Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 05:07:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reading actual Notes versus Transposing? Help!  (Read 10201 times)
Scott Maness

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 06:07:33 am »

I may pick up the mountain dulcimer one day just to add to the obscurity level of my instrument collection.

I have a friend that used to make mountain dulcimers when he was younger.  Beautiful instruments,  but I prefer more frets or none at all.   Smiley

4efs

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 04:05:30 pm »

So, you'd rather be fret-less, or... fretful?  Hmmm.... Grin

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Scott Maness

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 12:17:50 am »

So, you'd rather be fret-less, or... fretful?

Maybe, I should be more fret-less.   Smiley

4efs

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 04:54:06 am »

Maybe, I should be more fret-less.   Smiley

Me too! .. Oh, I am!  No frets on the MO! And I did away with my guitar years ago.
Fretless and fancy free.

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Harp Player

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 05:51:16 am »

I do love the sound of a mountain dulcimer.  Too bad they are not very popular except for Appalachian music.

Scott Maness

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 06:54:00 am »

I do love the sound of a mountain dulcimer.

They would probably sound real good behind your Ocarina in a recording.   Smiley

ASmile
Active Newbie

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 07:11:06 am »

Well, we bought my dad a G and C MO for Christmas and he has similar questions on transposing music. My husband, (smaness for those of you newer to the forum) explained Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La,  Ti, Do, to him.  My dad seemed to understand it.  That made me think that if I can just break the scale down that simply then I might not have as hard of a time learning the different keys. I don't know I still want to be lazy though. :-)

Frodo
Active Newbie

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 03:48:30 am »

Have you tried using number scales? Instead of having all of these letters to remember (even if you have mnemonic devices to help) you could just assign each note a number so that you have a single set of numbers to remember instead (I.e. c=1, d=2, e=3, etcetera). This method works pretty well for me.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: