Go to my shopping cart
Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 21, 2018, 10:00:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's everybody from.  (Read 20880 times)
JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 05:16:12 pm »

After living in central Illinois for about 10 years I've come to the conclusion that whoever quantified Wind Chill did a terrible job. My current theory is that once you get below about 25F if doesn't much matter what the temperature is; it's all about the evil Wind. 10F and calm can feel nicer than 25 with a strong wind...especially when you're walking towards it.

So bakfot, how did that festival arise?

Dan Hazy

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 11:01:24 pm »

Ever since I can remember it's only snowed here in Louisiana once.( where the snow stuck to the ground) and I think thats was last year or the year before last.

Dan Hazy
bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2011, 02:08:20 pm »

I agree with you about the wind, JimOfTheCorn. That's what makes the cold here bearable, the really cold days are usually clear with litte wind.

Lucia is a sort of mixed tradition. It used to be the longest night of the year until the calender was changed from julian to gregorian in 1753, and as such was surrounded with a lot of popular beliefs and traditions, many of them pre-christian. It was also a night when in some places groups of students went from house to house, singing songs and asking for money for their upkeep. The more modern tradition dates back to the previous turn of century. What was kept from older traditions were the candels and the singing. People gather in churches and workplaces early in the morning to have coffe and ginger snaps, and listen to the Lucia choir sing. Sort of a pre-taste of christmas. And since days are really short this time of year (we have about four hours of sun on a clear day, and in northernnmost Sweden the sun don't rise above the horizon) the candel light is apprecated. You can see and hear the national television celebration here for the next month.

JimOfTheCorn

Total music noob

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 06:47:14 pm »

Oh I see, that happened to be the saint's day that coincided with the older celebration?

....And since days are really short this time of year (we have about four hours of sun on a clear day, and in northernnmost Sweden the sun don't rise above the horizon) the candel light is apprecated.

Oof! I remember when I moved from Ohio (towards the west side of a time zone) to Illinois (eastern edge of the next one) that one thing I was glad of was not having to go to work in the dark anymore...I don't mind that it gets dark early, I can listen to H.P. Lovecraft while walking back across the fields to the bus stop, but I hate getting up in the dark.

Jaded The Dragon
Active Newbie

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 02:01:26 am »

Whats going on dudes? , Im originally from the East Tennessee Smoky Mountain area but now reside in northwest Florida between Alabama and the gulf coast.   Just awaiting my poly c present from under the tree.... hehe  Cool

"Nothingness Reveals Everything, Lose Everything Without And Gain Everything Within." - Jaded The Dragon -
KelFox
Active Newbie

not much of a hockey player, eh?

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 12:08:38 am »

Alberta, Canada here.

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis."
bakfot

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 06:49:16 am »

Alberta, Canada here.

"Weather's good there in the fall"  Wink

4efs

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 06:53:39 am »

The Northern Oregon Coast, USA. Temps average 35f-70f, rainfall 90+ inches per year. Really, it only precipitates about 194 days a year (why would an MO be good here?)  and yes, webbed feet are a good idea!  Cry  On the plus side it is very green and relatively uninhabited... I wonder why? Ha, ha!

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Dunetraveller
Active Newbie

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 06:21:31 am »

Las Vegas here!  Cool

Dan Hazy

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 06:34:32 am »

Las Vegas, wow lol. Dunetraveller is in the big city Cool

Dan Hazy
Dunetraveller
Active Newbie

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 06:53:31 am »

Yep. Visit lots! We promise not to tell.  Grin

ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 12:36:46 am »

I've been in Philadelphia for more than 30 years, but I grew up in Cranston, Rhode Island, and I still think of myself as a New Englander and, specifically, a RhoDislander.

People from RI will understand the pronunciation of R'DIsland.

Walnut
Active Newbie

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 08:28:22 am »

Australia here...measured in celsius temperature its alwas in late 20's low 30's...in central and outback Australia it often reaches 40 degrees. Ordered my poly C and G and cant wait to take them to Spain and Ireland with me once they arrive. Hopefully they do not take to long to ship as I leave in 3 and a half weeks...Easter traffic may slow it down.

Walnut

~Quote by CrazyGitar~
I BET IF YOU SAW A WALL THAT HAD BEEN RECENTLY PAINTED AND WAS DRY BUT FOR THIS ONE SMALL BIT THAT WAS STILL WET YOU WOULD BE LIKE ZOMGTHATBITOFWALLISSTILLWETWTFBBQLMAO
bakfot

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 12:05:49 pm »

End of skiing season approaching here, so me and my wife went on a skiing trip in the mountains on saturday. Lovely day, and we saw fresh tracks of both bear and wolverine!

draynham
Active Newbie

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 09:42:07 pm »

Hi everyone,

It's interesting to see what a great variety of people are here, from so many countries.

I was born and raised in California.  Moved to Oregon in 2003 -- love it here.  (Portland area)

I bought my MO poly g a few years back, along with the curriculum and the celtic book.  I did maybe 1/3 of the lessons before something intruded and it fell by the wayside. 

I came back to it again just recently, again working through the curriculum, up to unit 7 now.  I bought the poly C a few weeks ago, and I enjoy it even more than the G, I think.  Both are great.

2011 was a tough year for me, and it ended tough, too, with my mom's death in December.  I resolved to finally learn German so I would not lose touch with that side of the family (she emigrated from Germany in late 60s).

I've been surprised to find how much I enjoy learning German and really, just learning in general.  It's been so long since I was a student of anything. 

And so the time was ripe to come back to the ocarina, and I find that I look forward to my time out each day for practice and playing.  I love that the limiting factor in this endeavor is my skill, not the instrument, and further, as with fitness or learning a language, practicing just a bit each day yields great results.

I have been inspired by many of you here, both by your performances and by the friendly messages of encouragement.

Cheers,

Dave

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: