Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 30, 2020, 07:44:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obvious 'wind sound' in recordings  (Read 5044 times)
robehickman
Active Newbie

« on: September 10, 2011, 02:40:27 pm »

Hello people, been experimenting a little with recording and there is always a strong 'wind' sound in the audio, like I'm blowing on the mic, which is not obvious while just listening to myself play. I only have a cheep headset mic and the mic in my laptop, the latter gets a lot of fan noise, but still regardless of where the mic is physically located there is still this strong wind sound in the recording.

Recording with Audacity on Linux, levels properly set.

kypfer

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 03:28:33 pm »

If the mic is picking up wind-sound, it's because there's wind-sound to be heard where the microphone is - I think you need to experiment with microphone placement ... left, right, up, down, closer, further ... until you find an area where the sound of the instrument drowns out the sound of the wind.
You could also experiment with levels of top cut in the audio recording. Wind sound is basically white noise, and will have quite a component of high frequency. You may be able to reduce it's effect without unduly impinging on the wanted audio from the instrument.

Good luck  Smiley

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Harp Player

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »

I agree with what kypfer said, I would also add that a piece of foam over the mic will help to cut out the wind noise as well.   I have seen some recordings that were made with a headset mic where they pushed the mic up and away from the  ocarina  that will get it out of the airstream.  It as all about experimenting to get the sound right.

dereks

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:50:20 pm »

An old piece of cloth or possibly an old nylon put in a cross stitching hoop held between the ocarina and the microphone can help too.  The sound will still get to it, but the wind will have a barrier.

Ojamnu
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 07:50:26 pm »

With singers there is something called a pop blocker to block the air burst that comes with a "P" sound.  You can make one yourself.  I made one that works well for singing but I have not tried it for my ocarina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yosZEMm0yw

Here is a video of a guy making one.

rancourt
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »

Pop filters are definitely a good idea for mics, especially condenser mics, but might I also recommend more experimentation with player position and angle with respect to the mic? Moving back a bit, and aiming the ocarina more 'sideways' to the mic's condenser, may help this. (When I record a breathy take of vocals, for example, I often sing 'diagonally,' aiming across the mic to a point on the wall behind it, to reduce direct breath pressure on the mic.)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: