Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 06:09:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are We All Too Busy?  (Read 9668 times)
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« on: May 10, 2011, 06:44:04 am »

I know we are all very busy living our different lives.  Practicing our MO's 5 minutes a day (at least). But, I think we have forgotten that The 5 Minute Musician's Club, includes posting to the "5 Minute Musician's Club" forum.  5 mmc was designed to not only motivate us to practice when we can find that extra ( or make the extra) five minutes, but to also support each other in this club.

I am very disappointed that the support is just not happening. It's been almost a month since someone has posted anything.

A club, any club, has meetings. Whether they be held, weekly, monthly.... but the club members get together and share ideas and experiences with other members.  Since our 5mmc can't meet together for regular face to face meetings, we have this forum to meet each other and share.

The club suport isn't suppose to come from Karl alone.  The support and ideas are suppose to come from it's members.  We learn from each other.  But so far I just can't see that happening.

You know Karl, they say that a person only gives what they've put into something.  Maybe you made the 5mmc too easy for us. You gave it to us for FREE.  And since it hasn't cost any of us anything, we don't feel we owe anything in return.

When I was growing up, my dad always made me work for what I wanted.  I never got it right away, but I earned it.  When I finally had enough money to buy it, if I still had the interest in it,  it meant more to me, then if my dad had just given me the money outright or bought it for me.  I learn to take appreciate what I had gotten, and it seemed to have more meaning for me.

Well that's my 2 cents worth.  Whether anyone agrees with me or not. In fact, I doubt anyone whose a 5mmc member will even respond, since no one has any interest in posting to the forum anyway.  But since I am a 5mmc member, I have the right to post, and I have now done so. 

So for now I move that this meeting be adjourned.

Do I hear a First?

yup...

and a Second?

yup....

So be it, motion carried.

This meeting is now adjourned.

*bang bang...gavel on table** Roll Eyes

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:53:52 pm »

You make a good point. A club should be a club. In fact, things have been extremely busy for me during the last few months, and many days I barely make time to check messages here at MO Central.

Concerning fiving....Well, this has been my informal practice since getting the MO. It was, and is, one of the main attractions of the instrument. I have found, however, that the use of the cards hasn't been a great success for me. It seems that that sort of record-keeping doesn't motivate me very well. What does motivate is a particular task, such as a short musical passage.

For those who have read about Flow, I think it's clear that the practice of fiving, in whatever form, is conducive to it. I get a lot of satisfaction out of working on a passage and hearing myself get better at it.

PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:02:09 pm »

Ubizmo,

Thank you for sharing.  I've watched many of your U-Tube videos and I can see that you play with lots of compassion, and you only keep getting better and better with each video!   

Maybe sometime you can briefly explain about Flow, Since many people here may not know what that is.

Thanks,

Papa Robb

Cliff

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 04:18:28 pm »

You know Karl, they say that a person only gives what they've put into something.  Maybe you made the 5mmc too easy for us. You gave it to us for FREE.  And since it hasn't cost any of us anything, we don't feel we owe anything in return.

When I was growing up, my dad always made me work for what I wanted.  I never got it right away, but I earned it.  When I finally had enough money to buy it, if I still had the interest in it,  it meant more to me, then if my dad had just given me the money outright or bought it for me.  I learn to take appreciate what I had gotten, and it seemed to have more meaning for me.

PapaRobb,

There is a lot of wisdom in the notion that we often don't value things that were free to us...

Thanks for caring about the The 5-Minute Musician's Club™ and posting your feelings. I'm not sure how to make it a "club." I do want to get an application set up to let us share our progress with each other online as kavaliro and others have suggested. I will probably set this up as a Facebook app for various reasons. This is a nice encouragement to get back going on that project.

--Cliff

--Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Yaara

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:40:39 am »

For what it's worth... I had a too-busy day at work that left me feeling grouchy and stressed when I got home... and the only reason I grudgingly made time for my MO was because I'm keeping track of my 5M per day, and didn't want to break my streak... and now that I've played for half an hour, I feel much better.  So, thanks 5MMC.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:23:18 pm »

That is really cool!   Cool

This is what 5MMC is all about.  It's those little nudges that helps keep us going.  When you start feeling guilty about not taking 5 minutes to practice, then the program is working!

Papa Robb
 Grin

PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:10:17 pm »

Cry  In looking over all the post dates in The 5-Minute Musician's Club, you can see that I am absolutely correct that we are all too busy to post anything, or just plain too lazy.

My postings are the only ones current in the month of May.  Many are from March and April. 

Sorry Karl, I guess there really is no way make a horse drink.
 Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

Yaara

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:07:19 pm »

Ah, but there are several recent posts in almost all of the other topics in the Forum.  Often when I have something to post, sure, it could fit under 5MMC, but it fits better under another heading.  Don't assume that the horses aren't drinking -- we're just not always at the same trough.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
PapaRobb
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:21:52 am »

You may be right about people posting in the other topics.  But the 5MMC is a club specifically for those using the fiving cards. It's a separate forum altogether.

If we're not going to post anything about fiving, then why bother to have a 5MMC in first place.  Karl can just mail out the card for free to anyone who wants them for whatever reason.

The 5MMC was suppose to be a special forum for the purpose of using the 5 minute cards.  And to share our ups and downs about using the cards or practicing 5 minutes.

The rest of the forum is for Hurrah I got my MO in the mail today, or how long do I cut the straw for a silencer?  Or I've posted another video of me playing my Mo. or I want a red one, can you make me a red white and blue? or......

The people posting to the other parts of the MO forum, did not request Karl send them a free 5MMC kit. 

This part of the forum IS for the people who requested a FREE 5MMC kit.  Ummmm where are they?

Hey Karl, how many 5MMC kits did you mail out?   Cry

Harp Player

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:36:46 pm »

I just ordered my poly G & C, the self learning course and signed up for the club.  I used to keep an extra harmonica beside my computer and practice on it a little bit every day, and I was making great progress doing that, but once my practice harmonica went flat I didn't order a replacement one so I ended up stopping the 5 minute sessions and my playing has suffered because of it.

I doubt I will take my MO to w*rk with because it is very dusty and dirty there and I wouldn't want to put one in my mouth after having in in that environment.

I was thinking maybe a Email group for the 5MMC would be a good idea? I usually check my mail at least once a day that would serve as a reminder to me.

cerescop

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 07:51:37 pm »

from what i have heard they are dishwasher safe. In fact. several players have washed theirs and say they sound better than before.

Harp Player

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:04:05 pm »

The dishwasher huh?  I will have to see if I can get her to wash it for me sometime then.

Cliff

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 02:02:53 pm »

Some people have used the dishwasher, but I probably wouldn't recommend that. It is probably a very harsh environment for the oc. The part of the MOs that is most susceptible to damage is the adhesive used to hold it together... and prolonged exposure to water may weaken it. The soap in a dishwasher lowers the surface tension of the water and may allow it to have more exposure to the adhesive. The dishwasher runs for a long time with soapy water and under heat.

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
cerescop

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 05:18:18 pm »

Yeah and the dishwashing detergent is an alkalai solution and might have a bad effect on the adhesive.

Delphinidae
Active Newbie

Whistler

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 03:13:28 am »

I have to admit I've been too busy to log online, but I have had other deterrants with the 5mm club. I did fiving even before the cards came out so they're kind of redundant for me, but at the same time I'm irked on a matter of principles because if I wanted to have my own cards I'd have to print them. I understand that international shipping for international customers isn't feasible without bankrupting Karl, but having to print the cards makes me feel like a second class citizen/member compared to those who got their kits, so as ridiculously as it sounds that really demotivates me even though I don't even use the cards!  Tongue

On another note, even though I don't have a mic or webcame, I think the club could thrive if we could post videos or audio so we could give feedback to each other or share out thoughts about a piece we're trying to nail down. Perhaps even add a handwritten scan of the sheet music we're trying to play or such.

In music and kendo: Think not and you shall be, think and you shall not be.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: