Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 11:30:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Let there be Music!  (Read 48928 times)
4efs

« on: October 11, 2011, 10:37:33 pm »

Okay, here it is the begining, just opened the box....

My spat of recorder playing since I placed my order must have helped because the first notes aren't as bad as I anticipated! At the risk of being to hopeful I will now go back and look at the paper that comes with the thing and probably get a "silly you" slap!

I'm so happy! Oh, and the boy is positively green that he doesn't have one! He, he, he!

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
4efs

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:13:46 am »

Okay thought I'd try to document my journey with more than just words because, well, it's really about the music right? so here's my beginning!
http://youtu.be/4T6k2-THjSI

Harp Player

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:51:42 am »

Only one Hour!! you are off to a great start.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »

It feels funny, doesn't it, to have your hands side-by-side after playing the recorder for years? (Or any other tubular woodwind, really)

There are a few notes that will cause you some confusion at first, due to cross-cuing with recorder fingering. Eb and Bb will feel like F and C. If you're like me, it'll take a while to get used to those.

4efs

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »

Thanks guys! It does feel weird! even after only several days of reaquainting myself with my recorder.
 I've not even braved any sharps or flats yet!  Even so,  I really miss even the very limited fluency I have on the recorder. 
well, back to the secret of life..." Practice, practice, practice!"

4efs

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:47:55 am »

Day two.  Oh my, my right thumb does not want to be involved!

And seriously, about those high notes AAARGH! they're awfuL. Am following the curriculum and got a ways today, beginning at the beginning since any previous skills are so old they're virtually dust.  Having a blast (though the laundry and the cleaning and the cooking are suffering!) and little man is doing good. He hasn't had much opportunity since I am hogging my ocarina and he doesn't get his til Christmas.
Thanks to those supporting my efforts I've been listening to y'all a lot and am so inspired,  I want so to be like you guys!   I'd like my thumbs to behave and am going horribly flat if I play softly,  having loads trouble on the high notes, and holding the darn thing, and the low notes, and .. so my effort today is in the middle.
http://youtu.be/VVdTL58fV24  Have a terrific day !

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 11:26:30 pm by 4efs » Logged

Harp Player

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:07:59 am »

If you work on playing the scale a few times every day (including the thumbs) they will eventually get the idea.  I am still having trouble in that department going at moderate tempo, but it is improving.  The main thing is keep having fun and playing when you can.  I can also understand some frustration.  I have been playing he harmonica for 15 years and can join in on most anything that I hear with no problems, so starting over form the beginning with a MPOwas a bit of a shock to my system.   I still struggle sometimes with the lowest note on my C ( I prefer the sound of the C), but it has also got much better the past couple of weeks.    I also managed to get both notes with all the holes covered on my C today so I made a small breakthrough and that always feels good.

It is late so I didn't look at your video, will do that after I get some rest.

4efs

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 06:01:58 am »

Harp Player- Good for you! Hail the low note conquering hero!

I am looking forward to the day when I get to get a C.  But I'm going to have to prove myself a bit first!   

I'll be sure to work on those scales and also do the slow scale like Ubizmo showed(and in the course). I also tried to play with that online tuner he suggested(somewhere on here) .
That was really difficult for me I was all over the place! I'll try that again at a later date!

I tried today to just try doing the fingerings while passengering on a small trip today but am not sure that it did much good! Guess maybe I'll get to see tomorrow!

4efs

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:41:03 pm »

Day 5- Don't worry I'm not likely to keep up this pace. Seems the hokey humor of my last vid did not work for this crowd, ah well, at least it made my kid and his Pa laugh, I looked for duelling banjos but couldn't find it  Wink.

Anyway, while I am appreciating the curriculum, I am impatient to play a "whole" song so I decided since I had printed I Have a Bonnet Trimmed in Blue when I was watching all those ocarina gurus ... Well, here's the initial attempts at that. With any luck after a while of practicing-( like maybe some months) there will be a notable difference...

http://youtu.be/msHaExTj6XE

Harp Player

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 02:38:01 am »

You are doing great.  I wish I made that good a progress. I think it took me 3 days just to get it to sound like something besides a plastic toy.

4efs

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 05:20:22 pm »

Thanks! Harp player.  I so want to really be able to play the thing, I feel pretty ambitious/driven right now I think.

These things are heavenly outside! Gosh, I took mine out in our front yard yesterday and WOW! It Rocks! I'm going to try to record it out there to see if it translates at all. It just sounds amazing when you're there. We get this neato echo thing out there and with the MO it's like all those recordings with reverb- only natural and better. Besides you can play it full volume and not blow out everyones patience!
 I am having so much fun! Thank you Mountain Ocarinas!

4efs

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 03:49:36 am »

Well, still working at it and that is good for me-continued enthusiasm not always being my strong suit!
Been off on a jaunt and visiting family for the last 6 days and hardly got to play at all which was pretty frustrating.   I did get it out and play a bit at a pumpkin patch on a farm or two near Spokane Washington in a really gorgeous area called Green Bluff, that was fun.  I really need to get more than two songs under my belt!

So, as we are driving on our trip there is this place near the highway that has a huge crop of trees. I think they're poplar or something and they are all golden and it's a big farm and the trees are planted in rows but it always looks kinda magical out there and I'm looking out the window and my hubby says "Yeah, I know, you just want to go out there and play your ocarina"  I thought that was swell, because I did want to! Sigh*** well, maybe someday...

A bit of discouraging-ness or encouraging depending on how I look at it. I picked up my recorder last week and out popped I have a bonnet trimmed with blue, not perfect or anything mind, but easy-  I've been working on it so much on the ocarina and it still is all fumbly, jumbly and no ornaments....  but the plain song just sort of fell out of my recorder...   Ah well,  that was a little frustrating but also gave me some hope. We'll see...

Harp Player

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 05:00:53 am »

It is frustrating to be able to play one instrument well and struggle with another. I am going through the same thing. I have been playing the harmonica for about 15 years so it is almost a part of me while I still struggle with my MO at times.  It does get better as you improve on the new instrument.

4efs

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 04:29:57 am »

Thanks for the encouragement Harp Player.  It seems my stubborn-ness may pay off if I just keep at it! Had some good success today!

Let's see day umm... well, I guess I'm about 3 weeks in.  Been having difficulty getting the fingers to cooperate in songs like the spinning wheel and the black nag on the low notes. The spinning wheel its the C when it goes like C-F A, C-F-A etc and The black nag it's the B when it goes F#-D-B, F#- D-B.  I've been picking away at these songs for about 2 weeks and this morning nearly threw my hands up and well, you don't want to know. Instead though, I just kept bashing away at those intervals (I'm not going to tell you how long I bashed but I will tell you it was a significant chunk of time) and then... all of a sudden I actually had real notes! Yahoo! My pinkie fingers are finally figuring out where the holes are!!! Happy dance!
I've also been messing with my computer to see if there is anything I can do to make it sound better when I record but for now will have to make do with the 10$ mic. Been learning quite a bit about my computer though- kind of a neat by product!

Harp Player

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 06:05:10 am »

You just keep on bashing away that is the difference between a musician and someone who talks about being a musician.  It does seem like you are getting stuck where you are at sometimes, but then the breakthrough will happen if you keep working on it.  I have also found that if you will work on a different song for a day or 2 then suddenly the stuff you have been stuck on will suddenly (almost magically) start to sound right when you go back to it.

As for recording that can be almost as much an art as playing the instrument.  I will say that the better the Mic you use the better the potential results will be, but only if you know how to position it and so on.  I still need to take the time to play with my new stand, the SM58 and tube pre-amp I have.   I use the pre-amp with my harmonica all the time but I have never tried it with anything else so it will take a bit playing with it to make it sound right.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: