Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 03, 2020, 02:53:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: A Harmonica players beginnings with the MO  (Read 42921 times)
Harp Player

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 06:46:22 pm »

I have been saying for years that computers don't belong on cars and trucks, that is why I am still driving an early 80's model nissan pickup. It don't have any of that junk on it.

Danny boy is a very pretty melody and has been used on a number of songs over the years.  I have played it on my harmonica many times.

Harp Player

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 03:55:07 am »

It has been a few days since I posted anything.   I am currently working on lesson 8 in the book.  I can play Yankee doodle now but no where as fast as what is on the CD, so I am still working on it some.  I haven't been getting every song in each unit down real good because some of them just don't interest me enough to put a lot of time into them.  I hope that don't come  back to haunt me later on.

On a more interesting note:  Today after church I was just hanging out and chatting  with some friends and ended up showing them my PollY C, and I played a few bars of "Just as I am" for them.   That was my first time playing in the MO for other people so it was a big step for me.  I play my Harmonica with the band every Sunday, but is was somehow a bit scary playing a new instrument in public.

cerescop

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 05:27:05 am »

I was working on Danny Boy sitting waiting for authorization to hook up to a preloaded trailer. I had talked to the gate guard on the way into the yard. I told him the load I wanted and he went into the office which is about 20 yards away. I had the drivers window down and was playing danny boy them green sleeves and then back to danny boy and he comes walking back up to my truck. I didn't know he was there. I was a little engrossed in my playing. He knocked on my door and I about lost it. I was startled. He commented that he heard the C all the way over at the office and that the playing sounded good. He handed me an envelope that contained the bills of lading for the trailer I needed and walked away. I carry cards from MO that have the computer addy and the phone number along with all the info to contact them. I gave him one. He appeared interested. He said he wanted to get one for his son. Yeah, sure, for the son....thats what I would say to.  I have to be careful. truck drivers sleep at all hours of the day so I cant play where ever I would like its loud enough to penetrate my truck and wake up sleepers next to me. Any time we go outside our comfort zone like with a new instrument playing in public can be a emotional strain. but it gets easier with time. I won't say I havent dont it. I sat on the planter outside a truck stop convience store entrance and played the few songs I know and didn't get booed or ridiculed so that was a good day.

LeakyDuck

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 06:08:38 am »

I too got brave enough to play in the wild (so to speak) yesterday afternoon. My friend and I had gone to Walmart and I finished my shopping first. I was waiting at our agreed meeting place and as Karl says "Wear it all the time" so there I am with some time to kill. I now have Hot Cross Buns and Aunt Rhody memorized so I started playing. I was far enough from the door that I got no notice or comment, but that was fine by me. Just sitting in a public place and playing was as brave as I wanted to get. Maybe someday I will enjoy an audience.

Harp Player

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 06:22:17 am »

Way to go guys.  Keep on playing around people it is a bit scary, but most people welcome a little music that is not canned even when it it not perfect.  I used to take my harps with me back when I was doing a lot of motorcycle riding, and camping.  I loved to sit in a campground and play, even around a bunch of rowdy bikers.   

I played a couple of songs on MO at church tonight (we had a Saturday evening setup and practice) for a few people that were still there after it was over.  As soon as I get a chance to practice a bit with the piano player I am going to play during the invitation time.  The main thing is I want to make sure that I can play it in  correct pitch with another instrument.  I know that they are tuned A=440 but I also know that breath pressure has a lot to do with getting the right pitch.  Anyway, I loved the way the MO sounded in that large room with lots of echo.

I am still working on lesson 8,  I am not it a hurry on the lessons.  I am just wanting to make sure I learning them well.   I have noticed that when I know a tune I can do much better on it than trying to actually read the music and play a tune I am not that familiar with.   I guess that just comes how it is when you have been playing by ear for years.

Harp Player

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 05:40:05 pm »

I tried a practice run on 'Just as I am' with keyboard player today before church,  I was a bit sharp compared to the keyboard. I guess I need to find that guitar tuner and do some woodsheading with it before trying again.  I played a second time with her using less breath pressure and it sounded much better so I know that is where my problem is.   I had to learn how to play the harmonica in tune with others as well so this is nothing new to me.

cerescop

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 03:13:08 am »

great keep going. I tried "Onward Christian Soldiers" on mine. It was within range but I wasn't up to it then.  I was at a chapel in Texas off the I20 freeway in Sweetwater. It sounded OK but it needed work and I didn't have the time. It was just a stop over for a bite to eat. The minister was a great buy and encouraged me. Its going to take a while before I become a "Free Range "  ocarina player. I sat outside of the hotel I was at waiting for back surgery and was playing Scarborough fare, one of my favorite Simon and Garfunkel songs. It's in the Duet section of the Learning to play ocarina book. Some of the other truck drivers there commented it didnt sound half bad. High praise from that lot. One said he played tin whistle and asked to try the C. I handed it over and he tried using the half hole technique. It didnt seem to work quite the way he expected. I showed him a few half tone combinations and he did better. Many people are into music but not playing in public. When they see someone playing it seems an instinctual response to go towards the sound and listen. It doesnt matter if there are little miscues or missed notes they like it anyway.

Harp Player

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 04:42:13 am »

I see I haven't posted in a while.  I am taking it slow and not trying to rush the material.   I am currently on lesson 10 and learning an old favorite on my MO. "Amazing Grace". 

I am still having fun with it, and making music is a great stress reliever after a hard day work.  A few minutes of playing and all the problems just melt away.  I think the world would be a much better place of more people took the time to learn to make their own music.

fishingcat
Active Newbie

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 05:44:01 am »

I think the world would be a much better place if more people took the time to learn to make their own music.

I often think the same thing!

~ Gwen

cerescop

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2011, 10:07:09 pm »

I red you feel like posting something, great. There are many programs, some free, that can be used to do the deed. a simple computer headset mic will work. Though they are not the best.
The mixer you mentioned is very good but not critical. You can just use movie maker and a headset mic and do just fine. no mixing or expensive equipment. You might want to look into a beeter mic later but that will get you started. check out the "recording studio" area of the forum for what has worked for others. Ubizmo is the leasing poster for this forum. He has a wide range of music already posted on you tube and other sites. Audio Commander is a good audio editor if you need one and its free.

Harp Player

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 08:20:28 pm »

I have a Sure SM58, that I have owned for a few years.  It is not a studio quality mic, but still a pretty good vocal mic.  I also have a ART tube pre-amp that I use with my harmonicas to warm them up some so I have most of what I need already. I am thinking a cheap boom stand and I am good to go.  I have used some of the programs you mentioned a few times, but It would be good to take another look at them because I haven't done any recording in a few years so I know that they have changed a bit.  My favorite one for just making a quick recording was the Nero sound recorder, but I don't have a version that will work on Windows 7.

I have about got Amazing grace down from Lesson 10 so I am about ready to move to lesson 11.  I just need to be a bit more consistent about practicing on weekends.

Harp Player

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2011, 04:09:16 pm »

Well I talked my wife into the Warmstone C that I have been looking at for a while.  I am currently working on lesson 11 and still loving my MO.  I it is even better now that I am getting to the point of being able to play more songs on my MO.  I am looking forward to getting my new warmstone model.

cerescop

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 07:53:50 pm »

I bot a blue snowflake mic that has a built in preamp and plug into a usb  outlet on my laptop. It seems to pickup way to much extraneous noise. It even picks up electrical noise from the fan in my computer.  Whatever you decide I think will be fine. Enjoy the new oc I was looking at one but the environment in my truck is more conducive to the poly oc. It gets rough in there. I even managed to scratch it.

Harp Player

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 05:06:10 pm »

Well I got my Warmstone C today.  I love the extra weight and the polished finish that is has. I also love the fact that is don't have the recessed thumb holes the recessed holes on the Polly models were making me have to squeeze some to get  a tight seal there and after about 30 minutes would start hurting my thumbs.  The warmstone don't cause me that problem (so far)  I also like the case that came with it.

As of the progress I am working on lesson 11 now and learning to play "As the Deer" in the key of D.  I don't know how much further I will go in the lesson book now that I can play the full range on the MO.  I have 4 song books full of music Play at church That I will be working on.  I did order the Favorite carols in Easy Keys book because I want to learn to play the G as a non transposing instrument so I will have more options when I start playing them at church.  I doubt that they will ever replace my harmonicas at church, but I do think that they will sound great on several of the songs that we use.  One of the songs has a Celtic feel to it, and it works great on the harmonica, but I think it will sound even better on the MO.

Harp Player

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 07:19:39 pm »

I made my first Video recording.   It is just a quickie with Windows Movie maker live and a cheap set of Logitech headphones.  You can view it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riaZPyzycSw

I  still have a lot to learn and it's not perfect, but I wanted to share with the group.

Note; I removed the video from youtube because i just wasn't happy with the sound quality.  My cheapo headset just don't give me the quality i want.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:19:59 am by Harp Player » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: