Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
March 30, 2020, 11:46:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: The Scandinavian languages thread  (Read 33554 times)
bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« on: December 22, 2011, 08:04:46 am »

"Off topic" seems to be an excellent description for this thread. It will be dedicated to the linguistic enlightenment of those living in the Swedish-deprived areas of the world.

bakfot

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:06:44 am »

Lesson numer one: then christmas song "tre pepparkaksgubbar"

Vi komma, vi komma från Pepparkakeland
och vägen vi vandrat tillsammans hand i hand.
Så bruna, så bruna vi äro alla tre,
korinter till ögon och hattarna på sne’.

Tre gubbar, tre gubbar från Pepparkakeland,
till julen, till julen vi komma hand i hand.
Men tomten och bocken vi lämnat vid vår spis,
de ville inte resa från vår pepparkakegris.

A somewhat pale rendering in english:

We come, we come from gingersnap land
the road we have walked together hand in hand
so brown, so brown we are all three
rasins for eyes and the hats askew

Three fellows, three fellows from gingersnap land
to christmas, to christmas we come hand in hand
but the gnome and the buck we left by our hearth
they didn't want to leave our gingersnap pig

And a pointer towards youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvcpScain1A

I intend to produce a read-along video of the text whenever time and inspiration coincides.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:08:33 am by bakfot » Logged
4efs

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:51:51 pm »

Ah, you beat me to it I was just going to start this!

Great! Tre pepparkaksgubbar, ...seriously? gingersnap- pig?  Why are they on the hearth?

And for Innesrt I Sjelen this is what I'm trying to learn from on my own but- have only made a little progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXtcn7sIAJc&feature=player_detailpage
 So, I was using these words and trying to listen to Sissel because I can hear the words a little more clearly though I listen to you and Ole Paus too. Wink

This is so fun, thanks! 

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 03:46:55 am by 4efs » Logged

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
bakfot

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »

I dont think that  neither "seriously" nor "why" can be applied to that song  Grin
Bedtime in the old world now!

4efs

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51:13 pm »

Okay, Bakfot here is my attempt at Innerst I Sjelen so far. I'm singing along with the Sissel recording so,...
 You might want to have a glass of wine before you deal with this Embarrassed

I'm going to apologize in advance for butchering it, that's why I need help though, after all...

Okay, and if you laugh just please don't do it in my hearing, K?
Okay....Deep breath...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54309846/Learning%20Innerst%20I%20Sjelen.mp3

Scott Maness

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:33:22 am »

Thank you for starting this thread.  Tack så mycket. 

I have studied several languages but never Swedish.  I am looking forward to learning.   Smiley

4efs

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 03:29:41 am »

O.k. Smaness, where did you get the little circle to put over the a in sa?...  and where might I find that thing that belongs in  Jean- Francois' name. Ugh.

Hey, did you get your kids those cute little Hind ocarina kits? Those things are adorable! and they sound good too!

Would you please pass on my greeting to Asmile?...

Yes, one at a time! ....(Gingersnap pigs who'd-a thunk it!?) Grin

bakfot

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:32:16 am »

No wine, a cup of coffee will do since it's morning. OK, listening....

4efs, you have a lovely voice! And, I'm truly suprised at how good your pronunciation is! As english, and especially american english, is spoken using mainly the root of the tounge whereas norwegian and swedish are spoken much more with the tip of the tounge it is unusual to hear an american pronunce a sentence as well as you do. (Btw, I have a canadian friend who has lived in Sweden for twentyfive years, and her pronunciation is much worse than yours!! )

I'll just point out some minor details, if you get them right you'll sound like a native  Wink

It's all about the vowels, those are the really hard ones I think. They shold be even more at the front of your mouth, and are rarely spoken eith a changing sound (like in Oh!) but rather with a constant sound (like in Pooh, Winnie the).

Second line, first verse: a in "blank" sounds more like the short vowel in "punk"
First line, second verse, "Skogene": More Pooh, less Oh! (same thing with "jord" two lines further on)
Third line, second verse: y in "lyd" is a hard one, I can't think of a word in english with quite that sound. It's close to the german ü, if that is any help...
Fourth line: ø is different from o, sounds a bit like the vowels in "third" or "nerd" but a bit sharper, more to the front of the mouth.

OK, class, I think that's enough for today!

bakfot

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 07:43:50 am »

About those funny letters with dots and rings and stuff: if you have a numeric keypad you can get them using the ANSI code which you find e.g. here. Hold down the Alt-key and press 0 plus the ANSI code on the keypad. For example, to get ø you hold down alt and type in 0248 on the numeric keypad. At least, that works on my thing. Don't know how you do it on a Mac, though...

bakfot

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »

Okay, Bakfot here is my attempt at Innerst I Sjelen so far.

I enjoyed myself doing a remix. Quick fix, rather low tech, but it was fun. Hope you don't mind. Here it is:
http://youtu.be/tjWfZS8mZfU

Scott Maness

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »

And for Innesrt I Sjelen this is what I'm trying to learn from on my own but- have only made a little progress.

I was thankful for the Portuguese subtitles on the video which I could follow.

Wow 4efs!  The recording that you did was great, and you have a beautiful voice!

bakfot,  I love the remix.  Every one of the pictures that you post is a painting waiting to happen!

O.k. Smaness, where did you get the little circle to put over the a in sa?

On Linux the easiest thing to do to get Non English characters is to switch the keyboard layout to the language that you are going to use and become accustomed to the layout. 

I have a lot of lot of work ahead of me if I am going to get this.   Smiley 

@Bakfot  How much difference is there between Swedish, Norwegian, Danish and Icelandic?

bakfot

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 09:21:11 pm »

A bit like spanish, portugese and frensh. If you know one you can with a bit of efffort understand much of the others. Though it is easy to misinterpret. "Falshe freunde" you know. Icelandic is different. That language is similar to what was spoken in scandinavia several hundredyears ago. Too different from modern swedish to be understandable for us now.

Scott Maness

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 09:45:25 pm »

What about the different dialects within Swedish?  Wikipedia mentioned 20 different dialects.  Is mainly accent differences or vocabulary differences as well?

4efs

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2011, 04:35:22 am »

I enjoyed myself doing a remix. Quick fix, rather low tech, but it was fun. Hope you don't mind. Here it is:
http://youtu.be/tjWfZS8mZfU

Aaaagh! Aya! Bakfot! Oh man... I just, aw geeez... Embarrassed

Well, thanks guys for the encouragement.  The photos are fantastic as always...and it is cool, I haven't performed a duet in a long time... Although, it's going to take me a bit to get over the embarrassment of having my first draft at Norwegian on youtube... Undecided

Anyway, thanks for the help both of you on the non-english charachters thing.
 And I will keep practicing Innerst I Sjelen with the notes you gave me.

So, are we going to do Tre Pepparkaksgubbar with ocarina too? Is there music for it or by ear?  Do  you guys have webcams? It might be safer, less embarrassing, easier.... to work on pronunciation that way?          

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:53:18 am by 4efs » Logged

bakfot

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 06:19:20 am »

Ah, c'mon 4efs, what's there to be embarrased about?? Let the world hear your lovely voice!  Wink

And of course you need music for the Tre pepparkaksgubbar. Here it is in ABC:

X:1
T:Tre pepparkaksgubbar
K:F
M:3/4
L:1/8
C | D2 CC | D2 CC | F>F EE | F2 z E |
D2 EF  | D2 EF  | G>B GB  | G2 z F |
E2 DC  | E2 DC  | D>C CF  | A2 z c  |
BG AF  | GE FD  | C>A CG  | F2 z2  |

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print