Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
August 07, 2020, 12:08:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Curriculum on mp3?  (Read 8360 times)
Vision River

« on: January 04, 2012, 03:00:17 am »

The lessons arrived today and are playing now on the laptop. I would love to be able to stretch out with the book and MOs, and listen with the ability to easily stop and start the lessons (with my first mp3 player, ordered and on the way.)

The CD lessons would be more portable, versatile, and easier to work with as mp3 files. Are they available for downloading?

We gather here our horns to toot
and chat about the chamber flute.
4efs

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 06:06:48 am »

Just load the cds into your computer's mp3 player program( like Itunes) and then load them into your mp3 player, easy peasy Wink

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Vision River

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:30:45 pm »

Just load the cds into your computer's mp3 player program( like Itunes) and then load them into your mp3 player, easy peasy Wink

Well, knowing it is possible helps. Last night I could not open the CD in Windows Explorer, but today was able to open the CD and copy the .CDA files to the Desktop. The mp3 player is due to arrive in a week, I'll find then how to load the files on.

The SanDisk description of the mp3 player says, 'Plays content from nearly every source (MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC)' but doesn't say CDA, so wir werden sehen (we will see).

Thanks!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:57:29 pm by Vision River » Logged

Nephiel

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 05:41:24 pm »

The problem is, the .CDA files that are now on your desktop do not contain the actual sound from the CDs - these files exist only to tell the computer where to find each track on the CD, so without it they are useless. You'll need to use some software (such as CDex or iTunes) to read the audio from the CDs and convert it to .MP3 or .WMA files.

Vision River

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 02:02:08 am »

The problem is, the .CDA files that are now on your desktop do not contain the actual sound from the CDs - these files exist only to tell the computer where to find each track on the CD, so without it they are useless. You'll need to use some software (such as CDex or iTunes) to read the audio from the CDs and convert it to .MP3 or .WMA files.

Installed CDex, and see that it extracts to .WAV and converts .WAV to Compressed Audio File. I don't see where it converts the CD tracks to .MP3 files.

Pointers?

Thanks.

cerescop

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 02:42:29 am »

the .WAV file is a file that is usually associated with the normal CD music file they are big and bulky. Songs go thirty to forty mega bytes. the compressed audio file your computer file was talking about was a .mp3 file, most likely.

Vision River

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:22:13 am »

the .WAV file is a file that is usually associated with the normal CD music file they are big and bulky. Songs go thirty to forty mega bytes. the compressed audio file your computer file was talking about was a .mp3 file, most likely.

Just read your story about playing Silent Night, in another thread. Great story!

Thanks for the info. For people who have worked with music files, this must be very simple. For me, it seems very complicated. I also installed iTunes and haven't found a way to convert to mp3 with it either. But I will test the theory that the compressed audio file is an mp3.

Nephiel

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 09:29:58 am »

MP3, WMA, OGG... all these are types of compressed audio files. You will have to configure CDex to use one of them (e.g. MP3). Here's a step by step guide: http://www.users.on.net/~alexanderino/cdex/
Just skip the first step, you don't need to download or install anything else.

edit: I just noticed the "Learning to Play Mountain Ocarina" CDs are not listed in freedb.org. This means CDex will not be able to automatically rename and tag the MP3 files with info such as "Artist", "Title" and so on - you would have to fill that info for each track by hand. Since I have already converted and tagged my CDs, I can submit tag info to freedb.org to save everyone that step. Just give me a day to do that.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:44:47 am by Nephiel » Logged
Vision River

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:47:41 pm »

MP3, WMA, OGG... all these are types of compressed audio files. You will have to configure CDex to use one of them (e.g. MP3). Here's a step by step guide: http://www.users.on.net/~alexanderino/cdex/
Just skip the first step, you don't need to download or install anything else.

edit: I just noticed the "Learning to Play Mountain Ocarina" CDs are not listed in freedb.org. This means CDex will not be able to automatically rename and tag the MP3 files with info such as "Artist", "Title" and so on - you would have to fill that info for each track by hand. Since I have already converted and tagged my CDs, I can submit tag info to freedb.org to save everyone that step. Just give me a day to do that.

Thanks again. And just to note, Cliff wrote back to 'feel free to rip the CDs for personal use.'

The term 'rip' is unfamiliar to me in this context, but I can imagine it means to extract and convert the files.

Nephiel

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 06:34:58 pm »

Right! The info for CD1 and CD3 is now up on freedb.org. CD2 will soon be there too. You might have to click "CDDB -> Read Remote freedb" on the top menu bar of CDex after placing each disc in the CD drive.

I left the disc number and track number as part of the title of each track to make the files easier to identify.

Vision River

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 06:57:19 pm »

Right! The info for CD1 and CD3 is now up on freedb.org. CD2 will soon be there too. You might have to click "CDDB -> Read Remote freedb" on the top menu bar of CDex after placing each disc in the CD drive.

I left the disc number and track number as part of the title of each track to make the files easier to identify.

Sounds like you are doing good work. When the 3 CDs are on freedb.org, I will focus on figuring out how it all fits together to enable me to load and play the mp3 files on the SanDisk player that is coming.

How do I get to the info for CD1 and CD3 on freedb.org??

Freedb.org is new to me, and fascinating. Nephiel, are you also into the music psychology?

For all, there is an intriguing lead-in to a link for the book, 'This Is Your Brain on Music' on freedb.org's home page, http://www.freedb.org/.

"A fascinating exploration of the relationship between music & the mind

"(From the Publisher) Whether you load your MP3 Player with Bach or Bono, music has a significant role in your life-even if you never realized it. Why does music evoke such powerful moods? The answers are at last becoming clear, thanks to revolutionary neuroscience and the emerging field of evolutionary psychology. Both a cutting-edge study and a tribute to the beauty of music itself, This Is Your Brain on Music unravels a host of mysteries that affect everything from pop culture to our understanding of human nature."

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:02:28 pm by Vision River » Logged

Nephiel

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 07:24:55 pm »

To quote the wikipedia, freedb is
Quote from: Wikipedia
a database for software applications to look up audio CD (compact disc) information over the Internet. This is performed by a client which calculates a (nearly) unique disc ID and then queries the database. As a result, the client is able to display the artist name, CD title, track list and some additional information.
Here's the wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB

Since that info is now online, when you put those CDs on a computer, any software that uses freedb (such as CDex) will be able to retrieve it automatically via internet. You could also type "mountain ocarinas" (with the quotes) on the search box on the freedb.org site and it should return that same info. It's quite handy.

I hadn't seen the link about that book at first (dismissed it as an advertisement I guess) but on second thought it looks like it might be a good read.

Vision River

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »

Since that info is now online, when you put those CDs on a computer, any software that uses freedb (such as CDex) will be able to retrieve it automatically via internet. You could also type "mountain ocarinas" (with the quotes) on the search box on the freedb.org site and it should return that same info. It's quite handy.

Nephiel,

The SanDisk player arrived and I managed somehow to get the Mountain Myst album onto it. But with the MO Learning CD, I am so far all thumbs. CDex seemed to read the info you put into freedb. I just have not gotten anywhere with getting mp3 files onto the player from the CD. Any more tips?

Nephiel

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 08:34:00 am »

Do you already have the CDs converted to MP3 files on your computer?
If so, assuming your Sandisk player is like 90% of MP3 players on the market, it should be enough to plug it into a USB port and a new disk drive should show up in "My PC". Then you'd only have to drag (or copy&paste) the MP3 files to that drive.

Vision River

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 04:26:10 pm »

Do you already have the CDs converted to MP3 files on your computer?
If so, assuming your Sandisk player is like 90% of MP3 players on the market, it should be enough to plug it into a USB port and a new disk drive should show up in "My PC". Then you'd only have to drag (or copy&paste) the MP3 files to that drive.

I downloaded FreeRip from CNet and was able to convert the CD to mp3 and load the files onto the player.

Thank you!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: