Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
November 27, 2020, 11:42:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Listen to good musical performances  (Read 5088 times)
Cliff

« on: December 05, 2008, 05:58:23 pm »

You eventually play the music that lives inside of you. So an important step in improving your playing is to spend *lots* of time listening to music you would like to emulate.

Please note: our goal in making these videos is to help you to enjoy your ocarina and to grow as a musician. Unfortunately, the production quality is rather poor. Please feel free to post questions and to offer any feedback or suggestions that might increase the helpfulness of future videos. With your input, and as time and resources permit, we hope to get better and better.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:13:17 pm by cliff » Logged

Hard to find time for music?  Have you got 5 minutes?Join The 5-Minute Musician's Club™
shan

экии!

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:18:43 pm »

Very true, all of it.  Acquiring and growing a "musical sense" is very much like learning a language in many respects (except, fortunately, that the ability for musical acquisition does not fall off after the pre-teen/teenage years the way it does for language acquisition).  Immersion and daily practice are both essential to fluency in both language and musical ability.  By immersion, of course, I am referring to Karl's advice to listen to the kind of music one wishes eventually to be able to play.  Active listening is important as well.  Imagine again, the scenario of learning a language.  It is helpful when listening to a foreign language being spoken to put oneself in the conversation by asking, "how would I say that?", or "what's another way of phrasing that question?", etc.  And so it is with active listening to music: "how might I have played that passage?" and "what other notes or rhythmic patterns might have made that a richer musical experience?" are questions one may ask -and answer- while actively listening to music.  Indeed, this is a slowed-down, internalized version of improvisation. 

Spatolo

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:04:24 pm »

So true. Nice video, thanks.
If I should underline a sentence among the others, that would be "it must be in your mind before you can put it on your tone holes".

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: