Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
October 22, 2019, 03:49:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: 300 Celtic Folktunes attempt  (Read 42784 times)
Harp Player

« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »

I found a triple plastic one for about $70.  That might be an option once I get a job.  It don't have the tone of the purple clay, but I would at least be able to try a triple fairly cheap.  It might even be a bit more rugged than the clay.

spacefood
Active Newbie

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2012, 03:01:49 am »

Wow 4efs congrats on all  your hard work! They sound great.

Traeak

« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2012, 08:06:30 pm »

I found a triple plastic one for about $70.  That might be an option once I get a job.  It don't have the tone of the purple clay, but I would at least be able to try a triple fairly cheap.  It might even be a bit more rugged than the clay.

I had a plastic triple.  I got mad at it and sold it because it would air out the high notes on the first chamber due to condensation issues.  Usually took 5-10mins or so.  Made me pretty frustrated with it (I had the better one of the available 2).

The other problem with a transverse alto-c triple in general is that the highest chamber is almost a dog whistle, not really good for anyone's ears.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:08:38 pm by Traeak » Logged

Poly G&C, Warmstone G
spacefood
Active Newbie

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2012, 12:02:57 am »

I've got a plastic triple too, and I have the same problem. After about five minutes it sounds like crap due to the condensation. consequently I hardly ever play it, and when I do I generally just get annoyed.

Harp Player

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2012, 05:16:28 pm »

Thanks for the heads up on the plastic triple  I don't like spending money on something that has issues like that.

4efs

« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:10 pm »

Wow 4efs congrats on all  your hard work! They sound great.
Thanks Spacefood!

My triple's highest register is worthless to me too. For me, I think a double would be more than adequate for anything I'd ever want to do, maybe even a 12 hole.

Mostly, I like my MOs   Grin

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
Auroch

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2014, 08:09:01 pm »

I've had my plastic triple since the summer of 2012 and love it. It's such an incredible instrument and I respect it just as much as I respect my MOs.

I can't say that mine has "condensation issues" though I'm fairly conscious of how much moisture I produce during any given Oc session - regardless of what type of Ocarina I'm playing. If I produce more moisture, is it really the Ocarina that has an issue? For me personally, the answer is no ...simply because of what I have learned from my own experiences. I'll share an example. I can have a swig of water a minute or two before playing and even if I clear my mouth very well, the moisture has increased dramatically (Yes. Dramatically) - which makes it easier to transfer that moisture into the chamber(s) of the Ocarina if I don't control it while playing. On the other hand, I drink green tea every day and there are some types that dry out my mouth extraordinarily fast. So fast that I can swallow some and 30 seconds later play my Oc for five or ten minutes and when I am done - the inside of the Ocarina is virtually bone-dry. It's the same water in both situations, just that one has herbs and is a different temperature. I could technically be spitting moisture into my MOs all day and then start to think that they have condensation issues and start disliking them though to me, that wouldn't be fair to the instrument, true or even remotely accurate. Now I'm not saying I never have to suck moisture from a windway during a session though I will say that it happens just as often on the MOs as any other Ocarina I've ever played aaand coming to know what things produce more or less moisture for me is a great benefit and helps me to be a more responsible player.

So if you're someone who has purchased a triple and feels somewhat let down or frustrated by it, I would encourage you to experiment a little bit and see what happens. You might not have the same results though you could possibly learn something useful from the additional exploration:)

As for the third chamber. Yes, it can be loud though again, it's really up to the player to learn how to use and work with the Ocarina. If I'm in a very small room with a few other people, I'm more inclined to play my C over the G due to how "loud" the G's higher tones can sound compared to the C's (depending on the acoustics of the room of course). In the same way, the third chamber of a triple can sound ear-piercing if you're playing in a fairly small area though when I play on a wide-open main floor (kitchen, living room connected, etc.), on the edge of a field or in the woods - the third chamber is very easy to work with/tolerate.

These are simply some of the things I've experienced and which work for me:) If you can take something useful from it - great! If not, don't feel obligated to enjoy triples as much as I do Wink

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:04:22 pm by Auroch » Logged

Auroch
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: