Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 09:43:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let there be Music!  (Read 48927 times)
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2012, 05:38:23 am »

Heya Treblemaker, thanks!  I'm glad you liked the tune.  Cheesy

I think with the vibrato, perhaps a disciplined practice, probably with the belly method would work best. ( If you're not doing it already) I seem to remember that this is how I learned (but it is WAAAY back there!)

Maybe you can try doing the excercise in the morning, sometime in the afternoon and at night for a few minutes focused on nothing else but the vibrato. I know it can be learned and so do you, so therefore it can be learned by you. Keep at it, you will get it! Have you seen this video?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDbM4kykSGk

It is a bit long but she's got some really good stuff in there! I think you should try to record yourself too, you'll likely be amazed at how good you actually sound. Do this at intervals and hear your progress I find it helps with the discouragement. Also, I'd recommend you take on a specific challenge, I can't even tell you how great setting a goal like learning the celtic tunes has been for me. Most of all relax and enjoy your instrument, a hardwood I'm so jealous!

Heya back, refs,
Thanks SO much for your encouragement, and the video. There really was a lot of good info- and I liked the duet with your birds! I have a tortoise named Zeke, she does not appreciate my ocarina playing  Roll Eyes .
I'm going to nail this vibrato if it kills me. I am learning Karl's version of Cumberland Crew. I started to learn it by ear and then I thought how nice it would be if I had music, so I asked Cliff (he's always so helpful). He sent me a link and I was able to get the music- it was transcribed by Laurent Burgbacher. If you're interested let me know and I'll give it to you.
I love my new Hardwood C, but I'm not as good yet as I am on my Warmstone G (good is a relative term  Grin ). I will take your advise and do a video (or better yet an audio), however I've never posted before and am going to have to figure out how to do it.
Bye bye for now! 

I'M SO SORRY I HIT THE R INSTEAD OF THE 4 AND MISPELLED YOUR NAME  Cry

4efs

« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2012, 05:50:33 am »

Treblemaker,

Oh yeah Cumberland Crew, cool!  It is good to hear you are keeping at it.
I am missing my ocarinas a bit now though I brought them with me, as I got a sort of last minute chance to visit family, nearer you I think in Ca.  I am so busy when I'm down here I don't much get to do the "regular" things.

I would not have thought that a tortoise wouldn't like ocarina! My folks used to have a little Russian tortoise named Henry he was cool.  He and my Mom's bunny used to hang out together, and when my Mom'd be sitting out in the yard they'd come hang out right next to her her. Very cute.

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2012, 01:39:53 am »

Treblemaker,

Oh yeah Cumberland Crew, cool!  It is good to hear you are keeping at it.
I am missing my ocarinas a bit now though I brought them with me, as I got a sort of last minute chance to visit family, nearer you I think in Ca.  I am so busy when I'm down here I don't much get to do the "regular" things.

I would not have thought that a tortoise wouldn't like ocarina! My folks used to have a little Russian tortoise named Henry he was cool.  He and mFy Mom's bunny used to hang out together, and when my Mom'd be sitting out in the yard they'd come hang out right next to her her. Very cute.

Hi 4efs,
Sorry I didn't answer! Guess I lost about a month-and-a-half somewhere. Hope you had a great time with family!
Blessings!
Pamela

4efs

« Reply #123 on: October 11, 2012, 06:20:30 am »

Well, here I am on the Eve of my year Anniversary! I have to say I am still in love with my Mountain Ocarinas.
Right now I am missing them, my son has this weird week out of school in October.... I ask you, you just barely get into a routine and they upset it... Anyway, working on the house and weeks off school and yadda-hooda-wadda ---I feel like I've barely played for weeks, but I sure want to, and that in itself is a very good thing! I still can't wait to spend some serious time bonding with my MOs. 
There was a really good thing that happened the other day, I had been trying to find a nice mellow reverb so I could maybe sound more like the folks I like to listen to, and I recorded a tune and stuck it on my Ipod so I could listen to it and see if it sounded nice. Then I got busy and forgot about it. Well, I had all my ocarina recordings on shuffle and was listening away while I was painting the house and I heard this recording, and I thought- who is that? I don't remember having a recording of anyone playing that song?... And it was ME!! ROFL! What a suprise!
 I didn't even recognize it as my playing. So, I feel I have made some really good progress. And definietly have upped my happiness and satisfaction with life quotient.   So happy anniversary to me!

Here's a link to that if you'd like to hear that recording.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54309846/Bruach%20na%20Carraige%20Baine.mp3

I wish that it would rain already so I could ignore the painting and the yard for a while...and play more...sigh...
 Well, soon enough I guess, we do want to finished painting the house before the rains!

Another really cool thing is that in January Tingstad and Rumbel are coming to our little Burg! and we are getting tickets! Yay! Really excited about that!
So, there's a lot of rambling from me. One very happy yearling MO player.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2012, 11:28:36 am »

That's a beautiful recording!

You're really going to enjoy Tingstad and Rumbel. Nancy will inspire you to play more. At least, she had that effect on me. My 4 year MO anniversary was just a few weeks ago, I think. I don't know the exact date, but I think it was late September, 2008.

Ryang

« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2012, 01:53:20 am »

Happy anniversary!  Nice job on the song too!  I'm sure you'll get the time soon to get in some more play time.  Keep playing that beautiful music Smiley

Ryan

Solus Christus! Soli Deo Gloria!
Treblemaker

Student of the Ocarina

« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2012, 02:30:43 am »

I was painting the house and I heard this recording, and I thought- who is that? I don't remember having a recording of anyone playing that song?... And it was ME!! ROFL! What a suprise!
 I didn't even recognize it as my playing. So, I feel I have made some really good progress. And definietly have upped my happiness and satisfaction with life quotient.   So happy anniversary to me!

Here's a link to that if you'd like to hear that recording.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54309846/Bruach%20na%20Carraige%20Baine.mp3

Another really cool thing is that in January Tingstad and Rumbel are coming to our little Burg! and we are getting tickets! Yay! Really excited about that!
So, there's a lot of rambling from me. One very happy yearling MO player.

WOW, 4efs- that was wonderful- I added it to my Ocarina Song file so I can listen to it over and over. It was great- you have fabulous vibrato. I've been playing 9 months now and my vibrato is still sketchy. Maybe someday I'll get up enough nerve to post a song, but not for a while.  Roll Eyes

I'm grateful for your mention of Tingstad and Rumbel- I found them on U-tube and am listening to them right now.
Happy First Anniversary!!!

4efs

« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2012, 04:47:55 am »

Smiley ( It's so great to have this forum! )

Thank you Ubizmo! and happy 4th anniversary to You Cheesy    Wow, I can't even imagine being more inspired...? I can hardly wait!!!!

Thank you Ryan!

Thanks to you too Treblemaker!  Sounds like you're not going to let that vibrato whoop ya! Look forward to hearing you someday.

4efs

« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2013, 07:44:02 pm »

Well, last night was Tingstad and Rumbel and David Lanz! It was a really nice concert!
We arrived early and I immediately headed over to the tables to shop, guess who was there? Yep, Nancy Rumbel! They had these cute little pendants for sale with some tab sheets to go with them.  So, I got to visit a little with her and bring home a surprise for my son! It made a nice night even better! Cool  And yes I am inspired Grin

I am looking forward to the new MO coming out, but I still want to get so much better on the ones I already have. There just aren't enough hours in the day! So, I should be doing something other than typing at the computer!  Therefore, away I go!

4efs

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2013, 12:00:11 am »

I am finding that having a clear if slightly overwhelming goal last year helped me very much to maintain regular practice.  At the moment I am wishing there were more Mountain Ocarina specific songbooks. Goal setting is not something that I am very good at, so right now I feel I am sort of floundering in my practice. I feel sort of all over the place.
On the other hand I have noticed that I have made some real progress on a few things that I have been "pecking" at for a long time, so I guess... well progress is still progress. Maybe it is that I am not seeing the more dynamic progress that I had become used to as an absolute beginner. And since I usually don't tend to keep at stuff for all that long, I am actually in new and unfamiliar personal territory?... 

I am very excited about the new ocarina. I find myself wondering what the notes that are high now on our MOs are going to be like when they are in the middle of the instruments range. I hope that they play like the mid notes on the MOs do now. It is one frustration that I am still unable to consistently play them with the subtlety that I would like. I am, even with my aging soprano voice accustomed to being able to finely control very high notes and I keep wanting to be able to do the same with my MOs. 

Aha! Even if this meandering/musing post is not helpful to anyone else, I think I just came back to a goal I had sort of set before and lost track of!  I had  forgotten I have the mezzetti tutor and I think I will start again to work my way through that. Oh yay! Now that is progress! Grin

Harp Player

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2013, 03:51:04 am »

Hmm a goal for you... how about buying another song book of some sort in the style you like and start working on it?

4efs

« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2013, 04:05:17 pm »

Thanks Harp Player, that is a good idea.  I just need to find one in a genre that I really appreciate on the MO. I often find myself in a strange place as a budding ocarinist, a lot of my very favorite songs(songs to sing) are very far from my favorite to play on my MO. Very new territory... Interesting and fun but sometimes a wee bit overwhelming and frustrating as to possibilities! LOL!  Shocked

Harp Player

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2013, 05:47:14 am »

The reason I suggested that is because that is what I have been doing lately.  I have several Hymn books and I have been learning a few of those songs. I am looking for songs that I am interested in that will push me a little. My latest project is a Christmas song called 'one small child'  The reason I chose it is because it has  nice melody that sounds great on the MO,  and it has a few places where their are drops from G to C which is forcing me to master the breath control on that note (something that I have struggled with for a while).

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: