Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 03:25:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarduina - Electronic MIDI ocarina (work in progress)  (Read 32667 times)
Nephiel

« on: October 21, 2011, 08:02:34 am »

Here's something I've been working on for a while.

What do you think?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:01:16 pm by Nephiel » Logged
Cliff

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:53:45 pm »

Nephiel,

That's really cool! I only heard of the arduino http://www.arduino.cc/ earlier this year from a co-worker.

For anyone curious about arduino:

Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.

Arduino can sense the environment by receiving input from a variety of sensors and can affect its surroundings by controlling lights, motors, and other actuators. The microcontroller on the board is programmed using the Arduino programming language (based on Wiring) and the Arduino development environment (based on Processing). Arduino projects can be stand-alone or they can communicate with software running on a computer (e.g. Flash, Processing, MaxMSP).

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
Ben

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:06:29 pm »

I would love one of these with a wind controller. Any chance you'll be adding a wind controlled? A MO EWI!

Nephiel

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:36:21 am »

This year we have this new subject named "Embedded Systems" on our computer science degree, and we use arduinos as a learning platform. I'm having lots of fun.

One of the things I like the most about it is the vast amount of code examples and projects available online. There's this one called eChanter, a bagpipe practice chanter. It uses touch sensors on the toneholes. I thought I'd try and make one to see if those sensors would work on the ocarduina:

Considering how well it works, and how much commercial chanters cost, I'm surprised the eChanter is so little known. It wouldn't be too hard to add MIDI to it.

I would love one of these with a wind controller. Any chance you'll be adding a wind controlled? A MO EWI!
Definitely, I'm working on it, and the first tests are very promising.

But here I am, dreaming about building an electronic version of Karl's product, and I haven't even asked for permission, shame on me. My intention is to build the ocarduina for myself, document the process of replicating the MO's features, and present that as my degree project. After that, I'd like to publish it as open source, so anyone can build one.

Would that be OK? I don't want to step on any toes.

Cliff

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »

Go for it. I don't think there are any "stepping on mo's toes" here Smiley

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
LeakyDuck

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:46:47 am »

Love it!! Solves the problem of practicing quietly. Just add headphones.

Nephiel

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 09:20:18 pm »

Good news! The project is moving along quite well Grin
Breath sensor is working, and it turns out that thumbtacks make very good capacitive touch sensors Roll Eyes

Here's a demo video of the features that are working so far (no real music here - just scales and stuff):

Now, a couple of test songs. Cumberland Crew:

Tam Lin:

I have a lot more planned, but exams are coming up, so free time tends to zero...
This is really hard to put down, though Tongue

Cliff

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 12:25:20 am »

That is *really* cool and impressive  Shocked

Ben

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 03:31:42 am »

Wow!

JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 07:33:09 pm »

Freakin' awesome!

Don't enclose it, the breadboard-covered-with-wires look really works.

robehickman
Active Newbie

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 10:08:37 pm »

Awesome, how did you go about using the thumb tacks as capacitive sensors?

Freakin' awesome!

+1

Nephiel

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 12:30:10 am »

Awesome, how did you go about using the thumb tacks as capacitive sensors?
At first I used short pieces of bare wire, but to make slides work I needed something with more surface area. Thumbtacks just happened to fit on the board and seemed to work well, so I went with that.

I kinda like it too... but it's too fragile, and not very comfortable to play.

I'll probably put it in a box along with a battery next. I want it to be portable enough to take it with me while commuting Grin

Nephiel

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 06:40:22 pm »

Battery power and enclosure are done! Looks really ugly, but now I can play on the subway.

The whole thing weighs about the same as my warmstone G and is only slightly larger.

The box is a pen case like this one. I had to find a replacement for the thumbtacks because they were tarnishing. These wire loops are rust-proof, seem to work well for slides, and feel more like holes.

Now it needs 2 or 3 buttons to control transposition, instruments, settings, etc... and more work on the code.

4efs

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 06:49:13 pm »

WOW! That's fantastic! So very, very cool! Thanks so much for sharing, you've brought it such a long way from the first post, neat-o!  Cheesy (Oh yeah, you play wonderfully too!) Wink

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Cliff

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 12:56:19 am »

Wow!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: