Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 15, 2019, 02:45:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocarduina - Electronic MIDI ocarina (work in progress)  (Read 32626 times)
kypfer

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 07:58:19 am »

Looks really ugly,
... not at all - functional is the term that springs to my mind  Cool
The really impressive potential for this project is the concept of having an instrument in any key you wish, and presumably sounding like anything from a tuba to a harpsichord, in one pocketable appliance. To use the current vernacular - freakin' awesome  Shocked

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 12:36:51 am »

...plus the potential of plugging in either a pair of headphones (silent) or a humongous amp (loudest wind instrument in existence).

Ojamnu
Active Newbie

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 02:59:27 am »

In an age of garageband, audacity, protools etc this has a good chance of being a marketable idea.  People are already playing fake ocarinas on their iPhones.  I'm assuming that there is a differential pressure detector that could measure velocity.  Has all the hallmarks of being an excellent midi controller for woodwind players of all kinds (not just the ocarina)

Nephiel

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 10:12:29 pm »

I'm having a blast with this thing. I need to work on the code, but once I pick it up I tend to spend all my spare time playing instead Roll Eyes
I've been playing along MP3s with earphones on, on the subway and on breaks between classes. Also on my bedroom at 2AM while family and neighbours were sleeping Grin

Some more cellphone videos...
Costa da Morte from Luar na Lubre:

Warriors from the Lord of the Dance musical:

I also played the poly G on the station today while waiting for the train, and got asked about MOs, wrote down the site URL and everything Wink

4efs

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 05:50:04 am »

This is just wonderful! So fun, thank you for sharing. Smiley

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Jaded The Dragon
Active Newbie

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 02:27:11 pm »

Please if produced Bless us with the ability to buy first! Man thats the second best instrument around Wink

"Nothingness Reveals Everything, Lose Everything Without And Gain Everything Within." - Jaded The Dragon -
Cabe
Active Newbie

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 01:44:29 am »

Nephiel,

Well thats thrown my evening into a tangent, I love the internet for this sort of thing!

I was originally looking at alternative touch sensors for a colour mixer attached to christmas tree lights (long story, it involves blinky lights Smiley ). I ended up on one of your youtube videos and saw the thumbtack slid motion demonstrated and searched for more info (they are plugged into a ardu pro mini, with 8 inputs, but it only has 6 analog inputs I say to myself. I MUST KNOW MORE!)

Which lead me to this site, and now I have a deep desire for an ocarina as well.

Back to my original query, how are the thumb tacks connected? Are you using some kind of matrix or some kind of driver like the Sparkfun touch sensor BOB? I understand this is a finals project so please forgive me for asking if you cant give away too many secrets just yet.

Many Thanks,
   Gregg.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:11:55 am by Cabe » Logged
Nephiel

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 07:05:18 pm »

In fact I'm using only 1 analog input, for the breath sensor. The 10 finger sensors use digital inputs, one each. Also, the Arduino is a Nano 3.0, not a pro mini, but I'll probably upgrade it in the future to another board. The Arduino has a library for touch sensors, but the response was a bit slow for this, so I went with a simpler, lower level approach like the eChanter. I hope that helps.

I'm glad this brought you here. Ocarinas are are really cool instruments Smiley

Cabe
Active Newbie

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 12:23:50 am »

That helps hugely thank you. I am surprised by the responsiveness given the digital inputs.

I had to read up on the echanter, also a very cool project. Once again thank you for your time.

Spatolo

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 07:10:49 pm »

Wow, I am totally impressed. Do you think you'll ever open source it? I would just LOVE to build one, starting from projects.

Nephiel

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 08:15:38 pm »

Hello again, sorry about the lack of updates. There's been lots of work, exams, and on top of that I will be moving very soon Tongue

The good news is, my project proposal has been officially accepted by the university Grin

I mustn't neglect the rest of the subjects in my degree - in fact, I need to pass all of them first in order to be able to present a final project. I'm finishing my 3rd year (of a 4-year plan) and it's going well so far, but it takes a lot of time and effort.

I do plan on releasing all details and documentation as open source, but that will have to wait until I present the project and pass that subject. If everything goes as planned, that should be a year from now. I will be posting some videos of the progress in the meantime, though.

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 08:58:30 pm »

I was thinking that a rocker switch for the left thumb could give the possibility of going up and down an octave, for a 3-octave range...

Ben

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 03:58:44 am »

How's the Ocardunia coming? I'm eager to see the plans!

Nephiel

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:28 pm »

I expect to have everything ready before Christmas. Stay tuned Wink

Harp Player

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:12 am »

I was wondering if you were still working on that project.  I had not seen anything on here about it in a very long time.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: