Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 06:09:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Clubô.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: High Notes  (Read 11980 times)
Dunetraveller
Active Newbie

« on: December 20, 2011, 04:37:56 am »

Hi All Grin,
   First post. Been practicing with my poly G for over a week now. I have a tiny bit of experience with the recorder, enough to know how important breath pressure is as well as getting all the holes covered to prevent squeaks and off notes.

Which brings me to my first rather radical move (for me anyway). I decided that the high notes beyond G just don't work for me. I can hit them just fine, but the breath pressures required to hit the notes "in tune" (per my Korg tuner) make the resulting sound(s) extremely loud, and qualify more as noise than music.

I decided to finally put them to rest and plugged them with the handy covers provided. No more wondering which holes aren't being covered, only to realize that I had a small leak underneath. I'm happy now, and my ears will no longer have to suffer any more abuse beyond the occasional high G. Has anyone else decided that the back holes just needed to plugged forever? Undecided

4efs

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 05:02:54 am »

Ha! I was just thinking today that high E should fall out of my repetoire!

I think wouldn't like the increasing limitations that would put on the music choices.  Your abilities at a week are only just starting, those notes will definitely improve with practice, truly. Mine are still nowhere near where I want them but they really have come a long way and I'm just a week past the 2 month mark. I think it would be fine to plug them for a bit, however, practice is the thing that will make those notes soar, not turning em off, eh? Wink

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Dunetraveller
Active Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 05:32:06 am »

I have used the high A once or twice when it was required for a particular song. If you hit it for no more than an eighth note or so, and head back into less lofty realms it can be okay. I know what you mean about limiting song selection. Guess I'll have to tip toe around that wrinkle for the time being. Maybe I'll relent, but so far I have never had a reason to use the high B, so that may just remain gone, lol.

Scott Maness

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:53:05 am »

I think a lot of people pull out their tuner when they first get their Ocarinas.  I know that I did.  Probably not the most helpful thing in the beginning.  Put the tuner down for a couple of weeks and just have fun with your instrument.  Then when you pick your tuner up again you will be amazed at how good the intonation of your playing has improved. 

Playing along with some music in the room in the same key might help your intonation also.

Again, have fun with it, and keep going forward.   Smiley

Dunetraveller
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:28:39 am »

It did show me something almost straight away. Even though I've been playing for a tad over a week, I never knew about the increasing breath pressure. On top of that, I have spent over two weeks searching the internet for anything and everything oc related and it remained a secret. It immediately became apparent when I ran through the octave in front of the tuner. Then the information was found on the net and seemed everywhere. It seems some information eludes us until we are ready to receive it. Of course, the need for the tuner will not be necessary for a while, so yes, back to the grind stone! :-)

kypfer

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:57:45 am »

the back holes just needed to plugged forever?
... maybe not, but I've been very happy for several months learning and playing tunes of a limited range as found in Jack Campin's "Nine Note Tunebook"  http://www.campin.me.uk/Music/Chalumeau.abc plus a couple of sources of tunes for the Pibgorn that I've mentioned elsewhere but can't find the links for at the moment. Then there's always tunes arranged for the bagpipes which, when transposed from "two sharps" to "one sharp" all fit on an M.O. without a high E in sight. Admittedly, the choice of tunes is limited if you block both thumbholes, but blocking one thumbhole, leaving myself with a high D, gives me a potential repertoire of several hundred tunes, which should keep me occupied for a while yet  Wink

"I'm playing all the right notesóbut not necessarily in the right order."
Dunetraveller
Active Newbie

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:30:42 am »

I was reading how well the highland bagpipe music fits in with ocarina playing. My problem so far is training my brain to see notes and translate them into music in my head. Ear training is what I think it's called. Up until now I've been kinda limited to songs I know by heart or have at least heard in a vid posted online.  Tongue

Scott Maness

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 06:24:35 am »

back to the grind stone!

You will do well!    Keep up the good work.   Smiley

kypfer

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 07:40:49 am »

My problem so far is training my brain to see notes and translate them into music in my head.
... this is one area where the ABC notation is so useful. Many ABC programs will play the tune for you, even create a MIDI, so you can have a "play-along" track Smiley
Transcribing "dots on a stave" into ABC, either for transposition or just to hear what it sounds like, can be a useful adjunct to learning to read music, it certainly helped me.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:39:20 pm by kypfer » Logged

4efs

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 07:44:06 am »

I was reading how well the highland bagpipe music fits in with ocarina playing. My problem so far is training my brain to see notes and translate them into music in my head. Ear training is what I think it's called. Up until now I've been kinda limited to songs I know by heart or have at least heard in a vid posted online.  Tongue

I am somewhat dreading the day when I feel I can move on from the initial celtic tunes that Karl has recorded, for that same reason, my reading is not great. Some are already really tough for me even with the recordings and I'm afraid I won't get the rhythmns by myself. I rely on my ear so much and still botch them pretty badly!  I just keep telling myself- time and practice, time and practice, it will come. One measure at a time and a metronome helps loads!  We can do it! Bash, bash, bash!

4efs

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 08:09:01 am »

Transcribing "dots on a stave" into ABC, either for transposition or just to hear what it sounds like, can be a useful adjunct to learning music, it certainly helped me.

So, kypfer, you have to first transcribe it into ABC? Or is there a program that will do that from sheet music?? ...

kypfer

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 09:02:48 am »

4efs wrote
So, kypfer, you have to first transcribe it into ABC? Or is there a program that will do that from sheet music?? ...
... sorry, you still have to transcribe it manually, AFAIK, but it's good practice if you don't read well, and once you do read well, it only takes a couple of minutes, for the average tune   Cool

4efs

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 06:11:47 pm »

MMM...thanks...this is me Tongue still resisting learning another thing....Sigh...

kypfer

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »

still resisting learning another thing
... don't, life's too short to struggle when there's a proven system that works. Invest a couple of hours now and you'll save yourself weeks of hardship next year ... I'm starting to sound like one of those "get rich/well quick adverts"  Roll Eyes
I didn't play the guitar well for 20+ years simply because I spent too much time learning bad habits initially ... the enthusiasm eventually fizzled down to a murmer. I've tried to stick to tried and tested techniques since taking up woodwind a year or so ago ... it's definitely paying off  Cool

4efs

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 12:46:48 am »

Yeah, okay I need to learn it... ugh. So, okay. But, not til after Christmas!
BTW, kypfer do you have any recordings out there? I've not been able to find them.  I'd love to hear you- and what do you say, maybe one of those custom D MOs?  Smiley

I want more food for my youtube addiction... it's really bad. Embarrassed

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: