Our guarantees Forum - Discussion Board Ocarina Lessons about us about our ocarinas ocarina video ocarina sound samples ocarinas and music Home Page
April 04, 2020, 06:10:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Karl in The 5-Minute Musician's Club™.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dactylly Challenged!!! (Little Fingers)  (Read 4694 times)
rbentrdr
Active Newbie

« on: February 03, 2012, 11:21:45 pm »

Hi.  New to the forum.  I bought a polyc. in C awhile back and I just bought a beautiful warmstone in a green color.  Very excited about that (I really don't like the feel of the plastic on my lips).  I picked C because I play flute and most all of my music is in C (the fingerings are remarkably alike).  I'd like to look at the G later.  Does it just get whole notes and the F sharp?
My greatest challenge is getting the holes completely blocked.  I wear a size 4 1/2 ring. I finally came up with a solution that might help, though.  If you've ever worked with paper a lot, like in an office setting, there are these little thing we called "rubber fingers."  They go over your finger tip and down to the first joint and help you flip through paper easier.  I recently bought some at the local office supply store, but I need a larger size for my thumb. That's my hardest - the left thumb hole.  It sounds airy to me most of the time.  The low C is iffy but I just need practice.  Anyway, looking forward to hearing from others who have found the Mountain Ocarina. 

rbentrdr
Active Newbie

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:42:11 am »

P.S.  Looked up the fingerings to G to see that it has many sharps and flats. 

Dan Hazy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 03:38:29 am »

Hello, welcom to the forum Smiley

The G makes as many whole notes and sharps as the C. I hope the "rubber fingers" work out for you. Wink

Dan Hazy
4efs

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 07:41:11 am »

Welcome!

The holes on the G are a little smaller, it might be even easier for you to play.
The fingerings are just the same and you can play it just like it is a C instrument.  Smiley

"The real secret of success is enthusiasm." -Walter Chrysler
rbentrdr
Active Newbie

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 01:45:27 am »

Well, I rec'd my warmstone today and was very excited.  In the few days I've been waiting, I've definately improved. I didn't use the rubber fingers after all. Mostly because they're too small for my thumbs, which was part of the problem.  I just needed more practice. I'm thinking about the G and have asked the difference on a separate topic.  I might have to wait awhile, which will give me more time with the C.  Thanks to all that have replied!

cerescop

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:53:30 am »

The difference between the two instruments are few. The g has one more finger hole, but they play the same range of notes, numericaly.  The lowest  note on the C is played by under blowing the low note. So you get two tones from the last hole. The G is higher pitched, smaller, and lighter and easier to wear as a necklace. They both have the shap/flat notes as well as they are both chromatic playing all the sarps and flats from top of range to the bottom.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: