Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 09:40:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relearning Bad Habits  (Read 7398 times)
LeakyDuck

« on: June 26, 2011, 02:10:29 am »

My musical career began when I was in 6th grade. I played thru high school and then escaped. Fast forward to the 80's. We got into Historical Reenactment. Tried to learn an instrument. Tried flute, penny whistle etc... Had a hard time learning new songs, could only really play songs that I knew the words to. Problem was that I had never learned to keep time in all my years in grade and high school. I would just play along with the guy next to me.

Got my Learning to Play on Wed, and I am up to Unit 2. What I am learning at long last how to count time. It's slow going because I have 50 years of bad habits to relearn.

Harp Player

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:40:40 pm »

I have been waiting on an update to see how things are going for you on learning the MO.

LeakyDuck

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 09:49:30 pm »

Let me say this first, old habits die hard. I'm up to Unit 3 and beginning to feel some progress. It is becoming easier to play by counting time. What I had been doing was singing the words in my mind and playing to that tempo. Well if I wasn't singing at the same tempo as the person I was trying to play with, you can guess the result.

One thing I'm liking is that Cliff and Karl didn't use a lot of songs that everybody already knows. This makes it easier to learn to count tempo.

LeakyDuck

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:11:59 pm »

Still working on Unit 3. The counting is getting easier. Got bored with the practice songs and opened my music book of songs I already know and like. No matter how hard I try I still hear the words in my head and play to them.

My question to ubizmo and all the competent players out there. Do you hear the words in your head? 

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:23:44 pm »

Still working on Unit 3. The counting is getting easier. Got bored with the practice songs and opened my music book of songs I already know and like. No matter how hard I try I still hear the words in my head and play to them.

My question to ubizmo and all the competent players out there. Do you hear the words in your head? 

I don't. For as long as I can remember, I've favored instrumental music, and I pay attention to melody more than words. It's not that I don't like singing, but I just find that my attention is fully engaged by the non-verbal aspects of music.

LeakyDuck

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:33:38 am »

Thanks for answering my question ubizmo. I'm up to unit 9 now. What I'm finding is if I use Cliff's rhythm syllables when I am playing I can keep my mind on counting tempo. I went over to my friends this evening and she could recognize Yankee Doodle and Bingo. Still need some work but at least she could recognize the song.  That is major progress. This weekend she will get her guitar out and we are going to try playing together.

Masoncade
Active Newbie

A frizzle frazzle?

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 04:24:22 am »

I don't sing words all the time in my head, but I definitely try to play as if i was singing the blues.
When I play trombone, I try to sing like a tenor/bass soloist.
And when I sing, I try not to suck (I still do though.)

And I agree, old habits die hard, if at all. When I first got my poly C in early June, I would always support my ocarina with the left pinky on my high notes. After about a week, I realized that if I were to obtain a G in the future, I would be put at a disadvantage. It took a fair amount of effort to change that bad habit, but now it's almost second nature. (in sum, keep on enforcing those good habits, the hard work pays off).

Peace

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:29:53 am by Masoncade » Logged

They call him Mr. Nicejob. Because he ALWAYS does a nice job.
Lyric
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:55:19 pm »

Might it help to change the words (in your mind) into notes instead?

DaveBj
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:25:08 am »

I don't. For as long as I can remember, I've favored instrumental music, and I pay attention to melody more than words. It's not that I don't like singing, but I just find that my attention is fully engaged by the non-verbal aspects of music.

I don't either.  My musical "career" has been split pretty evenly between vocal and instrumental, but when I'm on an instrument, I'm "singing" the melody through the instrument.  Most recently I've been doing "theme and variations" - type solos on my euphonium, and thinking the words messes up my improv skills, what few I have at this point.

DaveBj

LeakyDuck

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 07:23:12 pm »

Might it help to change the words (in your mind) into notes instead?
Are saying to think of the name of the note?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: