Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
June 03, 2020, 02:48:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: A Harmonica players beginnings with the MO  (Read 42919 times)
Harp Player

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:27:04 am »

well I have had my MO for 2 weeks now.  I decided to slow down on progressing on the lessons, I am working on #4 and still working on some of the songs on the other 3 lessons working more on my tone and keeping things more consistent.  I will admit that I am wanting move on so I can get to playing the type of songs I am more used to playing at church.  But I still have my harmonicas of that.  I am having to work hard to break myself from ear playing on the songs and get better at reading the music.  I am hoping that the unfamiliar tunes in the book will help me to do that.

Harp Player

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 05:30:19 am »

I am 3 weeks into my journey now.  I just started lesson 5 yesterday.  This is going much faster than I thought It would. I had planned on at least a week per lesson, and it may get closer to that time frame as the songs get more involved.  I am still working on getting consistent tone and better volume on the low notes.  I am getting better at reading the notes, but still having trouble with getting the rhythm just right.  I got way to dependent on on singing the words to the song while playing to keep me on track while learning and playing the harmonica. Somehow thinking do da de just don't cut it for me.  I m sure that I will adjust in time, the mind is kinda neat that way.

Yaara

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 11:45:08 am »

Harp Player, your posts are so much fun to read.  Keep posting!

Every time I see your subject line I think of Piers Anthony's book Blue Adept... the one where the magician who doesn't yet know he's a magician is riding the unicorn who can play music on her horn, and he's singing, "A harmonica is what you play / I wish I had one here today." 

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
Harp Player

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 04:25:25 pm »

I will have to try to find that book and read it.  I like fantasy books.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I had a couple of days last weekend where I didn't practice and I felt bad about it, but sometimes a break for a day or 2 can be a good thing.

Yaara

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 01:03:40 am »

....The book is Split Infinity, not Blue Adept.  Blue Adept is the sequel.

My obsessive-compulsiveness wouldn't let me leave that uncorrected.   Smiley

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
Harp Player

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 05:23:04 am »

I think I have read some Piers Anthony stuff but it was many years ago.   I just haven't done any serious reading the past 20 years or so.   I used to read 300-500 pages a week before I got married.

kypfer

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 07:07:15 am »

obsessive-compulsiveness
... something those who don't have it worry about. For the rest of us, it's normal  Wink

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Yaara

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 12:38:01 pm »

Harp Player

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 07:23:56 am »

The last 2 or 3 days I have been spending some time with my Polly C MO and I have seen a huge improvement in the sound of the low C note on it.  I am still not there, but it is much better.  I guess that fact that I have played Mary Had a little lamb about 50 times starting on E might have something to do with it.  Nothing like doing something over and over for a few days to get better at it. Now I just need to try to find that B note.  I have also started working on a few simple songs in the key of C  from a Hymn book I have.  They  use some notes that I haven't done on lesson 5 but that is ok, I just needed to try a more familiar type of song.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:37:36 am by Harp Player » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 05:51:25 am »

Well I have had my MO for a month already.  I moved to lesson 6 Thursday after dragging my feet some on lesson 5.  I spent most of the time on Hey Betty Martin.  For some reason it just took me a while to get it right.  Once I got that song down I had no problems with the rest of the unit.  I grew up with the old red back Church of God hymnal so I understand 6/8 time well. Actually 6/8 time is my favorite.   Hot cross buns in F and rain rain were no problem for me.  So I moved on to Long Long ago, I spent about 45 minutes with it from 11:30 PM till after midnight, and I think I have it down pretty good on both the G and the C MO.  That is the first song that I may actually keep playing some after I finish the lessons.  The Low C on the C MO is still a bit raspy sometimes but it is sounding better and getting more consistent every day.

Harp Player

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 05:13:16 am »

Well this past week has been a challenge it getting any practice time in.  Not that I haven't wanted to, it's just been one of those weeks.  I guess the fact that I have been playing team fortress 2 on steam didn't help either Embarrassed  Anyway I went from Friday after work until Thursday ofter work without even picking up a MO. Sad All I can do it try to do better next week and keep on going after all is a journey and not a race  I am just wanting to keep enjoying the trip and not worrying about the destination.

Harp Player

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 05:41:31 am »

I am still working (some) on lesson 6, but I have mostly been working on a song from a hymn book I have the past few days. I found the old familiar "Just as I am" in the key of C and that is what I am working on.  I already talked to the right person at church, and as soon as I am comfortable with it I am going to play it during the invitation. Hopefully with the keyboard as a backup.  Now if i can just get that pesky low C note ( C MO) to sound right ever time.

cerescop

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 03:07:11 am »

Hi I am back from my month on the road. I caught up on your posts. The best way I have found to get the low note to sound good most of the time is to make sure the windway is clean. Any moisture in the windway will really foul up the low note. Also the C must be warmed up a little. I have been playing in my truck, The air conditioning cools down the C and any moisture in my breath will cause a poor sounding low note until my hands warm up the C.  Then there is the always problem of making sure the holes are all properly covered. Do the above and it will sound right. keep at it. You are progressing. Breaks are imevitable. but remember to come back. enjoy the trip lol

Harp Player

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 07:12:37 am »

I had already found what you were saying about the making sure about the windway and the holes being covered.  But the thing about the C needing to be warmed up was one thing that I had not thought about.  I have noticed that it usually takes me a few minutes to get the low note to sound right then it seems to sound good for a while.  I thought it was just me taking a little time to figure it out again.

I am currently working on lesson 7 and lesson 8 ( still trying to get a couple of he songs just right from lesson 7)

I am also working on "just as I am" from one of my hymn books.  I realized what I was doing wrong on one spot that was giving me some trouble when I did my practice session after work Thursday.  I am planning on playing it during the invitation time at church in the next couple of weeks.  The main thing that has been the hold up is that pesky low C note but thanks to your tips I think I can feel safe playing it soon.  I play my harmonicas there every week so playing at church is nothing new, but it will be my first time playing the MO in public so I want to make sure I don't mess it up too bad.

I hope you had a wonderful trip.  I have wanted to do something like that for many years.

cerescop

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 07:40:39 am »

No it was a bad trip. I l\kept having equipment problems. The truck has way to much electronic junk on the engines now. It kept throwing codes and the dashboard lighting up like a christmas tree with lights and warning buzzers. The trailers have a refrigeration unit on the front which is powered by a kubota diesel engine. The engine and the refrigeration pump were both leaking oil. It got all over the catwalk across the back of the truck. The next trailer had a leak in the low pressure side of the refrigeration pump. I had to get it repaired twice enroute to houston from indianapolis. I had to spend so much time on the repairs the load was late. Gave me lots of time to pick out tunes. I took the beginning of "Danny Boy"  from Moonsyne's  tabs and finished it. I had to drop the last two verses down to stay in the range of the instrument but it sounds OK.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: