is a "fringe" instrument, unknown by many, barely known by others. This creates a kind of musical subculture that is, in my experience, very different from what you find in, say, the world of sax playing. The sax is a popular "accepted" instrument, like the guitar or piano, so the bond between sax players is cooler and more distant, like the bond between English or French speakers. The bond between ocarina players is more like what you see in the Esperanto world.

I know this is pretty far-fetched, but it's something I've actually given a fair amount of thought to. I know myself well enough to understand that I am, and have always been, attracted to "underdog" ideas. Even in the underdog musical world of ocarinas, I'm attracted to the MO, the underdog of ocarinas! I like to think that's mainly for musical reasons, but I have no doubt that the underdoggery of the MO, in the tiny fishbowl of ocarina playing (is that metaphor mixed enough?) has something to do with it too.

So there. And at no extra charge, you get a new word: underdoggery!

Cliff

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:43:48 pm »

I know myself well enough to understand that I am, and have always been, attracted to "underdog" ideas. Even in the underdog musical world of ocarinas, I'm attracted to the MO, the underdog of ocarinas! I like to think that's mainly for musical reasons, but I have no doubt that the underdoggery of the MO, in the tiny fishbowl of ocarina playing (is that metaphor mixed enough?) has something to do with it too.

Hmmm... I hope we don't lose you when if MO gains total world domination of the music world and loses its underdoggery

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Karl

Coda Creator & Player

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 08:11:31 pm »

Cliff, I can't believe that you said that! We talked about this just last week. What part of TOP SECRET WORLD DOMINATION PLAN did you not understand?!

kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:41:11 pm »

Mi aŭskultis la podkaston, kaj ĝi bonegas! Dankon.

I listened to the podcast, and it's great! Thanks.

I'm an idealist. Definitely a finvenkisto. I believe that a universal auxilliary language is a prerequisite to establishing world peace. It's a medium which brings about understanding amongst differing cultures. One of the major roadblocks to actual success by the United Nations is that they've failed (twice, in fact) to make the correct choice by adopting a culturally neutral language like Esperanto in which to conduct all of their business.

I don't disagree with what Raŭmistsoj (pronounced, "rawMEEStoy", in case you're wondering) are saying. I agree that the culture of Esperanto is a huge part of it's draw. I will definitely miss it when everyone suddenly gets on board and starts learning Esperanto, because part of that culture will evaporate. But most of it will be absorbed by the new speakers. It will really make the world a better place. But that's not now. That's future. It's current culture is awesome. It's kinda the same thing as when there were Linux User's Groups everywhere. The culture was great. But the time for that has moved on. Now, much of what was awesome about LUGs lives on in the Internet, but the LUG culture is nostalgically missed. And it'll happen pretty much the same way. Linux users endured a crazy amount of ridicule from the press, who laughed at us when we said Linux would take over the world. People are still using their cruddy old windows computers now. But Linux really has taken over the world. Practically every person in modern society interacts with it several times a day, without even realizing it. But there's still a culture for the hard core linux guys. Instead of getting laughed at, Linux gurus are offered jobs. It'll be the same for Esperanto. We'll just wake up one morning and realize, what we've been saying all along has happened. I'd love to accelerate that process. But it is what it is.

Ubizmo, I really like that your podcast is so clear and not 90mph. I have been convinced for years that Radio Polando sped up their broadcast recording by 10%, and it's just unpleasant to try and listen to an "Esperanto auctioneer." Your pace is perfect, though--just where it's supposed to be. Keep it up!

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah
ubizmo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 04:29:51 pm »

Cliff, I can't believe that you said that! We talked about this just last week. What part of TOP SECRET WORLD DOMINATION PLAN did you not understand?!

Step One: Convert the Esperantists. After that, the rest of the world will fall in line.

FredDooolie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:24:10 pm »

cxu vere? Estas bona vidi esperantistoj en la grupo.

... There is too much sax and violins on TV these days. Whatever happened to ukuleles and ocarinas?
Yaara

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 11:22:33 pm »

Kaj se ĉiuj esperantistoj ĉi tie ankaŭ praktikas jogon, mi vere komencos kredi ke estas serioza komploto ie.

Hodiaŭ mato, morgaŭ mondo!

Yaara

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
kavaliro
Active Newbie

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 04:38:37 am »

Ne, mi ne praktikas jogon. Mi pensis pri tio, sed ne. Wink

"The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah
Calculus

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 04:54:40 am »

Saluton!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: