Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 03, 2020, 03:51:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: A Harmonica players beginnings with the MO  (Read 42932 times)
Harp Player

« on: May 22, 2011, 05:31:42 pm »

I just ordered my MO after waiting a month after first finding them so I can't say anything about my musical journey with them but I will give a little information about my musical background.

I was raised in a little Baptist church that had, and still, has a wonderful music program so music and singing has been a part of my entire life.  I tried a few times to learn how to play different instruments without much in the way of results until I decide to try the Harmonica when I was in my 30's.  I took to it pretty quick and was playing a large number of songs via tab in a short time.  After about 3 years I did a few specials at church then started playing with the band on a regular basis shortly there after. I noticed that I was starting to pay less and less attention to the tabs over time and I have now reached the point to where I can pick up on a new song in a matter of a few minutes (often before they finish the first verse). 

That is just a very brief sketch of my music history.  I am looking forward to getting my MO and seeing what I can do with them.

Barry

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:19:58 am by Harp Player » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:05:10 pm »

I received mu MO's today.  My first impressions is that they were well packed, and solidly built.  Like most people I went straight to the  MO's and ignored everything else  Embarrassed.  I tried to play the basic scale and it sounded like I was killing my cat, so I decided to read the instructions.  A few attempts later and it started to sound a lot better.  This is going to take a little while but that is all part of the fun. Well enough for now I need to get back to playing.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:20:19 am by Harp Player » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:38:32 am »

I spent about 45 minutes with the CD and learning to play book.  I managed to play a passable Hot Cross Buns although some of the buns fell a little  Wink. I guess I was getting a bit tired close to the end of my session.  Still need to work on my tone and being consistent on breath pressure.   I have a habit of letting notes fade away at times on the harmonica, I am going to have to break myself of this playing the MO because I have found the notes just go sour instead of fade out. 

I like the method of teaching the rhythm that is being used because it is not too far away from learning to sing the song  ( the method I have used on a harmonica for years). 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:20:45 am by Harp Player » Logged
cerescop

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 05:08:32 pm »

Theres an exercise on playing and holding the notes on the bottom of the page about section 5 or 6. I found that to be a good exercise. Give it a try.  There are times when you may want to have a note trail off. listen to Al Martinos video in the home site. He uses that effect well.

Harp Player

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 06:44:01 am »

I am trying not to jump ahead of myself too much.   I did look at lessons 2 and 3 a bit but I am still having tone problems and want to be able be able to play Hot Cross Buns without them falling, and Marry had a little lamb without it sounding like she had a buzzard before I move on.    One a positive note I am improving on my tone. I am also taking time just to try to play all major notes just by just moving up and down the scale.  I think that will be a big help  once I decide to move on in the lessons.  I am not in a hurry or a race, I play music to help me relax as much as anything so am not putting pressure on myself to get better fast. I want to take it slow and get a good foundation before moving on.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment cerescop.  I would love to here from some more MO newbies on here.

One other note: I tried to find the mentor page on the website "/mom/" and it said page not found has that been discontinued now?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:52:52 am by Harp Player » Logged
cerescop

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:47:27 pm »

It won't be jumping ahead, not really. It is called the long tone exercise. Its just doing a scale with full notes at 4/4 time. We all do scales, up and down. The exercise is to develop the proper sound and hold the note. This way you practice the diatonic scale and work on your breath control to maintain the sound. The MO does not really require alot of pressure to sound really good. From what you wrote in  the forum sounds like you are over blowing the ocarina and gettin the screeching sound. Like fingernails on a chalk board. The ocarina can be blown aggressively but breath control is key. The long note exercise is there to help you with finger placement and breath control to get the tone you want to achieve. Well thats my 2 cents worth its on the bottom of page 13, middle of the book. I think it should have been farther towards the front or in a annex, in the back, for practice exercises. But its where it is because by then you have the notes/fingerings to do the exercise. But for getting the sound you want its a big help.

Harp Player

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:32 am »

Ok, I have been doing the long tone exercise.  I am spending more time doing that than actually working on playing the lesson one songs.  I am sounding better on the left hand notes most of the time but I am not consistent.  I seldom screech, it is more like a wheeze or sometimes a 'plastic whistle' sound I am thinking it may be attack and end phase of the note is where I am going wrong.  I have not had my regular practice time today (yet) way too much going on.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:23:54 am by Harp Player » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:53:38 am »

I didn't get to play today until very late because it was just crazy.  But when I did I noticed a big change in both the MO's, somehow they figured out that they were a quality music instrument instead of a kids plastic whistle.  Smiley  I have been doing the long note exercises  since Friday ( got the MO on Thursday).  They are still having a little trouble with that pesky low note, but even that is sounding much better.   

Anyway after playing the unit 1 songs I moved on to  unit 2 and things went very well on the first song in the lesson and 2 of the songs in the appendix (didn't quite get grandma grunts down).  I guess that would qualify as a small breakthrough.

cerescop

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 08:21:22 am »

Thats progress keep at it. Rome wasn't built in a day. Enjoy the trip remember its the journey not the destination that makes it worth it to start with. lol

Harp Player

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 05:55:08 am »

Thanks, I am definitely enjoying the trip.  The MO is much less frustrating to me than the Maui Xaphoon was.  Not that is a bad instrument I just couldn't get the hang of the sax reed.

I officially started fiveing on June 1 because I didn't want to have a card that was 2/3 blank. I am making slow but steady progress, and I almost have grandma grunts down, but I doubt I will ever play that one again once I finish the course.  I am still doing the long note drill I think that is helping me more than anything at this point.

cerescop

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 12:59:53 pm »

The long note exercise really helped me with keeping the poly c sounding correctly. Stay at it you will improve faster than u think. I really enjoyed the first half of the course. Then I started playing by ear. I discovered alternate fingerings for flats and sharps and just enjoy the picking out of the notes to favorite tunes . I will be going back out on the road soon and won't have internet access often. I will check back in periodically and see if I can help if I can. I am really not that accomplished I just play for my own enjoyment. have fun...

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »

Thanks, I am definitely enjoying the trip.  The MO is much less frustrating to me than the Maui Xaphoon was.  Not that is a bad instrument I just couldn't get the hang of the sax reed.

Even as a sax player, I find the Xaphoon very difficult to get even a semi-decent sound out of, and I eventually sold the thing!

Harp Player

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 03:24:53 pm »

Even as a sax player, I find the Xaphoon very difficult to get even a semi-decent sound out of, and I eventually sold the thing!

Good to know it wasn't just me then. I have been dragging it out every now and then for a few days at a time for almost 5 years now.  Mostly just trying the scale thing. Sometimes it would show a little potential then squawk squeal wheeze on the notes. I guess the only reason I never sold it is because I am kinda stubborn like that. I was actually thinking of giving it another go in a few months (once I get the MO to the point of being comfortable to me).  Now that I have heard back from someone that can play the sax I may just forget it.

Harp Player

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 06:43:25 am »

Well I have had my MO's for a week now (as of Thursday) and I am very happy with the progress I am making.  The Poly G is sounding better every day I still cab't quite get that lowest not to sound right, but the rest are sounding much better.  As for the C poly I it is still very raspy on the 2 lowest notes.  I have been spending quite a bit of time on the long note drill that ubizmo demonstrated on his video on getting a better sound from the MO.  Today I started on Lesson 4.  Not because I have all of songs on lesson 3 down, but because I was getting sick of just having 3 notes to play on a song.  Grin  Because of the time I had spent on the long note drill I am having no problem at all with that lesson.  I had planned on spending a week on each lesson, so I am very pleased with my progress so far and I am loving learning a new instrument.

cerescop

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 09:04:34 am »

Check out the video on the paper wind-way cleaner. I found that running a cleaner thru the wind-way always helped with the low note raspiness. There is a little raspiness on the lowest note sometimes because all the air going in is coming out of the only hole left the fipple. The rest of the time it has more places to go.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: