Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 24, 2019, 04:53:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: abc to ocarina tab  (Read 16512 times)
Harp Player

« on: September 29, 2011, 04:27:56 pm »

I have used your converter the 2 times I have downloaded some ABC tunes and it is very nice thanks for your efforts.   

I don't know anything about some converter software so I can't answer that question for you.

I do know that their are several types of Ocarinas out there.   You can find a fingering chart for the Mountain Ocarina here.  I think that the 12 hole  sweet potato and  6 hole pendant styles are also fairly common, but I don't have any information about fingering charts on them.  Perhaps  SLT ocarinas  could give you a fingering chart for those. I know that their are also double and triple chambered  ocarinas out there as well but they are very expensive and aimed at more advanced players, so I don't think that they would need tabs for them.

Thanks for your interest in supporting Ocarina tabs in your software and thanks again for your great web site.

kypfer

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:59:05 pm »

There's an ABC to "Mountain Ocarina tab" converter here http://octabs.appspot.com/abcin/ ... might be adaptable ... Huh

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Cliff

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:40:15 pm »

Hi Jon,

I wrote a pretty simple MO tab generator in python for Google app engine which kypfer pointed you towards. It's a web app and not a command line tool though... I could get you the source, but my guess is that it wouldn't be all that helpful. Also I could provide the images used in our tab generator if you could work with that. I'm not sure what would be needed to adapt our tabs to your application, but I'd be more than glad to help.

Thanks!

--Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
jonbanjo
Active Newbie

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 12:09:34 am »

Thanks for the replies.

I could use the tab generator images (thanks for the offer) and tie that in with our converter to produce something similar to your output fairly easily (that would just require a little bit of parsing/filtering to pick out the musical notes contained in an abc) but I think I'll try for a solution closer to our whistle tab where the music score is produced and the fingerings come below the notes on a score first.

I can (actually I do - the converter will accept musicXML as input and makes use of xml2abc.py, a component of EasyAbc to get this into abc) use python with the converter but in this instance, if I do use the images approach, I suspect it will be easier for to me to have my own routine in php.

jonbanjo
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 12:30:03 pm »

Just to give some indication of what I've trying to do with the tab. Here's an abc:

X: 1
T: Kesh Jig, The
M: 6/8
L: 1/8
R: jig
K: Gmaj
|:G3 GAB| A3 ABd|edd gdd|edB dBA|
GAG GAB|ABA ABd|edd gdd|BAF G3:|
B2B d2d|ege dBA|B2B dBG|ABA AGA|
BAB d^cd|ege dBd|gfg aga| bgg g3:|

I'm aiming to get something like this pdf from it.  The actual holes at the moment are whistle ones that I've ofset into two columns (I've worked out drawing the simple objects but I can't program Postcript yet - it's not like any language I've used before) but I'm trying to set up a possible layout.  I think one change I'd probably make from the fingering images here is to indicate the two (thumb?) holes to the side either above or below the box for the ocarina.  The reasoning is the wider the finger diagrams, the fewer notes fit on a staff. I think that would still be readable? 

jonbanjo
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 01:56:55 pm »

OK.  There are probably a couple of errors, etc. but I've added Mountain Ocarina tab to our abc converter and I'll see how it goes.

Here is the G(G) output for the Kesh Jig I posted before:

http://www.jonbanjo.com/keshjigGC.pdf

Cliff

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 06:17:08 pm »

Jon,

That's really, really nice! I haven't examined it in detail yet... on first glance I see that you're treating the G ocarina as a C instrument (non-transposing). I love having the tabs below the standard notation. The best of both worlds.

--Cliff

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
jonbanjo
Active Newbie

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 06:28:08 pm »

Glady you like the look of it, Cliff.

I've put two options for the G model.

G(G) Is not transposing.
G(C) Is transposing, using music written in C

jonbanjo
Active Newbie

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 09:41:12 am »

(So as an example, using the Kesh Jig as I gave it in (and is usually played in sessions in) G Major:

If you want the "non transposing" (standard notation shown in G) G tab: Select Mountain Ocarina G(G) from the Tablature list and submit the form.

If you want the "transposing" (standard notation shown in C) G tab: Select Down 7 semitones from the Transpose list, select Mountain Ocarina G(C) from the Tablature list and submit the form

)

Cliff

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 07:37:29 pm »

Jon,

That is excellent!

hoodsmom

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:09:21 pm »

I used the tab generator for the first time yesterday and it is awesome.  One hint for newbie users:  if you want tabs for a G-oc played as a transposing instrument, be sure to pick the second "C" key (next to Mountain Ocarina G in the dropdown menu) in the "Tablature" line. 

Also, follow the site's directions for picking svg over png in the Graphic format dropdown menu unless svg yields unexpected results.

Edit:  I made pictorial instructions https://sites.google.com/site/ocarinastuff/finale-notepad-files-1/folkinfoWeb.jpg
Edit: And here are the pictorial instructions for getting the tabs for the G as a NON-TRANSPOSING instrument: https://sites.google.com/site/ocarinastuff/finale-notepad-files-1/GOc_Nontransposing_Mandolin.jpg

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:19:59 pm by hoodsmom » Logged
Diddyx
Active Newbie

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 02:10:32 am »

Hi, um i'm new to this type of composer. In short how do i convert a MO tab song to the abc converter? the MO tab is this: In Christ Alone Part 1
B B ^c e e B ^c e ^f ^g ^f e ^c ^g ^f B e e B ^c e ^f ^g ^f e ^c ^g ^f B e e e ^g b ^c' ^c' ^c' b ^g ^f e e' d' ^c' ^c' b ^g ^f

Part 2
B B ^c e e B ^c e ^f ^g ^f e ^c ^g ^f e e

I read the intro sheet for the ABC converter, just need to understand how to convert MO tabs to ABC converter tabs in the simplest way possible  Wink
Thanks Smiley

PS: is there a way i can submit a MIDI and the program will convert it for me? I currently use Notation player for the Midi to song sheet conversion, if ABC has a feature like that i'll appreciate it  Grin

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:25:08 am by Diddyx » Logged
Harp Player

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 05:17:51 am »

If you are referencing the notation to the song I requested the other day that was in ABC notation.  All you have to do is copy and past it into the tool located at http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/abcconvert.php and it will turn it into sheet music for you.  It also has options for tabs if you need them. 

Traeak

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 03:06:10 am »

Very nice resource.  Probably worthwhile to make this sticky as well.  It doesn't seem like the converter handles transverse japanese/taiwanese tabs though.  I'm not even sure how those could rendered to fit without bumping the spacing.

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 07:42:34 pm »

There's an ABC to "Mountain Ocarina tab" converter here http://octabs.appspot.com/abcin/ ... might be adaptable ... Huh

That is so COOL, Kypfer. Thanks! It works on my MAC too   Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: