Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 11:08:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Harmonica players beginnings with the MO  (Read 42175 times)
Harp Player

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2012, 06:15:38 am »

That's strange - I could not hear you playing in Auburn from Snoqualmie!

I wonder if two makes enough for an ocarina guild? ;-)

It would be hard for cerescop to be in a guild because he is a professional truck driver.  I am sure that he is in most peoples area from time to time.

Pat Anderson

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2012, 01:54:11 pm »

Aha!  Well, I live 3 miles off the intersection of I-90 and SR-18, perhaps we could meet under the bridge for a tune or two some time!  Cerescop - what is home base then?

That's strange - I could not hear you playing in Auburn from Snoqualmie!

I wonder if two makes enough for an ocarina guild? ;-)

It would be hard for cerescop to be in a guild because he is a professional truck driver.  I am sure that he is in most peoples area from time to time.

Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2012, 05:32:06 pm »

Hi Pat,
You are doing GREAT, you sound like you've been playing a lot longer.  Cheesy
I wish I had your boldness to put myself out there- sigh. I am so self-critical that I hear only the bad that I play and not the good.  Roll Eyes  but I'm getting over it. I played my Ocarina and sang at an assisted living place yesterday. my singing partner and I did Christmas carols.
Keep up the good work!

cerescop

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 06:46:55 am »

Yeah Snoqualamie is close but I had to go up north to get a load of Campbell soup. It was light  and slid around alot. I think I was playing Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer in "a" and Rudolf in "g" .

Pat Anderson

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2012, 01:48:00 pm »

Hate it when that happens!  Seriously, if you are coming through and can spare a few minutes, I can usually run up to the weigh station at I-90 / SR-18 for a quick "hello" - it is about 3 miles from where I work.  I do that with a friend who hauls boats from Kent to the East Coast every now and then.  I will PM you my cell.

Yeah Snoqualamie is close but I had to go up north to get a load of Campbell soup. It was light  and slid around alot. I think I was playing Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer in "a" and Rudolf in "g" .

Harp Player

« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2013, 06:48:00 am »

It has been a while since I have posted anything to this thread so i guess it's time for a quick update.

I have been playing 4-5 my MO 4-6 days a week for 3 months or so now and i am definitely making progress in tone and consistency.  I am working some out of a hymnal with a mix of both old and newer tunes in it.  Most of the music fits quite well on the MO but I will sometimes find a song that goes either too low or too high.

I had been sticking to the keys of C,G,D & F, I decided to start branching out to other keys and it has so far been easier than I thought it would be. When I take on a new key I Look up the new sharp or flats in the book an make a few mental notes then go for it.  I usually can manage to play songs that i have heard before pretty quick that way, and i learn something new in the process.

Just the other day I heard the old Celtic Hymn "Be though my vision" on the radio, that strongly featured some sort of flute.  I am thinking it was either a tin whistle or irish flute.  The version music I have of that song is in D and it has a low A in  so I now have a new goal of learning how to hit that note and play a beautiful old tune.

cerescop

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2013, 04:56:59 am »

A can be hit quite easily using the fipple bend technique. There is a video on you tube on how it is done. I just looked it up. It's done by Doc Jazz. . Thats the address I don't know if I did it right. Sounds like your tripping right along keep up the energy. I have been trying to play "You've Got a Friend" by Carol King. It fits in nicely. I have it down but I keep restarting in the middle and never really seem to end it.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:03:08 pm by Cliff » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2013, 03:26:53 am »

Your video don't show, but i will look for it later.

cerescop

« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2013, 03:49:50 am »

Rats, I knew I messed up somewhere. I try again

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:02:44 pm by Cliff » Logged
cerescop

« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2013, 03:51:02 am »

Rats I messed up again    here   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCWbcgtYZ2A

Harp Player

« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »

Thanks for the video.  It don't look as complex as i had thought it would be.  A note about posting a youtube to the forums;

all you put between the tags is the : watch?v=kCWbcgtYZ2A part

Harp Player

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2013, 07:01:03 pm »

It has been way too long since I posted here so I thought I would drop a few notes.

I have been putting in a lot of hours lately so I can't play every day but I do try.   

I am slowly working on a modern church song book playing mostly songs that I am at least slightly familiar with   I am getting much more comfortable with the key of Eb and I am considering picking up another key soon.

I have also noticed that as I learn the new scales it is getting easier for me to play by ear in the different keys.

My tone is getting much better now and I have been working more on vibrato.

I still have a ways to go on getting that pesky B note clearly and reliably  on my C.

I seldom play the G as it still seems a bit shrill to me.

That about sums up where I am right now.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: