Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 04:51:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Goals for 2012  (Read 16136 times)
Scott Maness

« on: December 30, 2011, 02:14:51 am »

What are your Goals for 2012?  (Not just music related)

You can list several of your goals on this thread or just a few and we can help each other stay accountable to the goals that we choose to endeavour.

I recommend writing down goals for the year in several categories.  Spiritual Goals, Intellectual Goals, Physical Goals, Job related Goals, Financial Goals, Goals for your family, Etc. 

After compiling a list write down the steps necessary to reach each one and check back with your list each month to mark your progress. 

Even if you do not hit every Goal on your list, you will be farther along than if you set no Goals.

Dan Hazy

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 03:09:15 am »

I hope to be able to read music really well by next year. I think thats about it for me. Smiley

Dan Hazy
jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:38:23 pm »

to live each moment in that moment... to simply be.

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
Scott Maness

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 05:15:18 am »

Happy new year!

Let's make it the best one yet!    Smiley

bakfot

Long ago I was a serious young man

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 10:31:15 am »

I'll try to remember to enjoy the beauty of this world.

Happy new year!

Jaded The Dragon
Active Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 05:28:05 pm »

1. Relearn to read Music
2. Learn Spanish
3. Start my own business
4. Play music for no other reason
5. Move to Blue Ridge Mountains
6. Appreciate the Basics through simplicity
7. Hike the Appalachian Trail
8. Grow spiritually and emotionally
9. Live and Love Equilibrium
10. Relax and Enjoy, Dont Worry Be Happy

Good Luck?.... Im gonna need it hahaha

"Nothingness Reveals Everything, Lose Everything Without And Gain Everything Within." - Jaded The Dragon -
4efs

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »

Okay, how's this sound for a goal?
This year, learn to play all the songs in the "300 Celtic Songs for Mountain Ocarinas" book.

To consider a song learned  - let's see... be able to play through 3 times in a row, at tempo -sans mistakes.

Since most of the tunes are short say 30-40 seconds average; after they've all been learned
one should be able to play through the entire book every once and a while for a good 2 hour practice session...!  Undecided

Well, any takers?

Edit--Umm...duh... 3 hour practice session!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:36:20 am by 4efs » Logged

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
jiminos

humming to myself

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 07:50:59 pm »

no taker here.... sounds a tad too ambitious for my tired, old brain.... good luck. looking forward to the concert!

be well,

jim

Be in this moment.
That which is cannot be found. It is not lost.
It can only be accepted or rejected.
Truth is.
ubizmo

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:32:12 am »

I have two books I need to finish. That should keep me out of trouble. Musically, I'd just like to hook up with a musician or two who wouldn't mind playing some low-key gigs, and having a little fun with it.

Scott Maness

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 02:10:08 am »

I have several Goals for this year, which I generally divide into 3 basic categories.

I.  Spiritual Goals

*  Besides my normal Bible reading I am wanting to read through the Bible In Spanish, French and the New Testament in Greek.

*  Rework our Wednesday night Bible study.

*  Rework our evening family Devotional time.

II.  Mental Goals

*  Finish all of the Videos and Exercises at Khan Academy and help my older two kids with the same.  Great learning website!   There are currently about 2700 videos on everything from Chemistry to Calculus,  all for free!   Smiley  www.khanacademy.org 

*  I plan on recording more videos.  Hopefully at least one per week.

*  I would love to learn to play Bach's 6 Cello suites on my Viola.  Ocarina too!

*  I plan on reviewing languages that I have previously studied with a focus on Japanese and Russian.

*  I plan on learning at least 12 songs in Swedish, with help of bakfot.    Smiley   (Slow going so far)   Huh

*  Help my son learn Python programming. 

*  Continue my Reading list.   I was able to read through several classics last year and have a pretty hefty stack ahead of me that I look forward to reading.  http://www.gutenberg.org/  Great website!  Thousands of free books on several subjects.

III.  Physical Goals

*  I will continue to exercise with my family to have better health and energy to serve the Lord better.

*  As a family we practice Karate together and train together.  I would like to help each of my kids to attain their goals at the same time that my wife and I reach ours.  We brought the new year in by doing 1,000 kicks together with others at our Dojo.

*  I would like to work hard to gain more flexibility.

In addition there are several other categories that I will keep in my personal notes.  Such as:  Family goals, Marital goals, Home school goals, Goals for my Church, Financial goals, Etc.

Well, that's a rough sketch of my goals for 2012.   Smiley

Dan Hazy

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 03:21:18 am »

That is a lot, good luck Wink

I actually would like to be able to read the greek version of the Bible. I think there's a christian college here that offers a class on greek language but I'm not a 100 percent sure. Undecided  Anyways that's another one of my goals, to be able to read greek also. Smiley

Dan Hazy
4efs

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 08:25:27 am »

Smaness, I need a cup of chamomile tea to recuperate after reading your goals, wheesh! Shocked

Ubizmo, are you writing a couple books?

Dan, Greek, cool!

Lets see goals...
1. Stay married Wink
2. Be nice to my kid
3. Enjoy my time on the planet
4. Downsize by about 9 chickens...
5. Umm... play my ocarinas...currently 3, two more ordered... Lips sealed....That's it, forget the first 4, I'm playing ocarinas this year! Grin

About the Celtic song idea... I am cheating a little since I started when I got my ocarina on the ones they send with the e-mail lessons, so I'm not starting from 0! As of today I have 54 down, 264 to go! (I just said I am doing that out loud, didn't I?....) Undecided I'm also adding a disclaimer... since I'm really schooling my reading here, they may not be accurate, or good, or well, you know, they're probably going to still be rough but due to the volume, and my beginner status and the fact that I have dependants...I'm gonna feel free to decide what's good enough. For instance the recordings I made are still a little shaky but since I just did all of them on a once through (no editing) I left in some little wobbly bobblys etc.(But, hey I recorded 54 songs without really big mistakes.)  Okay, I'm for sleep. I'll be dreamig in 6/8 I think...

Scott Maness

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 08:18:26 pm »

Anyways that's another one of my goals, to be able to read greek also.

I had studied Greek in Seminary, however, there are a lot of resources available online.  When you search make sure you search for Koine Greek if you are interested in studying the Bible in Greek.  Koine simply means the common Greek spoken in the first century.  Check out these links:   

http://www.blueletterbible.org/ This is a great place to read the bible with lots of Greek helps.   
http://www.greeklatinaudio.com/  Listen to the bible read in Greek, Hebrew and Latin.

This year, learn to play all the songs in the "300 Celtic Songs for Mountain Ocarinas" book.

That sounds great!  Are you planning on posting your hard work on youtube?   Smiley

...That's it, forget the first 4

That makes me laugh.   Grin

7. Hike the Appalachian Trail

That sounds like fun.  My kids and I enjoy hiking together.  My Father in law hikes parts of the Pacific Crest Trail each year.

Jaded,  those sound like great goals.  Are you taking Spanish in a class or learning it on your own?

I'll try to remember to enjoy the beauty of this world.

Bakfot,  your music helps make the place more beautiful.   Smiley

4efs

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 06:43:20 am »

No definitely not on Youtube! can you imagine?, 300 and some odd videos in one year, no! I think what I'll do is mp3s in the record your aud and video section on here. I've already done 62! but am afraid that I have bitten off more that I can chew this is really hard for me! Ah well, anyway "nuthin ventured..."  right?

Jaded,  Live and Love equilibrium sounds like a lifetime goal!!!
and the Appalachian trail sounds great!

Jaded The Dragon
Active Newbie

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »

Hey Smaness, well i took a little spanish 10 years ago in school... but teaching myself and helping my other half(though her spanish goal might be a lower number than mine on the list  Wink haha)  So now its to recapture, learn, and applicate.. Thanks for asking, and martial arts is a great way to better ourselves, others, and most importantly our family, Great goals  yourself Man!

"Nothingness Reveals Everything, Lose Everything Without And Gain Everything Within." - Jaded The Dragon -
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: