Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 09:52:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: A Harmonica players beginnings with the MO  (Read 42174 times)
Harp Player

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2012, 05:04:39 pm »

You be careful on those snow covered icy roads it is no fun when when things start slipping and sliding  even with just 4 wheels.  I am sure  it is even more scary when it is 18 wheels.

cerescop

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2012, 11:20:32 pm »

Actually, with all those courses of skid pan driving its really no big deal. I love getting out and sliding around. But, I do it mostly when no one is watching. Remember kids don't try this at home admonishment. I don't want others trying what I was trained to do. The translation from 4 wheels to 18 does add some level of interest that wasn't thrilling me like it does now. But you have to remember that the truck also has a hinge in the middle. That is where i gets real tricky some times. I don't want to jack knife the cab off the truck. That would be real hard to explain.

Harp Player

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2012, 12:11:03 am »

It's been a while since I posted anything.  Just thought I would make a quick update.  A couple of weeks ago I  had a pretty bad cut to my left thumb.  It has been quite sore so I didn't even try to play an ocarina till last night when I say my poor neglected Polly C sitting on my desk and just had to give it a try.   I manage to play a few old favorites for about 5 minutes before my thumb made me put it down.   I think I might have been able to play the warmstone a bit longer because it is more comfortable to my thumbs.   Maybe in a few more days I will be back to playing again. 

cerescop

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2012, 05:22:56 am »

Well  don't open the cut again. That would get red stuff in the thumb hole. Get well and then try again. Good to hear from you again.

Harp Player

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2012, 05:35:00 am »

The thumb is still not quiet well (after 3 weeks) and still has some red stuff at times, so I am still holding off.   I did manage to play my harmonicas last Sunday but it was somewhat painful at times.  I had to modify my grip a bit and that is never easy when you have been doing it that way for several years.

cerescop

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2012, 02:12:24 am »

I had a bad cut on my thumb also. It bled badly. I was out of bandaids so I just used a piece of cellophane tape as a band aid to seal the wound. i left it on about 3 days. When I took it off it bled some more. I put fresh tape on and left it 3 more days. When I took it off it did not bleed any more. It hurt badly but had knitted together well enough to stop bleeding. It took about 3 weeks to heal well after that. I used olive leaf extract as an anti biotic to stave off infection. I swallowed the extract. You can get it at Wal Mart in the vitamin aisle, usually on the bottom of the shelves.

Harp Player

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2012, 03:44:27 am »

I have been putting antibiotic ointment  on it every time I change the bandage, and so far no sign of infection. I am getting frustrated because it has been 4 weeks now and still not completely healed.  The place where it was cut is healed but where it burst from the swelling is the problem (sorry if that was too graphic).    Anyway I am trying to be wait on it to finish healing but I am tired of having to limit my what I do.

Harp Player

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2012, 04:07:57 am »

I got the bulge off of my thumb this week thanks to a good sharp knife and the fact that it was numb. Huh 

Anyway the thumb is healed up now and I have been getting a little play time it the past couple of days.  I hope to get started back with the lesson book again soon.  It has felt good being able to play my other instrument again.

Harp Player

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2012, 12:12:01 am »

I am back to playing some everyday now, I have even been spending a little time with the Polly G .   It took over a week to get back to feeling fairly confident with that pesky C/Bb on the C again.  I have started to play a few songs out of my Hymn books again to start getting my sight reading back up to speed.  I still need to find and get back to the lesson book again I still have a few more lessons I need to do, to improve my sight reading skills.  I also need to add a few more of the sharps and flats to my playing so I can play in more keys.   I guess that is all part of the journey.  Either way it has been good to be back  making music like I love to do.

4efs

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2012, 04:36:02 pm »

Yay! Sounds like you're enjoying getting back at it! Smiley

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
cerescop

« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2012, 05:10:55 am »

I am catching up on my corespondence. Good to hear ur healed up again. I know I had a hard time with the thumb sore I had. I didn't get any numb parts, that's good. I have been running my tail off. I turned in 4100 miles just for last week. I spent thanks giving in a truck stop in Amarillo, Texas.  If ur ever in a Denny's restaurant and want to try their thanks giving dinner, don't. It tastes alright, but it will leave u hungry.  Wouldn't feed a nat.  Good to here ur back at it and the harmonica to, good on yuh!!! Hope the wife is feeling OK. You never updated on her medical issue, but thats fine....

Harp Player

« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2012, 08:26:45 pm »

Hope the wife is feeling OK.

My wife is doing better now.  She hasn't been sick in over 3 months now thanks for asking. 

I have been playing the MO quite a bit more lately. I was even gong to try to play a simple little song at church on my G the other week but, I couldn't get my breath pressure low enough to get it in tune with the band, and I didn't have time to adjust my playing to get in tune, so I am going to have to do a bit of tuner practice on the G before I try that again.

I still prefer the sound of the C and I do most of my playing on them.  I have been getting the polly C out more.  For some reason it seems to be less forgiving on the lower notes than the warmstone.  I wonder if that has anything to do with my large thumbs and the recessed thumb holes?

cerescop

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2012, 12:12:27 am »

It might. I have small hands in general and my thumbs fit into the recessed holes perfectly. I can support the C with my thumbs in the holes and do a neat fade from B to low C  with just my thumbs supporting the instrument. Its neat when I am playing White Christmas. The warm stone with its sharp edges around the thumb hole hurt my thumbs over time.  So I keep going back to the Poly C. The breath control on the low notes is crucial. You need to blow less hard and you will get a low warm note that is very rich. Love my C.  Have you tried "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" .  I have been able to pick out most of it and its a hoot. I was working on it and Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer today in the dock in Auburn, Washington.  Both were real rough but came thru a little better with repetition. Just going by memory. I am going to have to record some of this. Maybe I can if I don't put on the camera...The last time I tried to actually record something at home my grand son came in and smacked me with a pillow half way thru a song. I don't remember what one I was doing at the time.  When I looked up after getting knocked over the camera got everything. Embarassing....erased.

Harp Player

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2012, 08:14:24 pm »

The warm stone with its sharp edges around the thumb hole hurt my thumbs over time.

That is strange. My warmstone C feels as smooth as silk in my hands, the thumb holes are well finished and slightly rounded.  Is it possible that yours has a slight defect in it or maybe a step got overlooked when it was being finished?

Thanks for the tips about "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" and "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer",  I will try to give them a shot.  Any idea what keys you were playing them in?  They should be good songs to practice my ear with the MO.  I started messing with "One small child" a little bit last year  I need to see if I can find that song book again and polish it up some  it sounds real nice on the MO.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2012, 11:15:46 pm »

That's strange - I could not hear you playing in Auburn from Snoqualmie!

I wonder if two makes enough for an ocarina guild? ;-)

It might. I have small hands in general and my thumbs fit into the recessed holes perfectly. I can support the C with my thumbs in the holes and do a neat fade from B to low C  with just my thumbs supporting the instrument. Its neat when I am playing White Christmas. The warm stone with its sharp edges around the thumb hole hurt my thumbs over time.  So I keep going back to the Poly C. The breath control on the low notes is crucial. You need to blow less hard and you will get a low warm note that is very rich. Love my C.  Have you tried "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" .  I have been able to pick out most of it and its a hoot. I was working on it and Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer today in the dock in Auburn, Washington.  Both were real rough but came thru a little better with repetition. Just going by memory. I am going to have to record some of this. Maybe I can if I don't put on the camera...The last time I tried to actually record something at home my grand son came in and smacked me with a pillow half way thru a song. I don't remember what one I was doing at the time.  When I looked up after getting knocked over the camera got everything. Embarassing....erased.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: