Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 11:24:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: High Notes  (Read 11955 times)
Dunetraveller
Active Newbie

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 06:07:20 am »

Yippie!  Grin
   Got my Poly C in the mail today. A bit late to be playing it with wife asleep upstairs, but I went into the garage (brrrr) and played through the scales a few times. I LOVE IT!!! The pitch difference is like night and day. The high D and High E are not a pain to my ears. I didn't think it would be a problem since I hit those same pitches all the time on my poly G without issue, so I won't be covering those tone holes. Just as well, since for whatever reason the package came without the covers, lol.

Mind you, I still love my poly G.

Funny thing is my mind is already easily putting names to the notes. I wasn't sure how long the process would take, but it seems I can keep both instruments straight in my head already, which will make things nice and easy.

One thing I have to say about the new C is the size... it's ginormous! I could wear my poly G under my shirt with only me the wiser, but this guy is gonna stick out. Not sure I'm liking that as I want to have an oc with me wherever I go, whether I am planning to play it or not. I may have to find a suitable belt case for it, cause with it at home it may not see much as much playing time.

Scott Maness

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 06:22:00 am »

You can still wear the G and put the C in your pocket.

I normally carry both around with me.  I find that I play both equally. 

still resisting learning another thing....Sigh...

Hmm.....Work on reading music
..............Learn to transcribe ABC notation
..............Learn Swedish       Grin

4efs,   It's going to be a great year!    Smiley

kypfer

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 07:50:56 am »

kypfer do you have any recordings out there? I've not been able to find them.  I'd love to hear you- and what do you say, maybe one of those custom D MOs?
... I'm working on it, but I have limited time I can play my ocarinas, due to their volume, so most of my practice is on a whistle or recorder (the reason for customising the fingering on my ocarinas).
I also have an issue with the camera making the ocarina play out of tune as soon as it's switched on Wink

"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 08:17:29 am »

I also have an issue with the camera making the ocarina play out of tune as soon as it's switched on Wink

Yeah I know, cameras do that, don't they?? Only thing to do is just ignore them, and go right ahead anyway  Smiley

4efs

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 04:25:24 pm »

I find that cameras, and people all have the same effect they cause me a sort of instant musical amnesia and anything I once knew just goes poof! I am trying to practice with the recorder running sometimes just so I can hear the music outside my head and so it might lose it's novelty, I don't like that crippling feeling much.  Sad

Just as well, since for whatever reason the package came without the covers, lol.

Only the G come with tonehole covers so, it wasn't missing anything Smiley

And Smaness, only a Swedish song!  Well, I'm willing to try more than one, but we don't want to make poor bakfot feel like this is work!  Grin

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Scott Maness

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 02:03:13 am »

all have the same effect they cause me a sort of instant musical amnesia

Then, I am not the only one who suffers from these symptoms.   I tend to go blank on which song to play or the lyrics that go with it.  I need to write a list of songs beforehand so I can jog my memory.

only a Swedish song!  Well, I'm willing to try more than one, but we don't want to make poor bakfot feel like this is work!

We'll learn one song at a time.   Smiley

bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 06:43:58 am »

And Smaness, only a Swedish song!  Well, I'm willing to try more than one, but we don't want to make poor bakfot feel like this is work!  Grin

Don't worry! Or rather, do, I'll make you sweat  Cheesy

Harp Player

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 06:09:04 pm »

I agree that cameras are evil.  They make you fingers into noodles, turn your brain into mush,  and make fine musical instruments sound like a kids toy whistle.  I guess that is why I only have one video made and posted.

Scott Maness

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 12:11:19 am »

I agree that cameras are evil.

Very well posted.  I have several nice instruments that turn into toys as soon as I hit play.  I never realised before that it was the cameras fault.  Smiley  I thought that the problem was on my end.   Smiley

I was told once that there was no such thing as a bad singer, only bad audiences.   Grin

Harp Player

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 05:58:08 am »

I will have to say that their is such a thing as a bad singer  I am married to one.  She could throw even the most well trained professional off key if she were standing beside them singing.  Smiley

Scott Maness

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 10:41:06 pm »

I also have an issue with the camera making the ocarina play out of tune as soon as it's switched on

At least you switched it on!  I some times will finally play it through perfectly only to realize that I did not actually turn on the camera when I pushed the button.   Grin

She could throw even the most well trained professional off key if she were standing beside them singing. 

Thats funny!  Does she read these posts?     Smiley

Harp Player

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 09:08:17 pm »

Thats funny!  Does she read these posts?   

No she don't read these posts, but she knows that she can't sing.  Even had a professional (music and voice professor at a local christian university)try to help her years ago with no luck.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: