Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 11:39:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High Note Help  (Read 3909 times)
ztproductions91288
Active Newbie

« on: July 08, 2011, 07:21:45 pm »

Hey i just got my ocarina and can do the lower notes fine but after i take off the thumb holes for the really high notes it sounds airy and not very appealing. making some songs hideous sounding.

Yaara

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 12:15:25 am »

Hi!

All I can tell you is that if you keep playing, your high notes will sound better with time.  I have no idea how or why that happens, and my high notes are far from perfect -- but they sound a lot better than they did when I got my MO in December 2010.

If you find a trick to make lovely effortless high notes, please share!!!

Yaara

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you're a nice person is like expecting a bull not to charge you because you're a vegetarian.
Llisas

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 06:44:47 am »

If you just got it and have that problem, it might be that you aren't blowing with the right pressure.

Mountain Ocarinas are a Type 2 ocarina, which means that it has a rising breath requirement, so you must blow harder as you go up in the scale. To know what blowing pressure is right for each note, a good way to practice is playing in front of a tuner, but also as Yaara said, if you keep playing for fun, your sound will definitely be better with time.

Also it's important that you tongue properly, that will also help especially with the high notes. I suggest to tongue every note when you're starting to learn. Then when you're quite comfortable with the blowing presurre across the scale, you can start sliding, bending, etc. without having airiness problems. Make sure to watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Iu1NBtLOY

I hope this helps Smiley

cerescop

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »

ZT they are right you have to blow a little harder the higher up the scale you go. If you have the self learning book try the long note exercise in the middle of the book. Pay attention to getting the right note, the way you want it to sound and holding it. This will train you to repeat that pressure for that note to sound good. Its just an exercise that you will train you to keep the pressure up when going up high. You will learn this as you continue to practice and play. Enjoy the journey.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: